Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 92437 times)

Has anybody taken a few hours and just tried to supercruise into the nebula?

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Has anybody taken a few hours and just tried to supercruise into the nebula?
It doesn't work that way. Systems are instanced so you can't actually supercruise between systems.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Although if you're asking if anyone has tried to supercruise from one system to another, the answer is yes (you can actually reach the hyperspace waypoint, but you're still "in" the other system, so there's nothing there).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Reminds me of a story (not sure if true) I once heard about someone warping between systems.
While it's not instanced, systems are on separate nodes, so you aren't registered as being in another system until you jump into it all the same.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

I've heard that there are large areas of space outside the bubble hat are permit-locked, so that's probably what DahBlount has run into.

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

Just got the A8 Thrusters for my Cutter.  They cost as much as a brand new Anaconda.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

You better watch out you filthy imperial!
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

can i take this opportunity to advertise my services as a mercenary
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Turambar

can i take this opportunity to advertise my services as a mercenary

Protect me from Hades!

My rebuy is 22 mil and i only have 11 mil!!!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

the fee for my assistance will be ten million

Offline Turambar

Well, instead, I just bought a Courier, so now my rebuy is 1 mil, and i can dick around and have fun until i have operating expenses for the cutter again (or i'll hop back in when i see some good trade routes open up)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

nice python you have there

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Pfft, you and your silly big ships.

Happily puttering around in my Viper Mk4, it's a lot better than I thought it would be. Still need to try the other new (small) ships too!

Some really fantastic terrain on some of these planets. e.g.

And yeah, I jumped down in an SRV. Landed with 2% hull left. :)

Offline rance

For me, the most fun I get out of the SRVs is taking pictures and mountain climbing:

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Did a 5k Ly run heading towards the Bubble again.

I'm not that far away...

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Had some CQC matches last night that turned my into a nervous wreck.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Impressive :D
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline est1895

So, I can see some of you have been playing Elite: Dangerous and saw this video using a THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG.

My first question is, if your gonna play this game, would you suggest this controller?

Second, is there a better controller in your opinion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1qYNEZMCo

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
There's a reason the Warthog costs over 450 USD, it's ****ing great. It's basically a consumer replica of the A-10 Warthog's flight stick and throttle with a few extra buttons on the base. I'd highly recommend it if you have the dosh to throw at it, but if not, the Thrustmaster T.Flight X HOTAS works very well.

In other news, I got back to the bubble today, earned 18 million credits and bought this bad boy:

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure