Author Topic: RELEASE: Fortune Hunters - 2259 (TBP)  (Read 22910 times)

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Re: RELEASE: Fortune Hunters - 2259 (TBP)
This campaign was awesom looking forward to a sequel.

10 out of 10

/Dice
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Currently, I am working on doing the final tweaks to 2259 (thanks to Fubar) and a totally different campaign. Parallel to that, of course there is progress on 2260. Let's see what the newest TBP update brings along, maybe I will have to balance things again.

Progress Update on FH2260: 7 of 13 missions fredded and tested.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Vidmaster

okay, final update done and downloadable.

Please delete any old version before using this one.

additions and bugfixes (spoiler-free):
- M2: correct positions of the suns / Removed glitch / Rebalancing
- M3: Removed glitch
- M4: Rebalancing
- M5: Removed glitch / fixed incorrect shipname
- M6: Removed glitch
- M8: complete overhaul (special thanks to FURBAR)
- all missions: jumppoint size updated to look correctly with IP's recent changes

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline noodle

I think I found a bug. At least I hope it's just a bug. Mission 3 is unbeatable. "Get out of the way of the asteroid!"

Which I do, and then the rock spends the rest of the mission circling the Narn ship...in fact, it actually does hit something. It hits the Nova. GG. Of course the Narn ship always, always, hypers out when it gets to about 35% HP, so I can't destroy it with normal weapons, and then the mission doesn't end or fail or anything, it just keeps running. And nothing happens. I've played through it like 8 times now, same thing every time. What the hell?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Confirmed it is a bug. 

Already tracked it down and sent the fix off to Vid. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:22:05 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

I changed the whole kamikaze sexp in the newest version when I discovered that the rock sometimes did not make any damage. Now it crashes and does no damage and at the same time the hull gets sabotaged. Looks exactly the same but works.

Apparently, 0 damage however makes the mission buggy. Fixed now, plz redownload FH2260.

Offline noodle

Ah good, still, I managed to beat it by ignoring the smaller capital ship until after the big one hypered away, destroying it then seemed to get the victory trigger to work.

Offline Vidmaster

yeah but it looks so silly  ;)

Offline noodle

Finally made it to mission 5, but I can't beat it. Seriously, the Drazi are overpowered, I'm playing on very easy and still can't do it, the fighters chew up my ships in about 2 seconds, missile locks keep happening no matter how I maneuver, and the 3rd sunhawk is always way out of my range, and kills the Cash long before I can get to it.

Also, starting in mission 4 the game descends into typo hell, not so bad that I can't understand whats going on, but still pretty horrible.

Offline maje

You have to go into Fred and adjust game balance settings.  Essentially, the Kobiyashi Maru 'fix'.
In fact, there are at least two missions I've had to do that in 2260.  I think I played through the 2259 Drazi mission that you're on, and can't remember what happened other than that I beat it and never got a mission complete on it.  Seeing how it was long mission, I didn't feel like replaying it.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Every mission in 2259 and 2260 can be beat the way they are on normal difficulty.  I even beat most of them on hard.  Read the briefing and listen to the communications. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline maje

read the briefing and paid attention to the communications.  Still doesn't actually help. (though my contentions have more to do with two missions in 2260 than 2259) as your wingmen can't do squat and your reinforcements are really useless.  Venoms only work with enemy fighters as they arrive in formation and a Star Fury is only so fast.  Can't keep jumping to the back and front of the fleet every time a new group arrives, and as I said, wingmen are highly ineffective unless using them to gang up on one target.

As a general rule of thumb, if the mission doesn't get beat in the first 15 tries, employ the Kobiyashi Maru, declare victory, and move on.

If people are having difficulty on easy, than I think there are some balance issues.  Especially when the difficulty is inconsistent.  (for example, Mission 11 in 2260 is ridiculously difficult, but Mission 12 took 2 tries (not sure why 2 and not 1, but 2 nontheless).  Also, the "Drazi mission" in 2260, seems to offer the possibility of either accomplishing 1 primary objective or the other, but not both.

Asides from those points, I feel that overall, the campaigns have done a good job story-wise and fun-wise.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Marduk

I've got to agree with FUBAR here, none of these missions are that hard by TBP standards. The drazi mission in 2259 was pretty easy with the right loadout (viper2's),  and a badger does wonders for the one in 2260.

Great campaigns, if I haven't said so previously.

Offline CKid

I am have trouble in mission 3 as well. I redownloaded FH 2260 but the mission still does not end. help plz?
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Did you get rid of the old 2259 vp?  Also if you extracted any 2259 or 2260 files to your data\missions directory remove those as well.

Offline CKid

Old vp was already removed and there are no missions in the directory.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Vidmaster

try restarting but actually it should work.
Took a look at the vp. again and all is fine.

Redownload nevertheless, since I fixed a few glitches in 2260 some minutes ago.

Offline Devean

Is there any way to continue to mission 3 without completing mission 2? I tried just waiting for the Brakiri cruiser to jump to get a fail, because the Narn cruiser and fighters decimate me, all wings, and Cash in 30-50 seconds on Very Easy. But I am constantly put to briefing for mission 2 :(.

I played through all other campaigns, and only on two occasions I had to use the invincibility cheat. But this campaign is so totally hard :(. Mission 2 is impossible to beat on Very Easy even with invincibility (Cash gets destroyed).

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Is there any way to continue to mission 3 without completing mission 2? I tried just waiting for the Brakiri cruiser to jump to get a fail, because the Narn cruiser and fighters decimate me, all wings, and Cash in 30-50 seconds on Very Easy. But I am constantly put to briefing for mission 2 :(.

I played through all other campaigns, and only on two occasions I had to use the invincibility cheat. But this campaign is so totally hard :(. Mission 2 is impossible to beat on Very Easy even with invincibility (Cash gets destroyed).

Fail the mission 5 times in a row.
You should be getting the "Skip this mission" option.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You know that if you really want to cheat you can make ships invincible by going "` + shift + i" when you have them targeted right?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================