Author Topic: Darkness Torment  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
So, here is the sequel to my Exile Fleet story that made I up a year ago, then updated this year. This is the prologue, so enjoy! :P

The Darkness Torment

I gently made a port turn around the derelict Pyratorian transport ship the Cosmic Arrow. It has obviously taken battle damage, it is disabled and parts of its hull are breached. I discovered this when I came out of the Spatial Tunnel from my adventure on the Demented One Gravity Frigate. I detect no life forms aboard, but I do detect a beacon coming within the ship. Going around the vessel, I see the hanger bay wasn’t severely damaged in the attack. I brought my ship into the hanger bay. It jerked slightly from the docking clamps attaching to the ship. Instead of shutting down my ship, I activated the stand-by mode in case I am in a need of a hasty evacuation. Getting up from my chair, I walked out of the cockpit down to the cargo area where I retrieved a space suit and a hand held weapon that latched onto the space suit, the Heads up Display, changed to a more tactical view of my surroundings, it gave me information how far objects were and what operation can a control pad give me. Once I was satisfied with everything, I walked to the far end of the cargo bay where the hatch was to exit the ship.

Standing before the hatch that leads out of my ship, I retracted the weapon so I could use my right hand freely. I pressed the ‘release’ button on the holographic display, a computer voice said, “<: WARNING: ENTERING VACUUM CONDITIONS, INTIATING AIRLOCK PROTOCALS! :>” I heard the door to the cargo bay closing along with the blast door. “<Activating containment shielding over perishable supplies>” The computer said again, I turned to see a flicking force field over my supplies. I activated my suit’s magnetic boots as all of the air screamed past me. As it did so, my suit activated its own oxygen supplies, an indication came up on the HUD. My breathing became loud in my ears as everything became silent. Taking calming breaths, I entered the derelict vessel. Holding up my left hand, a device came up from the forearm turning on it was a flashlight. Leaving my ship’s ramp to the vessel, it closed behind me.

I scanned the hanger bay in front of me with my flashlight, the bulkheads has taken more damage than I have realized. The two levels of the hanger have collapsed onto the floor except where my ship is docked. The fuel lines were blown wide open putting a breach in the ceiling of the hanger bay which explains the vacuum conditions. All of the exits were blocked with debris. I walked over to the nearest exit, deploying the weapon on my right arm, putting it on low settings. I carefully made myself a doorway through the debris without disturbing it. On the other side, the intersection corridor split into three ways. I flashed my light down my left than to the right. Both sides were collapsed, so it is forward. Moving forward, I noticed the walls were scorched from the power conduits outbursts. A section of the ceiling has collapsed onto the floor. Grunting quietly, I crawled onto top of it and did a small leap on the other side. Landing carefully on my feet, I flashed my light into the corridor and my heart jumped three notches. I put my hand on my face, but the shield of my suit prevented that. I grew sick in my stomach. Ahead of me were dozens of floating, Pyratorian corpses. Taking a calming breath, I walked into them gently pushing them aside. I kept my head low and I concentrated on my light as I moved gently forward.

Despite, my calm breathing I felt like I was being watched from something quite hideous. I shook my head to dispel that bad thought. According to my HUD, the beacon is close about one hundred meters away.
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
Chapter 1
Torment

My skin is prickling on the back of my neck because I could feel the crew’s last moments here. I can feel it on the Life Stream. A little earlier, I mustered some courage and inspected the floating corpses and some did show some had taking fire others seemed to have deep wounds like something had slashed them. Their faces were still etched with the expression of pain and agony. I shivered violently as a deep chill went down my spine. Tears sprang to my eyes, I growled in frustration when I realized I couldn’t wipe them away because of the shield, so I let them run down my face, my eyes begin to sting. I shook my head into clarity and the tears stopped. I stumbled as my surrounding began to spin around me. I put a hand to my head in an attempt to steady myself. I cringed as a voice screamed in panic in my head, “<They are coming! Please, Lady of Life, protect us all!>” Then all my surroundings became calm. I shook my head. What in blazes was that? I said to myself. I shook my head again to fully make sure my head was clear. I continued onwards. At the end of the corridor in the shaft of my light what would’ve been a high velocity lift. I went to the lip and pointed my light down and up, only ominous darkness was my answer. The lift’s walls were really smooth with nothing to hold onto. Good thing my suit has some thrusters on the shoulders and feet. Turning off my magnetic boots, I began to float. I turned on my suit’s thrusters and I steadily made my way upwards. I started to veer when my surroundings started to spin. I stopped to let the sudden dizziness to pass. Light bathed the shaft, it was coming from above. I looked and cried in horror as flames suddenly engulfed me. Screaming in terror, I put my arms up around me as I felt the intense heat burn me. I shivered violently as the flames suddenly disappeared and my surroundings grew calm. Using my light, I looked up the shaft then down, nothing was around me or even near me. I continued my upward travel in the eerily silence of vacuum. I puffed up through the broken doors of another deck. I reapplied my magnetic boots to the floor which automatically turned off the thruster system. I shined my light into the corridor, this one has less corpses then the one a deck below me. The ceiling and floor were ‘uprooted’ with string like wires and its supports floating around gently.  Walking into the corridor, I pushed aside the debris with my right hand. Beyond it was a cloud of debris that has been crystallized by the coldness of space.

Taking a calming breath, I entered the cloud. I was immediately impaired, it so thick that my light was little use. My suit automatically activated a function that allows me to ‘know’ where a support or other metal debris is in this thick cloud. I ducked under a support that was hanging in mid-air and I had to crawl underneath more supports. Then an opening allowed me to stand up. The cloud became much thinner and was easier to see. Soon, the cloud disappeared altogether. I turned around and it was still there behind me. Shrugging to myself, I came to an intersection, standing the middle I had three routes that I could take. I shined my light down the other routes, nothing of interest was revealed. I sighed my breath fogged the shield for a moment before it faded. The deeper I go in this derelict vessel the more the Life Stream seems to get weaker as if I am walking into a void. It is an uncertain experience. Finally making up my mind, I went down the center route. I also felt like the ship was closing in around me making me feel paranoid slightly. The only thing that was breaking the silence was my steady breathing and the faint sound of my feet on the metal floor. I stumbled as a wave of dizziness swept over me. I stopped in my tracks to let it pass over. I even had a hard time standing still my surroundings were spinning so rapidly.

“<You are completely alone in a nightmare, alone without the help of your Life Stream or your Lady of Life. You have entered my Realm,>” A deep, grating voice said, seemingly everywhere at once. I shivered violently as an even colder chill went down my back. I crouched instinctively as I felt like I was about to vomit. Taking deep breaths, I calmed my nerves down. I stood up once I was feeling better to travel. Keeping my light in front of me, I continued my journey through this ship. In a short time I reached the end of the hallway which curved around, at the far end was a large blast door.
   I walked briskly to the blast doors. A small indicator beeped softly into my ears, letting me know the beacon is close. I just need to get past these blast doors. I knelt down to the wall that contained a control panel for the blast doors because there is no power I have to use the power of my suit to activate the doors. I took the wires and laid them against the surface of my suit and they instantly lit up green. The HUD of my suit became scrambled with information as it communicated. Then the door opened slowly but steadily. Once all the way open, I disconnected the wires from my suit and dove through the doors as they closed from the lack of power. Standing up, I watched them shut. A gasp suddenly came from me as I felt the Life Stream completely disappear from my senses. If there is no Life Stream I can call upon, then I will not be able to summon my suit’s weapon! I stomped the ground in frustration. I have no real way of protecting myself if need to. Well, I have my hands, feet, agility and strength.  I don’t know how well that will go in a zero-gravity environment, but it is better than nothing, I suppose.

I shined my light on the corridor to see sheets of wires have been exposed and were glowing. I deactivated my light for a moment, my eyes adjusted to the darkness and saw long ways down the corridor the wires have been exposed. My HUD adjusted its brightness to softer levels. I went over to the exposed wiring and scanned them. According to my readings, the wires were getting power from engineering somehow, but I am not detecting the radiation that should be coming from the main reactor. I removed my light from left arm and attached it to my helmet. I activated its ‘nightlight’ setting, which allows me to see in the dark, but does not shine like normal light.
   “<You will travel my realm without your precious light, behold your nightmare,>” The same deep, grating voice said. I collapsed onto my wobbly knees as the room just spun so rapidly around me. I shivered as the coldest chill that I ever felt went down my spine. I suddenly broke out in a cold sweat making me shiver more.  The glowing wires made trails in my rapidly spinning vision. I tried to stand, but I simply could not. Taking deep breaths, I managed to slow my dizziness enough so I can stand. My eyes finally managed to adjust to the dimly lit environment. I took a careful step forward, then another, to test if I would fall. My legs still feel wobbly. I inched my way to the wall and used it as my guide forward. I followed it around a corner. I stopped in my tracks a dark shadow moved several yards front of me. I gritted my teeth when a sharp pain stabbed my through my skull. I startled when I saw the dark shadow was walking toward me and it was a short distance away. As it got closer the pain got worse and my world started to spin again. I yelped in fright as I managed to duck underneath a swipe. I grunted metallically in my helmet as a strong force threw me onto my back. Recovering quickly, I slid backwards trying to get away from it. I felt a vice like grip lift me up off the floor. My skull felt like it was going to split open anytime now. I struggled helplessly trying to get this dark creature off of me.

“<Watch and feel your people suffer under me,>” The deep, grating voice said.  I screamed metallically as flashes of many Pyratorians being killed then assimilated into vile beings. Then I saw memories of the attack on our worlds, on our transports. I felt billions of Pyratorians suffering and dying all over again. “<Your people are now ripe for the taking, lost and confused, I shall consume your Elders, then your people will be my slaves. I am the Dark Tormentor, little Guard. I am the leader of the Demented Ones, you just encountered my slaves and you shall encounter them, again,>” The Dark Tormentor said his voice was like a white-hot blade that has been impaled through my skull. “<Your torment shall begin, now,>” He added. I sighed in pain as I felt my head connect with the wall the sound of the helmet shattering was distant to my ears as I felt my oxygen rushing out and the coldness of the vacuum inching along my skin. The dark void took me into its arms.

I woke with a groan, it felt my entire was on fire, every muscle, joint and nerve cluster. My vision was very blurry. In a strange orange light, I thought I could see something above me, a strange figure with . . . faintly gray skin with a strange pink pigment. Slowly, my hearing came back although it sounded like I was underneath water, then my vision very slowly cleared. A gasp escaped my lips as everything became clearer. I rolled away from the figure onto my hands and knees as I coughed up blood onto the grated floor. Finally stopping, I sat on my knees. I wasn’t wearing my suit, but I wore the clothes that I had underneath. I looked at the figure and my heart skipped two beats! I couldn’t believe it! I didn’t know if I was having a vision or a dying dream, but there, sitting in front of me in the same position was Aylora S’Iynara, in translation, that means the ‘Lady of Life’. I stared at her not knowing what to do. I surprised her with an embrace. Hot, stinging tears went down my face as I felt warm arms hold me. I separated from her.
   She looked changed from the last time I saw her, which was through a vision. She looked older and more mature, but her eyes looked deeply worn and tired, but I could see small fires of wrath in them. Her skin tone reflected that she was sick. I noticed she had her left arm in a roughly tied cast made up torn wires. Her clothes were really torn and bloodied. Her right arm, near the elbow, had a stack of more torn wires wrapped into a knot. “<Please, help me stand,>” She said her voice sounded worn and tired. I helped her to stand up putting her good arm around my shoulders.

“<This is engineering, isn’t it?>” I said, looking around. “<Yes, but doing anything from is useless, I have already tried,>” Aylora S’Iynara replied sounding distant. I adjusted her weight to be more comfortable. We both walked down a small flight of stairs to a standing Lifter. I stuck my hand in a small bowl that was there, the liquid was like gel, but only gritty. The Lifter activated and we descended to the main floor. Touching down, I removed my hand from the device and the Lifter’s gate allowed us to pass. “<Kyral, I want you to know something . . . >” Aylora stopped in mid-sentence making look at her alarmed as she gained her breath, “<I’m fighting a disease that the Dark Tormentor gave me, I might not live to see the comforts of a suitable planet.>”

“<We’re both leaving, I’m sure of that,>” I assured her, even though I didn’t feel much assured by it. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Aylora struggle trying to stay conscious, for her breathing was becoming more and more labored. “<This atmosphere is too thin, I need to rest,>” She huffed. I guided her to a console that has a chair sitting in front of it. I did feel a little worn from that even though we didn’t go far. I inserted my hand into the same device that was for the Lifter, but it was for bringing up power diagnostics on the main Spatial Tunnel Assembly. According to this read out the Assembly was getting repairs done, probably by the Dark Tormentor’s minions. I removed my hand and went to the console next to her and inserted my hand into that. This console showed the areas of the Spatial Tunnel Assembly that was getting worked on. I couldn’t do anything from this console. I removed my hand from the console and stood up.

I went to a large set of consoles that monitored the reactors and environmental integrity. I inserted my hand into the main console that overlooked that the main reactor. A holographic screen came up, a Pyratorian Warning Symbol started flashing across its screen warning of the thin atmosphere and the sudden rise in temperature in the core of the reactor. An idea came to me, if I could just find a console on the main Spatial Tunnel Assembly. In dire emergencies, its main drive can be dropped into space away from the ship. Doing so, would prevent them into the Spatial Tunnel, essentially marooning them here. Or somehow, ‘regain’ it in my favor putting the controls under my fingertips.

“<I can read your thoughts, little Guard and your plans have already failed, for I am in complete control of this ship. There is no escape,>” The Dark Tormentor said, his voice was everywhere. I sat down heavily in a chair by a console to let the sudden dizziness subside. I started to wheeze from the too thin atmosphere, I need more air, at least! I looked over at Aylora and caught her eye. We both looked at each other wondering how to get off this miserable ship. I turned my gaze onto the console that I was sitting at. I inserted my hand into the device and a holographic display came up. It was warning that the atmosphere was too thin and that the wrong atmospheric compounds were in the air as well. I noticed the air was being stretched across parts of the ship that were needed. I removed my hand from the device and looked around the eerily lit engineering. I wonder where the atmosphere regulators are, probably high above us. I’m not in the best shape to go climbing, unless they are beneath us. I need to do something fast before we both become slaves to this Dark Tormentor.
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
So, here is the last part of this short story. I ran into many writer's blocks, I'll try to explain it, perhaps, fully in the next story. So, comments/questions? I'll do my best to answer them.  :cool:

Chapter 2
Escaping the Impossible

I woke up slowly and painfully, after a moment of confusion I realized I was still in engineering. I rubbed my eyes with my hands and stood up. Something caught my eye I looked to see Aylora limping toward me with something in her arms. I helped her to a chair by a console next to me. With a sigh, she put the items on the console surface. She handed me two items that looked to be some sort of tank with a hose connected it at the end was an opening by the sides of the opening were two loosely tied wires. “<I rigged it while you slept. I don’t know how much it will help us, but better than nothing,>” Aylora explained putting the device over her mouth and then tying the wires into a knot. I followed her lead I put the tank on my back with the help of the wires. I activated it by turning the handle it hissed loudly. I took a deep breath and exhaled through my nose. Even though it was strange breathing habit, Aylora assured me there was enough oxygen for several hours. It was time to explore the parts of the ship that had an atmosphere.

We went to the entrance of engineering, I waved my hand over the circuit and the door opened. I yelped in surprise as a cyborg abomination walked through it. I swiped at me with a heavy arm. I ducked underneath it easily. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Aylora limping toward cover. So far, the cyborg abomination is focused on me. I jumped away from it as it tried to swipe me again. I quickly spotted that it had a Pyratorian blade wedged in its thigh. I spun around it as it tried to swipe me again with its other arm that was clawed as I spun around I removed the blade from its thigh. Before it could react I sliced into its spinal cord. The cyborg shuddered violently for a moment then went still. I have paralyzed it. I then sunk my blade into the back of its skull, its head jerked backwards as I removed it. The cyborg collapsed onto its knees, then fell forward onto its face. I did a small victory flourish with the blade which was an old taunt to my enemies. I reached out with my free hand to Aylora, “<Shall we leave, my Lady?>” I asked with a small grin, although the device covered it. She took my hand. I helped her balance her weight on me as we left the engineering bay. The corridor was dimly lit from the exposed wires that were no longer glowing blue-green, but a blazing orange. From my quick look at the map on the console earlier this corridor should go into a lift that will take us to the hanger bay where my ship is awaiting.

We both hurried down the corridor our metallic breathing broke the silence, the lift doors opened walking inside, I waved my hand over the circuit to take us to the hanger bay. The doors slid shut and it silently and effortlessly moved downwards. “<Leaving? Not so quickly,>” Dark Tormentor boomed all around us. I held onto the wall of the lift as it jerked to a halt. The lift doors opened to a darkened corridor, I was relieved that we haven’t entered the vacuum sections yet, but we have entered zero gravity. We both hopped out of the lift and into the corridor. We continued this movement down the corridor at a steady-quick pace. We dived forward as the ceiling started to collapse on us. I urged Aylora forward as it collapsed right on top of us. I threw her ahead of me as the floor suddenly dented upwards just as the ceiling collapsed. I managed to squeeze by, but barely. I grunted in pain as gravity suddenly came back. I scrambled to my feet and helped Aylora to hers’, I practically carried-dragged her down the corridor. I stopped abruptly when the doorway to another corridor was crushed into a knot of twisted metal. I closed my eyes and held Aylora closer as I felt and heard the ground go upwards toward the ceiling. At least I would die with our most sacred leader of our time. Instantly, I was in the arms of darkness.

I woke up with a wild cry of immense pain. I gasped for air it was wonderful to feel it fill my lungs again. I looked around my surroundings to see that I was in the cargo bay of my ship. I looked about wildly for Aylora. I heaved a sigh of relief to see her lying next to me. Every part of me felt like it was on fire. I startled to hear Aylora woke up coughing and gasping for air. Her entire body began to tremble violently.  Sitting up painfully, I rolled her onto her back and her eyes were rolled in their sockets and bloody foam bubbled out of her mouth. I put my hands on her and concentrated. Finding the Life Stream, I used it to heal Aylora. I watched as the blue-green energy surrounding her covering her in a sheet of blue-energy for a moment before disappearing through her skin and into the floor taking her illness with it. She coughed and gasped for air, taking deep breaths until she calmed down to slow, but steady breaths. “<You seem to be quite the Pyratorian, Kyral, death seems not able to hold you in its grasp. I shall say, thank you for getting me off that ship,>” Aylora said sitting up. She looked about, “<Where are we in fact?>” She asked painfully getting to her feet. Her leg seemed to be healed from the way she is standing tall rather than hunched. I smiled at her faintly, “<Welcome aboard the Secret Exile, a ship that I ‘borrowed’,>” I replied, Aylora gave me a looked from the way I said, ‘borrowed’. I listened for a moment and found my ship was indeed in space because I could hear the drive Spatial Drive humming.
   “<So, how did we escape from the Dark Tormentor, exactly?>” Aylora asked, I shook my head. “<I woke up aboard and healed you fairly quickly, so I have no idea,>” I replied, my ears perked up from the sound of metal hitting metal like footsteps. We both turned to the sound of the footsteps coming closer and closer. That’s all I need is a cyborg slave to have stowed away, but it wasn’t a slave, but a male Pyratorian with strangely familiar family markings that covered his head. Then it came to me like a blast from the dark.   “<Rylroa E’Isynak, but how?!>” I exclaimed as I saw the same look of surprise on Aylora’s face. Rylroa E’Isynak took a deep breath and letting it out nosily, a pained expression came on this face, an expression that I knew he felt the deaths of billions of Pyratorians through the Life Stream.

“<I faked my death to escape the notice of the Dark Tormentor, but I was prepared for that anyways. I stayed with the Great Elders themselves to find myself again, atonement for the actions I did during my leadership. When I found myself they said I could leave, so I did, taking a ship they built themselves. I found a convoy that was escaping our home galaxy and stayed there until the Dark Tormentor took over. I stayed out of sight and out of mind of the Dark Tormentor masking my Life Signature, very carefully. I couldn’t believe when he pulled Aylora S’Iynara out of the Life Stream and into the physical world. Then Kyral came aboard, probably searching for the automated distress beacon, which was just a ruse. I saved you both before you were crushed by heaps of metal. I brought you here to your ship, the Secret Exile, but I was helped by the Center Consciousness. The two fleets have emerged at the coordinates which your ship and mine are going to, in fact both transport fleets have arrived there as well,>” Rylroa E’Isynak explained walking toward Aylora. He was wearing regular civilian clothing which was a long cloth open on the sides with a wide breechcloth hanging from his waist.
   Aylora and Rylroa put their heads together meaning trust and respect for a moment before separating. He bowed his head, as he walked away from her. “<See you on the other side,>” He said and suddenly phased out of existence. A hologram avatar it wasn’t uncommon for communications, but I didn’t see it coming, I actually thought he was on my ship.

“<So, it was the fallen Pyratorian that saved you, along with the help of my brothers Center Consciousness and you destroyed my project, no matter. There shall be others. I am coming for you, little Guard and I will enjoy watching you burn, and there is no sanctuary in this Universe for you to hide to. Not even my brothers could save you, they would only delay me. I am coming from the Dark Void and I shall I come in numbers,>” Dark Tormentor boomed his voice was seemingly everywhere. We shall see. I said in my head. I led Aylora to my quarters first to get cleaned up and put on a fresh pair of clothes, after that we headed to the cockpit of my ship. I took my chair by the controls and she took the co-pilots chair with a small grin. I brought up the Spatial Tunnel destination timer and it read that we were mere moments away from our destination. I took the throttle controls as the Spatial Tunnel opened up to a blue planet orbiting was one large moon and a fleet of ship. Exiting the Spatial Tunnel, I took the controls and headed for the fleet of ships.

My communications whined as a transmission came through from Rylroa, “<Welcome to Earth, our new home.>” I couldn’t believe my eyes. It had some decently sized continents with a lot of blue oceans and white clouds. I detected technology, but it seems to be a pre-warp, industrialized civilization with pollutants in the atmosphere and ocean. As well as seven billion inhabitants, our stay maybe cramped, but it will be better than living in space for the rest of our lives. Just perhaps, they’ll welcome us with open arms, a hope that we all would like to become reality for us, the lost and the homeless, Secret Guard.