Author Topic: Ancient-Shivan War: Ceremony (Campaign Idea)  (Read 2778 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Ancient-Shivan War: Ceremony (Campaign Idea)
It's more than likely that I won't FRED this, as an unofficial ASW minicampaign just wouldn't ignite peoples' interests. Even if I do decide to make this, there's little harm in sharing the plot background, so here it is:
Ancient-Shivan War
Ceremony

The destruction of the Apesokari in Verbex was a major pain for the Ancient Empire. They infiltrated the dominion of the Destroyers, and they paid the price. Verbex is an impregnable fortress world, and this is just the outskirt of Shivan territory. The Ancient fleet is being decimated. There is little hope for them to win this time.

Im'Halus, the failed Fleetmaster, has been replaced by the aging Han'thari. An exalted Vice Fleetmaster, Han'thari made sure no Aesdherian made it out alive from their homeland when the Empire launched its final attack. Now, he is given an inverse task: to flee with his fleet from enemy territory. Only one thing is the same: the escapees are facing an enemy of overwhelming strength. When the Core hurriedly commands him to destroy the Verbex-Vocruar jump node, hoping that would prevent the Shivan influx into Ancient territory, Han'thari had some reservations. He is aware that more is at stake than the survival of the Empire.

The Ancients construe subspace not only as a corridor to travel from one star system into another, but as an omnipotent living being, intimitely connected to the universe. The destruction of a jump node is like cutting out a piece from the universe, disrupting the predestined course of history. But what exactly is the correct course of history? Maybe the Empire will be able to surmount the Shivans, at a terrible cost, and the Empire will emerge as the undoubted rulers of the galaxy, as it is foreseen by the great seers. If that is so, then the collapse of the node may turn the tide, dooming the Ancient Empire, and possibly all sapient beings in this corner of the galaxy. Maybe the Shivans are destined to win, and the Empire could use their knowledge of subspace disturbances to eliminate their worthiest adversaries.

Whatever the consequence, the harm done to the universe will be irreversible. Han'thari must act, and he must act now. An obedient warrior all his life, Han'thari has silenced his inner demons and trusts the unfaltering wisdom of the Core.

And the destruction of a jump node is not to be done in a barbaric fashion. The sacrifice of a subspace tunnel, like the legacy of legendary warriors, must be celebrated. The strict protocol of this unique ceremony must be followed to the letter.

The Shivans interrupt the ceremony...
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Re: Ancient-Shivan War: Ceremony (Campaign Idea)
I like this, you give the Ancients more depth than we're used to... How would you envisage the celebrations?

It's Verbek, by the way :P

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
No specific ideas. I was thinking of weird ships patrolling around the node, chanting. Whatever that enhances the atmosphere.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Luis Dias

So the ancients actually lose everything because they were more concerned with not ****ing with the rituals?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The point is not whether they managed to deliver the ritual as required or not. The story's punchline is the collapse of the node.

Offline Luis Dias

Ah, so the shivans **** up the ceremony, but the ancients still get the job done.

Shivans are able to outmanouver the node path after this I imagine?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I didn't say they **** up the ceremony. Maybe they do, but the punchline lies elsewhere (again).

To clarify: this "ceremony" idea is fairly recent, but the rest was added today. Until yesterday, all I had in mind is that the Ancients have to seal off a node, and they do it amid a ceremony. They are the most spiritual race about subspace in FreeSpace.

Since the rest were added today, the details are missing, and won't be elaborated on until I decide to get back to this campaign. It's unlikely, but still possible. We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:12:05 pm by TopAce »

Offline Luis Dias

ok ok ok I won't piss you off further ;)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
You raised a valid question, and I elaborated on it in the previous post. I was editing it when you posted.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
That's a very nice idea ... and my mind is already full of pictures and sounds that would make a good atmosphere...

However, if I would make attempt on this I would bring too much from "my" Ancients into this ... and the Ancients as they appear in "The Shard Of Infinity" (and it's planned sequel) are very different from the ASW-Ancients...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."