Author Topic: Stupid Ideas mark 2  (Read 6306 times)

okay, I have got a couple of ideas for the wiki.
first off, most ships only have one picture, some two. While that's no problem for retail ships, for user made ships it's a bit sketchy. Would it be a good idea to just add a link under the picture to a place where more angles of the specified ship are shown. I'll demonstrate that as soon as I get FSO back into my computer.
secondly, in the user made ships list, why isn't there a link to the ships in TBP, BtRL and WoD? should such a link exist?
thirdly, most user made ships have varying descriptions and specifications from mod to mod. should all these be specified, or just some of them (eg: the mod that used it first....)
last, but not least, a good deal of ships have a lot of retextures. Should these also be presented in the ships wiki page?
All the good,
Luke

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
okay, I have got a couple of ideas for the wiki.
first off, most ships only have one picture, some two. While that's no problem for retail ships, for user made ships it's a bit sketchy. Would it be a good idea to just add a link under the picture to a place where more angles of the specified ship are shown. I'll demonstrate that as soon as I get FSO back into my computer.

i think that's a good idea. Infact, i think the creator of the ship should provide an ortho.

secondly, in the user made ships list, why isn't there a link to the ships in TBP, BtRL and WoD? should such a link exist?

If you mean download links, then i guess because they are not "user" made, and part of a specific mod/ game.

thirdly, most user made ships have varying descriptions and specifications from mod to mod. should all these be specified, or just some of them (eg: the mod that used it first....)

I think, that the description the creator of the ship wrote is just fine.
When a mod wants to change that, it's their business.

last, but not least, a good deal of ships have a lot of retextures. Should these also be presented in the ships wiki page?
All the good,
Luke

Uhm, No. You might end up with a dozen pics, showing the same ship with different textures.
It should be noted in the comments that there are different textures for the given ship available though.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Uhm, No. You might end up with a dozen pics, showing the same ship with different textures.
It should be noted in the comments that there are different textures for the given ship available though.

Actually, I'm really reall\y behind this idea. At present we don't really have any way to know what reskins exist or where they are or how to get them. It would good to have one.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

1. well, sometimes the ship designer isn't around, so we could do it.
2. I mean should there be a wiki list with the ships from these games? not download links, just a wiki list, with links to their articles also on the wiki. You know. Like the FreeSpace list?
3. Some of them ACTUALLY have more than one description....
4. No idea, this is your ball guys!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
All the good,
Luke

Tell that to all the Twist of Fate re-skins currently up. :p
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
All the good,
Luke

Tell that to all the Twist of Fate re-skins currently up. :p

All...two of them?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I thought there were a few more than that, I think I Was thinking more of the whole-new BP pages for renamed ships
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The BP ships generally have a fair amount of content and effort put into them, with new tech descriptions and stuff (like, uh, new tech descriptions.)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The ToF ships have new tech descriptions and armament as well as comments from Woolie as to why the loadout is like (generally).
I think they're fine as long as they're not linked from the main list of user-made ships (unless they're really unique enough) but instead linked from their parent article as offshoots or whatever. I'm fine with them having their own page.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Then I'm up for keeping them.