Author Topic: Suggestions Thread  (Read 5343 times)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:15:20 am by portej05 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Go away, we don't want any.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Gregster, for ****'s sake, please read.

This is NOT a requests forum or a help forum - posts containing requests (where not clearly asked for by the team) or requests for help with modding will be moved into the appropriate forum boards.

Offline Tomo

Secondly, the Unreal Engine is totally and utterly inappropriate for any space-sim game.

It's a subtractive-BSP engine - levels are built by carving holes in a solid block.
FreeSpace 2 is additive - space is assumed to be empty, and solid objects are added.

Finally - this is NOT an 'engine-replacement' project.

Suggestions for replacement engines are NOT indicated.

Mods - close the thread.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's completely inappropriate for a space sim.  But it's definitely inappropriate for this subforum.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Open/Opened Source Resources & Inspiration
I thought it would be a good idea, to collect opened/open source game codes that could be used as resources (unlikely as SCP has a rather restricted license, but it might be worth a look) or as inspiration to see how other games implemented various ideas:

Item 1: The Homeworld source code

http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/

Obviously this game vastly had different priorities, but unlike most of the engines out there it's a space simulator. What might be of particular interest is how multiple textures and animation were handled in this code. It was also very script intensive, so it might also contain ideas on a scripting system.

No actual implementation can be used from this source (Relic put even more restriction on this than Volition did on FS2), however this game did a lot of stuff well and the source could be definitely worth a look for inspiration.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Open/Opened Source Resources & Inspiration
theres also oolite, which is a fully object oriented c++/opengl from scratch game engine. while its designed for lower end graphics it might provide a useful references for object oriented game engine design.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Alpha0

Re: Open/Opened Source Resources & Inspiration
Oolite is written in Objective-C, not C++. I wanted to also note that although the latest declared stable version is indeed aimed at lower end graphics, the game engine has evolved a lot since then and currently supports high-tech graphics as well, including shaders, normal and parallax mapping, glowmaps etc. The game is still distributed with the original models, but the capability is there and the source code of the latest test version (1.73.4) is of course available for anyone who is interested to have a look here. The screenshots section on the project's development site (https://developer.berlios.de/screenshots/?group_id=3577)might give an idea of what improvements have been made in the engine since 2006.