Author Topic: Edited Ship model blacks out the game when edited into a mission.  (Read 3128 times)

Offline emark4

Edited Ship model blacks out the game when edited into a mission.
I have edited a ship from Blue Planet and used FRED to edit two War In Heaven missions to be used in both levels. However midway for each mission the screen blacks out (except for the HUD). Sometimes the sound is also off & sometimes the sound is still playing.

The model in question is my edited version of the UEF Izralie/Banshee. I replaced the original cockpit with the Uhlan's. However its a dirty edit and I am in the process of a doing a new one. Clearly the model I attempted to use breaks the game so I did something wrong on blender (As usual  :banghead: ). What should I do to make sure I don't repeat the same mistake the second time for my new version? I attached the .blend file to this post if someone wants to see it.

Edit: Posted .dae version of the model. I would have done a .pof file but even compressing it to a zip file dosent work as its still too big a file size for the forums. So I did the .dae if anyone wants to look it up in PSC2. (Note that if you convert to .pof and plug it in the game, it will blackout  if you use that model.)

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:44:07 pm by emark4 »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Edited Ship model blacks out the game when edited into a mission.
I take it you've read through the nodding portal and tutorial posts in the nodding subforum?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I already told you what you have to do, to make this thing working. And please, provide .pof or whatever that is readable for majority.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Lol it's the rendering engine bug of doom

Offline emark4

Lol it's the rendering engine bug of doom

Uhhh.. not really sure what you mean by that, but the model above posted is buggy. Either way, I'm totally trashing this model.

Offline emark4

I already told you what you have to do, to make this thing working. And please, provide .pof or whatever that is readable for majority.

You mean the geometry issues from deleting parts of the original models? I'm actually gonna start the ship editing from scratch. This time I'm not deleting any part of the ship at all.

Though I'm having trouble uploadting a .pof file for some reason.

Edit: Oh wait, Im over the file size limit, even as a zip file. Oh well, the .pof will crash the game anyway if typed into one's blue planet ship table...
Edi 2: Posted .dae file instead.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:44:41 pm by emark4 »

Offline emark4

I take it you've read through the nodding portal and tutorial posts in the nodding subforum?

Working on that.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If something is too big to post as a forum attachment, use Dropbox or any other file hosting service.

Also, and this is really important, if you encounter any problems in FSO, always post an fs2_open.log.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline emark4

There is one more thing I want to ask. When exporting a pof to dae for blender use do you recommend the "exporting helpers" and "export properties as helpers" options checked?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
My PCS2 has no option like that, but it's likely to be enabled by default. I guess I'm using older build.

This thing refers to pof data. If you want to export all thrusters, pathes, turrets etc to Blender, keep this enabled so you can reimport it when you convert it back. I personally prefer to use bare model without pof data, and use Global Import option of PCS2 instead.

Edit: I found them and I actually have those too. It does not change the matter anyway.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline emark4

My PCS2 has no option like that, but it's likely to be enabled by default. I guess I'm using older build.

This thing refers to pof data. If you want to export all thrusters, pathes, turrets etc to Blender, keep this enabled so you can reimport it when you convert it back. I personally prefer to use bare model without pof data, and use Global Import option of PCS2 instead.

Edit: I found them and I actually have those too. It does not change the matter anyway.

Before I starting redoing my ship, I actually unchecked the export  helpers option. I believe it was suggested in the hard-light wikia but when I imported the model back from blend file to dae, i found that none of the functions (weapon points, docking points, thrusters, etc were there.) Using the model crashes the game when starting a mission with the ship since i think those functions were missing. So i checked both in psc2 from now on.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If you kept the mass and moi from original pof, it's sometimes buggy when you export it back. Delete the mass, as Blender will recalculate it automatically. As for Moment of Inertia, you can recalculate it in PCS2. I encountered crashes caused by this values.

Offline emark4

If you kept the mass and moi from original pof, it's sometimes buggy when you export it back. Delete the mass, as Blender will recalculate it automatically. As for Moment of Inertia, you can recalculate it in PCS2. I encountered crashes caused by this values.

Hmmm. That may not be it. I tried out the new edited model but the game still crashes. I didnt delete any part of the Izrali ship this time so i figured there shouldnt be a problem.

The debug log attached below says something about the subsystems not being linked this time. I thought they were showing up on PCS2 unless I missed something.

Do you mind if you look at my model again too? I'm really stuck now with no clue what to do.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:40:16 pm by emark4 »

Offline emark4

If something is too big to post as a forum attachment, use Dropbox or any other file hosting service.

Also, and this is really important, if you encounter any problems in FSO, always post an fs2_open.log.

Just snaged a new problem; my edited model crashes the game, somethign with the subsystems of the ship. I posted the debug log this time

Offline emark4

Found the problem and fixed it. Yeah, i see  why you used the global import options a couple of posts before. I global imported from the UEF izari Pof file to the new edited model and its working now, with no crashes & blackouts this time.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Blender is sometimes doing strange things to pof data. As you just got started with modelling, conversion and stuff, you better stay with global import so far. And also the lesser mess you have on your hierarchy graph, the better for you.