Welcome to the Rendering Engine Overhaul Project.
This project is intended to investigate as many potential options for continued development and overhaul of the rendering engine of FreeSpaceOpen (FSO) as possible.
This will involve researching existing engines, the requirements of FSO and the requests of people involved in modding or coding for FSO.
There are a number of goals of the Rendering Engine Overhaul Project:
- Generate documentation for the FSO engine and components thereof
- Investigate and evaluate rendering frameworks
- Investigate, evaluate, write, modify and collect tools to enable coders, modders and artists to work more efficiently
- Generate interest in the FSO engine and hopefully bring new artists, coders and modders into the fray
- Develop future planning, directions and libraries for the graphics components of the FSO engine
- Efficient use and provision of resources available
If you know of a graphics coder or a talented technical-artist (someone who is able to understand the needs and wishes of both the artists and coders), point them in our direction!
Whilst this project is officially examining the the rendering engine of FSO, we are open to discussing other components of the engine and how they inter-relate.
This is NOT a requests forum or a help forum - posts containing requests (where not clearly
asked for by the team) or requests for help with modding will be moved into the appropriate forum boards.
We are expecting significant discussion on the HOW and the WHY of engine components. Keep the politics OUT and the technical reasoning IN.
We are currently recruiting team members falling into the following categories:
- Significant graphics or platform coding and documentation experience (C and C++ desired but if you have coding experience with other languages we will help to move you to that platform)
- Significant and established software architecture knowledge and/or experience
- Significant FSO modding experience
- Experience with other 3D engines
- Significant 3D math experience or knowledge
- Significant art experience
- Established research and report writing skills
- Established documentation preparation and production skills
This is an extremely ambitious project - we need people who are dedicated to the project and willing to come with an open mind and significant technical skills.
PM portej05 to join the project!