Author Topic: The FreeSpace Wiki's New Featured Campaign  (Read 7975 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The FreeSpace Wiki's New Featured Campaign
Yes, the one and only, and about time too.

The Second Great War Part 2 is brilliant. It is THE most underrated mod in the whole of FreeSpace. For sheer excitement and enjoyment, there is nothing that beats it. It is, hands down, the best mod for FreeSpace I've played ever since I got into FS2. If you thought BP:AoA:DC and PI are good, you'll find that comparing them to SGWP2 is like comparing two twigs to a pillar of diamonds.

That's from http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page. Go look around. :)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: The FreeSpace Wiki's New Featured Campaign
It started off very slowly, but past the first command briefing, it was sheer, unadulterated, triple distilled awesome.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
You just know someone is going to come along and take this serioulsy...
* redsniper facepalms preemptively
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
:lol:

I love you guys.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
You just know someone is going to come along and take this serioulsy...
* redsniper facepalms preemptively
Because it's still the in the afternoon in the US. :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's the campaign that got myself interested in HLP.

I salute you!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's not April Fools' anymore can we get rid of it now?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Actually, could we get the Blue Planet Director's Cut featured? I'd like to make sure those voice actors get a good audience, and while it's already a popular campaign, I think all that community effort (both inside and outside HLP) that went into it deserves some more spotlight time.

EDIT: okay, this was a bad idea, please don't kill me

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:18:15 pm by General Battuta »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
That's not the only campaign out there, not to mention it's not NEW. If it's about changing the featured campaign, set it Storm Front, that's not an update and it's even more recent, and it's not OVERADVERTISED like BP.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Nothing can be done while BW has the Wiki in a stranglehold anyway.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's not the only campaign out there, not to mention it's not NEW. If it's about changing the featured campaign, set it Storm Front, that's not an update and it's even more recent, and it's not OVERADVERTISED like BP.

It's the biggest recent release since Silent Threat Reborn. I was under the impression that featured campaigns were largely determined by quality, right? The Procyon Insurgency was the last one on there, and ST:R was up for a while before that.

BP gets a lot of exposure due to its popularity, but Darius is actually rather publicity-shy which leaves it up to the fans. Given the huge number of people involved in this release, I think it's worthwhile. (And as I mentioned before, that one Wiki incident was just a copy/paste error, not an advertisement.)

We can do Storm Front afterwards if you're all right with that - it's a new release, after all, and probably deserves some time to season.

Once the wiki is un-locked-down I'll work on setting it up if you're okay with it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
You received an entire, separate forum for a BP update, not a new release (at least not until WiH is done, which is a different matter), people talk a lot about BP anyway, largely due to you advertising BP in almost every single post you make. What else do you want? You're giving the impression that FS modding is wholly about Blue Planet.

I'm not even sure that requesting BP be set as a new featured campaign is ethical by a staffer, especially if this staffer happens to be the most adamant fan of the mod.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh, hardly. There are lots of other great mods that I mention in 'every post' - the standard list is Derelict, Transcend, ST:R, Windmills, The Procyon Insurgency, and a couple others, not to mention the total conversions.

And the Blue Planet forum existed well before the voice acting effort ever started, or before I even joined the team - in fact, it showed up back when Darius was the only person involved, so I have no idea what the process behind it was. So the BP forum was actually a reward for the original campaign being so good; it had nothing to do with the Director's Cut and predated it by months or years.

In any case what you're calling a 'BP update' was a huge new release, with a ton of voice acting, and it's mostly those voice actors I'm hoping to reward. Dozens of community members and semi-pros helped out.

I do agree with your last point, though, I'll leave it up to those who don't have a stake in it. I'd just like to see those voice actors given the spotlight at some point.

(Out of curiosity, did you actually play the Director's Cut? As a piece of work it's pretty substantial; in fact, it contributed one of the coolest changes in modding in recent years, namely the new AI Fury did based on Wanderer and Sushi's code. It's not exactly a patch.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:58:57 pm by General Battuta »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
It's highlighted, there's a stickied thread about it in a separate, frequently visited forum. Very few campaigns have the privilege of this. Mostly campaigns just disappear, even those that many people worked on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, like I just said:

I do agree with your last point, though, I'll leave it up to those who don't have a stake in it. I'd just like to see those voice actors given the spotlight at some point.

So I'm not sure what you're worried about - I agree that it was a breach of etiquette to make the request.

And frankly most campaigns disappear because they aren't great or aren't polished.

I guess the question here is whether spotlighted campaigns should be selected on the basis of quality, or on the basis of needing a boost. I'd love to see Windmills spotlighted at some point because it was just that damn good, but it also didn't get a massive amount of buzz the way Transcend has.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:09:58 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And I apologize if you feel like there's been any spotlight-whoring going on. But I think BP's been good for the modding scene in general; we try to release our cool stuff for everybody to use.

If there's anything you want to talk about, though, let me know.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Actually, I would agree with TopAce. As our download numbers, and the number of visitors and commenters in our forum shows, we are getting all the feedback we could wish for, and while more wouldn't hurt (we ARE blatant publicity whores, after all), it also isn't necessary. Always remember Our Glorious Leader's words: "We are a humble mod". BP has been a featured campaign in the past, it will be again at some point in the future.

After all, the featured campaign thing is meant to highlight not only campaigns that already are famous, it is meant to wake interest in lesser known ones as well.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, you're right. I am disgraced.

I shall commit virtual seppuku!

Offline Snail