Author Topic: Slayer's Crappy Used Ship Lot  (Read 65832 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Slayer's Crappy Used Ship Lot
Cookie to you sir.  I was shooting for the Hood, I hadn't even really looked at the Queen Victorias.  Actually the standard dreadnought class for this faction is based of the interwar era Queen Elizabeth class, after she had refitted with the single stack but before they had done away with the rakish conning tower and tripod masts in favor of a giant brick.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Hey its a TNG era... um cutdown Galaxy class.  Something a bit smaller and a lot faster.  Sure the symmetry on the saucer is botched but I'm lazy and its close enough for gov't work :D

Some additional views of the KGNFS 2 seater fighter, I dunno big heavy duty biplanes are fun.  A swarm of these peeling out of the clouds on an Maulheld class  super aerodreadnought would be pretty cool.

And something inspired by VIA.  I really dug the sorta 60-70s look of bbzwbbzw's early stuff and decided to roll with that angle.  If it isn't glaring obvious its inspired by a MiG-21 UM LanceR-B.  I might build a few more if I can be arsed.  Something F-8 Crusader and A-4 Skyhawk based might be nice.

for those not familiar with VIA consider yourselves informed: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-gallery/45208-vir-inter-astrum.html

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

A Wolfen concept I did for Shadows of Lyat.  Funny enough I never played Star Fox so my designs for them tend to be a little off the beaten path.

I've got a few more things cooking including a Leman Russ Demolisher MBT and I'm toying with a compiling a set of sketches displaying Langschwert wards.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
... Leman Russ Demolisher MBT ...
DO WANT!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Demolisher is not an MBT. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Eh. S'long as we get to see the Demolisher.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
DO THE ROOSTERSAURUS REX HAVE LARGE TALONS?!!

And in slightly more serious news, a couple older shots of some aerodreadnought "verse" capital Ships. A von Kliest Zitadelle class carrier and Gryphon Undine class light cruiser.  Neither of these are really final versions though, both have had a bit of refinement here and there especially the Zitadelle which is one of the oldest designs i did for the verse.

Zitadelle:

Undine:

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
[Tangentially-related]Yay, I now have a scifi-meshes.com account, so I can view attachments there.[/tangentially-related]

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
It's amazing the level of detail you put into these.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The design ethic on these wierds me out, openly mixing WWI and WWII styles like that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:27:40 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Reminds me a lot of the concept, if not the exact design, of the anime series Last Exile.  There's something fundamentally cool about giant flying battleships.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I see that.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Reminds me a lot of the concept, if not the exact design, of the anime series Last Exile.  There's something fundamentally cool about giant flying battleships.

Design wise I'm riffing as much as possible from real world warships rather then more unique steampunk style of Last Exile, though they are in similar vein.  I certainly wont have Gryphon Royal Marines on deck standing in firing lines the shooting at von Kliest Kriegsschiff Grenadiers like its the Napoleonic era however. 

NGTM-1R You weirded out bad or good? The KGN is the most technically advanced fleet and is based off the inter war look of Royal Navy ships like the Hood and Queen Elizabeth class.  von Kliest, with the exception of the Zitadelle which is driven off the Akagi/Shōkaku, are going to be GHSF influenced specifically the Derfflinger and Seydlitz/Moltke/Von der Tann.  I'm still nailing down the third faction's capital ships, right now I'm waffling between gilded pre-dreadnoughts or really industrial looking ships like the Courbet  or Imperatritsa Maria Class.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It's good; frankly WWI ships drive me up the wall with their open secondary batteries and weird designs (not all main battery turrets on the centerline, wtf's with that!?), but the combination of a WWI hullform and WWII armament layout gives me a moment's "whut"  every time I look.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
A few Updates most of these are WIPs and i used a different scanner this time with less capability shall we say.

Dpv.8 Zornhau:

The aircraft are named for the master strokes of German Longsword, Zornhau is the strike of wrath.  The tail symbol is a stand in but I am pretty happy with the heraldry.  Basically von Kliest has strong knightly traditions and those Orders saw the aerocraft as the heir to their warhorses and embraced the air service.  Therefore heraldry is a standard part of their aircraft.  The shield is split into three major parts. The top always will have the wolf head, which is the symbol of von Kliest itself.  Behind it is the colours of the particular Duchy the unit hails from, von Kliest only recently coalesced from a bunch of semi independent (sometimes warring) duchies.  In the bottom left is the Ritterorden or knightly order, which is analogous to the parent Air Group.  Finally the bottom right panel is the Jasta or squadron number.

Kingdom Gryphon Naval Flight Corps Pilots:

I modeled it loosely on World War 2 USAAF bomber gear.  Flight cap and goggles, heavy turtleneck sweater, thick insulated pilot trousers, leather bomber jacket, insulated boots and gauntlets.  Over that goes the harness for the shoulder armor, flight mask and parachute.  Finally a gunbelt with a Model 58 revolver.

Kingdom Royal Armory Model 58 Revolver:

Standard sidearm for Gryphon armed forces.  Its a 44 caliber revolver with an underslung barrel.  I basically mated two weapons I really like the look of, the Remington 1858 New Army and Mateba Autorevolver.  The hammer might technically be a little out of place but it looked silly if I adjusted it. 

Knight:

Basically I got irritated with silly ass fantasy armor and decided to draw something a little more functional.  It's still very WIP, and I'll get round to finishing her later.  I'm considerin' drawing up some pictures of the various wards from Hans Talhoffer and I might use her as the model.  As pictured she is in sort of a loose stance for half sword not sorta between plow and fools ward.

VIA inspired fighter:

Not particularly stoked with how it came out, but I drew it so I figured I should put it up.

:jaw:

:yes:

Are you a professional?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
It's good; frankly WWI ships drive me up the wall with their open secondary batteries and weird designs (not all main battery turrets on the centerline, wtf's with that!?), but the combination of a WWI hullform and WWII armament layout gives me a moment's "whut"  every time I look.

a lot of the WWI battleships experimented with turret placement especially pre-dreadnoughts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship#Pre-dreadnought_battleship
so some novel placments arrived, i believe center line was avoided for many early designs for fear of capsizing on a full broadside salvo
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
You assume I don't know this stuff. And no, actually it was just because the designers were idiots used to having two broadside main batteries. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Cool revolver. sorta looks like a non-auto version of a Mateba Unica 6.

Here's a plastic replica of a customized one used in some anime. http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/org/seburo/2F/ithaqua/ith01.html

The Mateba MTR-8 is another weird, low barrel revolver design. It has the cylinder in front of the trigger guard but is not a low barrel design, though the barrel is lower than on most conventional automatics. http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg185-e.htm

Some guns from various anime, some exact copies of real guns, some slightly or highly modified and some total fantasy. http://crimsonsguns.tripod.com/animeguns.html
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Not bad (better faces than I can do) but you need to work on your line quality. Try using something like prismacolour col-erase photosafe blue for the initial sketch and then go over it with 2B or whatever you use. That way you final sketch won't have those sketchy lines in it like the one chick's arm.

One thing you might want to try as well is to use Letraset Promarkers to do your shading (or even your initial sketches).  Designs can turn out quite nice that way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:09:24 pm by Akalabeth Angel »