Author Topic: Models giveaway  (Read 22969 times)

Offline SolCommand

• Time Bandit
    • My free 3D models
Hey guys.

A few years ago I was working on a mod that was supposed to be a complete overhaul for Freelancer but somehow after a wile the project closed due to lack of enough ppl in the team. During that time I created a number of models that were supposed to get textured and imported in the game but unfortunately they never made it.
A couple of months ago I remembered about the game when I was browsing on a gaming site for new combat scifi games to play and realized I still have those models on a usb stick somewhere ... I found it after a wile searching all around the house and thought it would be cool if I give all these models to the community, maybe someone will find a use for some of them, who knows. Anyway I released my models for public download on another Freelancer community website( The Starport) and since then I've created some more, some even textured. There are about 70 or more models available for download, most are WIPs and they're in 3DS and OBJ format. You can use them for any mod/game you wish.

You can preview some of my models on my blog:
http://solcommand.blogspot.com/

And you can download them all from here:
http://digitalbrilliance.org/SC/
or
http://cid-5d0715049236d05b.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

I also make models on request if you really really need a model but I'm involved in many projects atm so my time is limited, thus I may or may not take your project. If you decide to contact me, you can do it at >the starport<.

Thank you for your time and enjoy my models
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:17:13 pm by SolCommand »

Wow, quite some good stuff in there. And most of them aren't even warships; indeed, good civilian/industrial models are all too rare (at least in the FS community). Awesome job :):yes:

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Wow. And thanks a lot. Like FSF said, there is a lot of potentially good stuff in there.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline SolCommand

• Time Bandit
    • My free 3D models
Cheers guys
I'd love some screenshots of the models ingame if you decide to use some of them  :nod:

Oh wow... definitely some good stuff there.  I'm going to have to spend some time looking through all the models.  :nod:
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Some very nice stuff there, would be interesting to see what they would look like mapped.

I already see a good transport combo, the Bellom and the Ledo  :)

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Cool.

It seems you have a sort of story going. Why don't you think about putting this in FS?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I second that idea. 

And I love that Human Destroyer/Battleship thing.  Looks really cool.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline SolCommand

• Time Bandit
    • My free 3D models
Here's a destroyer I just made along the lines of my Human Warship and Cobra fighter:

Preview
http://i49.tinypic.com/osrjw3.jpg

Download model
http://www.2shared.com/file/10310756/b7ff9e00/Anna-V.html

Custom texture mapping FTW  :yes:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I really like the Anna, it looks like a great Terran-Vasudan hybrid along the lines of the old Great War-era Vasudan freighters.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'm very excited at the prospect of getting some of these small stations ingame. I already have a boatload of texturing to do though :(

Still, very useful resource if someone can texture them.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline SolCommand

• Time Bandit
    • My free 3D models
Decided I'd a quick vid of the ship, it's not perfect but will do :) The ship is not always centered and sometimes it moves too fast but ... that's life lolz  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKS6059fCrg

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I Downloaded the Anna V and... as much as I  like the ship (As Galemp said, it'd go great as a Vasudan freighter circa FS1 or earlier), but I have to know, what on earth did you do to that texture? It looks like you maybe painted it on on a 3d paint program and then autoexported the UV? Because it's massively inefficient - I had a look at the numbers in PSP and something like 79.8% of your texture file is unused space. To put that into context, the UV file I'm texturing at the moment has around 15.5% unusued space. In other words, even with a reasonably inefficient UV Map (unitilizing, say 75% of the mapspace) You could get exactly the same amount of detail into a 1024x1024 map - a quarter of the current size. Also, as it stands now, making a shine or bump map for it would be very difficult.

The way it's done also means that it makes the texture look very pixellated, even at relatively forgiving zooms (ingame you tend to get quite close to ships in order to scan/take out turrets etc, so pixellation issues would become more serious.

So, yeah, I guess it's more a suggestion for the future than anything that's likely to be able to be changed for the Anna V at this point, but keeping your UV maps efficient would be a good habit to get into generally.

Otherwise, I want to again mention how much I like having all these small stations. Once I'ved finished my current projects (which I've been motivated to speed up now :)) I will probably be UVing and texturing at least one or two of these.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline SolCommand

• Time Bandit
    • My free 3D models
I know of the texture issue and it's already been solved starting with my latest model. I may go back and solve it on the Destroyer also when I'll find time

Can you export to the Collada DAE format? I tried importing the Shey Ke capship into Blender, and it looks like below; the DAE importer is more reliable.

Offline SolCommand

• Time Bandit
    • My free 3D models
Done -> converted to OBJ and DAE format. Note that I've never converted to dae format before so i do not know what settings I need to apply to convert properly. You should try OBJ if dae does not work.

Download link:
http://www.2shared.com/file/10386674/427eca34/Shey_Ke_capital_ship_by_SolCom.html

Hmm, the DAE didn't work (said something about a "NoneType" object not having an attribute "split") - but the OBJ worked fine. Thanks a lot :)

Offline SolCommand

• Time Bandit
    • My free 3D models
I finished remaking the Anna-V Destroyer couple of days ago.
Changes consist of :
- removed the plate with the name of the ship
- removed some solar panels
- small texture changes
- rearranged UVs

ALSO, the destroyer now comes with 20 texture variations. The preview is way to big to post here so you can >> see it if you click this link <<.
Took me 10 hours to bake all these textures  :o

This is the final version of the destroyer, if you still think the texture file could be better, feel free create your own custom texture that would fit better with your mod :) as I've already started working on another model.

Download the model here:
http://cid-5d0715049236d05b.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/Models%202010/Anna-V%20Destroyer%20Variations
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:31:48 pm by SolCommand »