Author Topic: HTL Ships From HW2:WWE  (Read 3589 times)

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
HTL Ships From HW2:WWE
I asked for permision to use the amazing models of the game B5: War Without End (Homeworld 2 Mod) and they said "ok".
Of course, we have to put proper credits for the models. That's not a problem.
The models, after the convertion to *.pof file, are fully compatible with Freespace 2's engine, so that are realy good news.
I want to make them compatible with TBP, so they can replace the old (and good looking) models, if anyone has a problem

List of models
EA: Omega, Nova, Olympus, Starfury, Thunderbolt, B5 station, GOD sat, Hyperion, MaintBot, Omega X, OrionStation, Warlock.
Mimbari: All of them
Shadows: battlecrab, spitfire, scout
Vorlon: Fighther.

I'll need some help with LODS and DEBRIS
If anyone who wants this new HTL ships, want to give me a hand, please tell me.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:02:39 pm by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline emi_100

Re: HTL Ships From HW2:WWE
In the case of the Shadows and Vorlon, new models are not necesary I think. The old models look good with the new normals map texture.
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

• "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, let's check them out. Maybe thy will be an improvement.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Don't think of me being too negative on this one ... I like the idea of a rapid graphical upgrade for TBP... but:

I want to make them compatible with TBP, so they can replace the old (and good looking) models, if anyone has a problem

Just the good old problem with updating models already in use:
they have to 1-to-1 compatible in terms of guns/missile points, docking paths, subsystem placement, (minimum) turret count, turret numbering, turret paths, minimum number of submodels, submodel properties (rotations etc.) model center, moment of interia, bounding box and ... some more

If they are not it will change the behavior in the ships in existing missions... most likely to a game-breaking extend

The easiest solution would be to make special table entires for them (simply adding #HTL to the ships name) ... that would keep old missions from using the new models and so preserve their current integrety
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:30:38 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline emi_100

Ok 0rph3u5.
I will convert it considering all of this "1-to-1 compatible" issue, as you said.
And if, for some reason, can't do that, we'll use the easiest solution.
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
First of all I fully agree with what 0rph3u5 said about breaking backward compatibility by doing this.   Anything from the fire points to the subsystems being slightly off could kill game balance.  I do not agree with eh #htl approach as that will eat into the ship limit. 

The best thing that can be done here is to make new models that are for TBP and exactly match the dimensions and layout of our existing models.  Not only does this guarantee backward compatibility it also prevents anyone coming along and saying hey you stole my model.  Yes we may have been given permission by the project but all it takes is one disgruntled artist to frak everything up and this project should no that better then any. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline 0rph3u5

Another quick question:
are the models UV mapped? with one map per model?

I do not agree with eh #htl approach as that will eat into the ship limit. 

You are right ... if you just add more ships the limit of the eninge to thrase in additional ships will be reached
I more or less thought of a #htl .tbm each so it could easily activated or deactivated later by a campaign dev ...

So you make one pack with all the models and textures in a single .vp and an additional folder (think: "data/tables/inactive") with the table files in it so they can easily be copied to another mod to include the ships when FREDing ...

Only the thing you would need now is a small failsafe in the mission events for people who don't have the model pack - I made one for the last Drums Of War-release (although that doesn't stop a bug message from appearing) ...  Let me look it up

EDIT: Here it is, text-editor view:
Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( is-ship-class
      "EA Aurora"
      "Lucky Bird"
   )
   ( change-ship-class
      "EA Freighter 1"
      "Lucky Bird"
   )
)
+Name: lucky bird no mod
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1
+Team: 0

As said there will be message appearing during the mission load but this safes the mission from being buggy
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline emi_100

Yes we may have been given permission by the project but all it takes is one disgruntled artist to frak everything up and this project should no that better then any.
I talk directly with the artists and the exact words were "I'd be happy for you to use anything from our mod that would be helpful".
"Perhaps we could acquire a few things from you in the future,  If that would be ok with the rest of your team of course"
It's your call there. If you want to use theirs models you have to borrow some of the TBP models. I will wait for yours decision.

Another quick question:
are the models UV mapped? with one map per model?
Some yes, with one map per model, some other not.

For example the Thunderbolt, it has only one map

DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Offline 0rph3u5

"Perhaps we could acquire a few things from you in the future,  If that would be ok with the rest of your team of course"
It's your call there. If you want to use theirs models you have to borrow some of the TBP models. I will wait for yours decision.

Oh ... I fear that's not as do-able as they might think ...

There has been an unfortunate exchange some time ago ... standing consensus is that TBP assests mustn't be given away (contradict me now if I'm wrong)

==================

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
And there in lies the big issue.  We don't have permission to give out any assets so unless we can dig up the original artist and get their permission (and we have none of that is documented anywhere) we can't let them or anyone else use any of the 3.4b assets except for TBP. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

I'm the Project lead for the HW2:WWE project. One of the conditions of modelling for our mod was the requirement that the models be freely available for use. You are free to use them provided credits are given. Our mod credits are available from our SVN repository, copied here for reference:

Zeelich
Alex "CnlPepper" Meakins
maxdamage
TheOneNamedViper
Andy Crook
Meurig
snake
PGC

Regards,
CnlPepper
Homeworld2:B5WWE Team Leader.

Offline emi_100

Thanks a lot for all CnlPepper.
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.