Author Topic: SOON TO BE RELEASED: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17  (Read 50811 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Re: SOON TO RELEASE: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17
A million thanks to the people of HLP for posting this thread in their newsletter. I am overwhelmed.  :)

Offline Axem

Any substantial progress gets a mention in the newsletter. Hard work deserves a spotlight. :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Get used to it :). Newshounds are always hunting for good stuff to show. As long as you post cool, eyecatching updates you can count on Axem and others to mention that. Along with highlights, it's a cool way to promote your work. Newsletters are one of the best things here.

Yeah, good stuff... That's why mine is present in almost every one :P.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks...The mod assets are done. But most of my models are still the old ones (I'm worried about that) except for some fighters and bombers and some destroyers including the Royal Sathanas. I may be able to update the Raynor and Titan models with a newer release (not Erebus) if I can have them and I may have to edit their textures for consistency reasons. Although I'm still learning, researching, and experimenting the arcane art of making normal maps and shine maps. Right now, I am concentrating in fixing the ten missions of Act 3 and "honing" my skill in "normal" and "shine" mapping. If only I have skills in model making, I have some ideas in head that I can only draw on paper.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:46:16 am by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I tried the Erebus and the new Titan and ran one of the missions, "The Battle of the Bulge" where there is at least 1 Lucifer, 4 Ravanas, a dozen Molochs head to head with the Excelsior (Erebus), the Titan (new model), and the Hercules destroyers plus hundreds of fighters from both sides. The result, I got an FPS of 22 and a minute later, the game crashed. I ran out of memory. My PC is not strong enough. It's too bad because I love new Raynor's and Titans.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
my opinion. Never do a "soon to release" thread - you do not have any marketing thing to fuel, and it only tends to create pressure.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
OK. What is this "marketing" thing that I should fuel?  By the way, I took down the "soon to release" line in the post as this project will take long as expected. The Excelsior (Raynor), the Chimera and Bellerophon corvettes are replaced with the new versions which means the other corvettes in the 7th BG will pale in appearance because they are old models. I may have to update or replace them as well. I still can't get the new Titan. More researching is needed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:55:53 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

Re: WIP: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17
I could be wrong but I'm guessing he means something like 'don't post something is 'soon to release' unless it is actually fairly close to completion'.

Good luck on all this model work you're doing; I'm really looking forward to the reboot. :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Ah. I thought so. He's right, you know. Well, it was close to completion until I decided to update to my outdated models (not all of them, just 7th BG). As of present, I found good models for the other two corvettes and currently editing their texture maps and their normal and shine maps. It will take me at least 3 days. I will post screen shots when I finish. Hey, CT. Do you know a link where I can get the NuTitan? I searched and I can't find it. The Titan is the only one left to complete the 7th BG.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I don't think it got a separate release like the Erebus, but you can just extract it from Blue Planet Complete.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

Herkie, I looked and unfortunately I couldn't find a download link for the newest Titan.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Yeah. Its like the good admiral said, it doesn't have a separate release. So, time to download the BPC. This will be awesome, inspite of my super slow internet. 

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
PROJECT UPDATE

Well I have updated the Raynor and the two corvettes with the new models, Erebus and the new Bellerophon and Chimera. For story consistency, I have modified their looks (diffuse, normal and shine maps) without degrading their appearance. The other corvettes in the 7th BG are also replaced and with new looks (I have some screen shots below). With some adjustments of my GPU drivers and shared RAM allocation, my computer is able to withstand the brunt of having multiple high poly models in-game. I made a test mission involving 5 Sathanas, 5 Erebus, 5 other destroyers and 200 fighters. I have an FPS of 45, that's probably OK. Anyway, I will no longer be using the "Time elapsed" SEXP as it would create an "event anomaly" if the PC is having frame rate issue. I have also made several tech entries of the which one is a sample below:

"The Proteuz Mandate

The fall of Capella was the pinnacle moment that effectively ended the Second Shivan War --- as most would want to believe. But those who had witnessed the battle only knew of one bitter truth that the obliteration of that system was not a victory. After the half-hearted celebrations and revelry, the GTVA leaders went back to work in the rebuilding and feverishly researching new technologies to build superior ships and new weapons prevailing upon a haunting notion that our nemesis is just looming over the event horizon of an uncharted jump node like a brooding viper, ever stalking like an unseen predator getting ready for another strike.

The effort to counter another intrusion of the Shivans, however, did not come as smooth as expected. Not all members in the GTVA High Council were unified in their credence of the possibility of a third incursion. The majority of the Terran high councilmen were in denial, totally convinced that such an offensive would most unlikely to occur since the only connection to their domain was severed. The Vasudan leaders regarded them as severely delusional, deliberately diverted their thoughts of this foreboding threat to the other less favorable venture; the study of the research data gathered from the Knossos gate that we destroyed in Gamma Draconis. The animated exchanges and debates in the council chamber did not dissuade the unyielding views of their associates save for a few who wholly agree in upgrading the GTVA Armada. And so the Terran-Vasudan government were split in their undertaking. The Vasudan emperor, Khonsu II, was perturbed of the apparent discord in the High Council and he was deeply concerned of the impact on the society as a whole.

The Vasudan side of the High Council and a handful Terran supportive members voted on a resolution to create the “Proteuz Mandate.” A policy with the sole purpose of improving the military in anticipation of a Shivan attack. A special committee was formed and charged with the duties of recruiting the best scientists and engineers and to oversee the entire activities related to this endeavor. The brightest minds were immediately assembled and assigned to research centers. These facilities were built in secret and in remote locations, closely guarded and isolated for obvious security reasons. The products of this new policy were promising. New classes of destroyers and corvettes were completed and deployed in just two years but none of them compared to the prodigious ships of the GTVA prototypes.

The GTVA Prototypes

After several months of rigorous experiments, designing and data gathering, the researchers, in a classified space station, drafted their first blueprints of what is to be warships of "unconventional engineering." They sent the designs right away to a number of highly secured, state-of-the-art shipyards in Adhara and Beta Aquilae. And even though the star systems were still struggling to recover from the ashes that was left after a ravaging war, despite the economic devastation, the GTVA High Council pushed through with this military research and allocated an enormous budget for it. Two years later, a collection of prototype vessels were constructed and launched. These new destroyers, corvettes, and cruisers were powerful ships using an experimental "ablative hull" technology, a heavy armor that can withstand the tremendous pressure of multiple beam bombardment and torpedo impact. With an array of new gravimetric beam cannons and defensive turrets, one prototype destroyer was able to engage and destroy an entire pirate fleet together with a full squadron of heavy assault fighters and bombers in a single engagement. However, the mass-production of these new warships was to be put on hold for another five years to give enough time to field test these ships even further. To complement the destructive potential of this fleet mighty ships, more than four hundred units of newly designed assault fighters were also built. The product of the "blood, sweat and tears" of the people behind the development of these behemoths are the proud, white ships of the 7th battlegroup."

Pictures of the updated ships (some of these are not actual in-game screenshots):

The Royal Sathanas with the GTCv Capella and the GTCv Olympus:

The Battle-scarred GTD Excelsior:

The GTD Hercules (and yes, it's the Solaris of BP2...In my world, it's the Hercules) ;7

The GTD Galileo:

The New Cruisers and the GTCv Copernicus.

Finally, I got the secret of making "normal" and "shine" maps...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:48:37 pm by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

The Royal Sathanas has a nice new look.  Before it was kind of greenish-red, now I like the purple look.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
What can I say... Backgrounds looks cool and your Erebus texture job is cool as well :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
This is looking a LOT better. Hope the gameplay lives up to this impression.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Those screenshots are looking fantastic!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks everyone for the comments. I gave my dedication at this because these  models are made by good people and I don't want to let them down. And good looks must be justified by good gameplay so I'm doing my best to iron out the bugs in the missions, paying close attention to detail.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:24:00 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

A minor question Herkie:

In the picture under "The new cruisers", that looks like one of the frigates that was in Blue Planet.  It's up to you but if you're going to use that in the new The Aftermath, shouldn't it be called a frigate since it's a lot bigger than a cruiser?

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
My mistake. The one in the left and on the right are the cruisers. The one in the center firing the beams is actually the GTCv Copernicus, a heavy frigate stated in its tech entry. It is also one of the replacement. Post edited. Thanks, CT.

EDIT: After some discussion, the Copernicus will be designated as a corvette regardless of it's size (it's just a little bit bigger than a corvette).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:59:55 pm by herkie423 »