Author Topic: "Freespace 2: Halo" is Back!  (Read 41136 times)

Re: "Freespace 2: Halo" is Back!
The fact of the matter is Halo is a mediocre FPS that's only winning element is the amount of balance it has. Other than that, the story bites and it feels far too kiddy to be taken serious., which is probably why it's so popular. It steals the spotlight from too many well deserving games that are inmensly better.

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Well fear not! It isn't like I'm going to have Master Chief in space! The space elements are hardly mentioned in the Halo series anyways. I just like the tech difference between the UNSC and the Covenant. Makes for some very interesting balance issues. And I like the designs of the ships used in the Halo cutscenes, which is what inspired me in the first place.

Halo-bash elsewhere, if you please. A good chioce to flame some hardcore players would be either http://www.bungie.net/Forums/default.aspx, http://www.gruntsrus.com/forum/index.php, or perhaps http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl  :D

Though I'd expect a tremendous backlash (akin to 80 Sathanas juggernaughts blowing the hell outa some poor Fenris) from the fans there.  :snipe:

But seriously, I'd love to hear your take on what I've done with it here in the HLP forums.

Devrous <3 You
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 05:14:58 am by Devrous »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You had a home on SG. But nay. You chose to defect. :mad:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The fact of the matter is Halo is a mediocre FPS that's only winning element is the amount of balance it has. Other than that, the story bites and it feels far too kiddy to be taken serious., which is probably why it's so popular. It steals the spotlight from too many well deserving games that are inmensly better.

Would you oh so kindly please list them?  If you're feeling nice, then put their pros and cons also, and include Halo (&2) as well.  Then perhaps I can make sense of this.  If there are games with better storylines than Halo, and gameplay that isn't aweful, then maybe I'd like to give them a try myself... :D  Oh, and plz don't list one and say "There are tons of them, like game x" and just leave it.  If you do so, I shall be forced to doubt your statement that the Halo storyline is dreadful compared to others.  Easy to say that, not so easy to back it up.  (Unless you know from experience.)

So you've never played FEAR, Half Life 2+Ep.1, Far Cry or STALKER?

Just HL2 EP1 was on its own better than any other fps, despite its shortness.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Nope, I haven't... any more on that list *fires up Bittorrent amazon.com*  *I'll buy them if I like them enough.  Why waste my money if I don't want to buy it?  Although, maybe I'll try renting if it's not too expensive.  Ahm... So, which would you recommend first?  HL I can get at Wally World, I've seen that on the shelf.

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Ok, I will indulge this tangent for a moment.

Half-Life has always been a great game, maybe even the greatest of its kind. And Half-Life 2 blew my mind; absolutely stunning. FEAR is a lot of fun, too, as is Far Cry. But they are very different games, and Halo is, too. They handle differently; like two sports cars with similar specs, yet made by different motor companies. They each have something unique to offer, and each appeals to a certain type of person. If all cars were made equal, there would be no competition. Same for FPS games, or ANY game for that matter.

Perhaps you don't like Halo because of its mainstream popularity, or maybe you truly just hate the gameplay. In either case, I am sure everyone here appreciates your opinion, and I am also sure they ask the same of you. AND isn't this a Freespace site, anyways?!?!?  :lol:

You had a home on SG. But nay. You chose to defect. :mad:

I would seriously reconsider your accusations. I don't need any rampant flaming here in this section, nor anywhere else. Please be civil, and get your facts straight first.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 04:36:43 am by Devrous »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I would seriously reconsider your accusations. I don't need any rampant flaming here in this section, nor anywhere else. Please be civil, and get your facts straight first.

I was only joking. :P

I'm a fan of Halo and I'm looking forward to this one. :)

I was only joking. :P

I'm a fan of Halo and I'm looking forward to this one. :)

conformist

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Phreak.

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H

Two weeks ago I posted a tour video showcasing some of the elements of FS2H. It was serious yet exciting. Today's tour video is...well..."a blast."

While testing for balance issues I found that Covenant ships could be very dangerous to face if you just attack them outright. And to add some fun, the soundtrack for this tour is not serious Halo canon, but instead that CRAZY FRENCH SONG, courtesy of Snail and many other FS2 modders who put that dang annoying, yet lovable, link in their sig   :hopping:

FS2H Tour #2 - 16.98MB AVI
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/3/1138696/fs2htour2.avi

Relish the insanity.

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's Finnish, not French. :P

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But a nice trailer anyway.

Liking those beams too.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

I think we now know where the Cylon Raiders in the new BSG series come from... :lol: Never imagined that the Covenant was behind all!

...just kidding, obviously. This seems to be advancing with fairly impressive pace. Keep it up... :yes:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Wait a sec...it's Finnish?!?

:eek2:

Someone told me it was French...someone lied to me... :mad:

I'm half Finnish...my dad's family tree goes way back in Finland. I think my grandmother fled Finland cause the Soviets were going to kill her family so they could get the deed to their land. Her father was a baron or duke or something.

Heh, shows how much I know of my heritage's language.  :(  I know more Japanese and Spanish than I do Finnish!!!

In a lighter note, I was wondering what would happen at leekspin if you kept it going for more than 9 hours, since there is only one zero in the hours space. Turns out that it can go to 10+ with no cool effect like a message saying "Why are you still watching this? Go get a girlfriend!"  :lol:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I heard that if you watch it for more than 2 hrs it changes its beat or something but I've watched up to seven hours and I've yet to hear something like that.

Offline Wolfy

hey, i only found out about this mod yesterday.... which point i read the weekly updates and this thread

Im very impressed for a one man team. Cant wait for the Demo to be released (thats if yer still planning the demo)... heck i cant wait for the final version either :p

Im not sure how FRED works, but seeming both BTRL and TBP come with FRED then im guesing this will as well? *Cant wait to make halo missions
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah for a one-man project this has gone extremely far.

Offline Wolfy

does anyone know when the aproximate release date for the demo is? when i was readingthe updates and stuff, i beleive the was that it was going to be released in june/july time? obviously, thats subject to change though...
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07