Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918196 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Second link's issue must be from the song it uses, here's one with an alternate track.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a fan of Within Temptation, but I vastly prefer this track. :yes:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline crizza

Since Aesaar is reimagining the TEV fleet, is it to be expected he'll reimagine the Titan too?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
He said it would be the last ship since it's the most "different" from the pack. As far as I remember.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
It's being worked on:

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Kolgena

hng.

Offline crizza

Sweet mother of mercy...four beams?!
Stunning :shaking:

Second link's issue must be from the song it uses, here's one with an alternate track.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a fan of Within Temptation, but I vastly prefer this track. :yes:

At first, I thought that the first song was better - the mood fit, and the "highs and lows" (don't know much music lingo) seemed to fit the camera transitions.

But, on second thought, there is just something that I can't put my finger on about that second track that makes it better.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
WHY
WHAT IS HAPPEN I COULD NOTZEE
IS BORKED LING.
GGGGGUUUUUKKKKKKHHHHHHH!!!

Wish I had more time to involve with all this. Really have not been keeping up. :) Would have loved to create an asset for the team just to say I made something for BP instead of just playing BP but that's not going to happen anytime soon with my schedual, I think this is almost turning into an annual visit of mine. :lol: 

Similar. Life keeps me busy, modding time goes to Skyrim mostly. Still can't stop thinking of what I'd like to make and play in FS2.

Looking forward to Act 4 though for certain!
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
:yes: :yes: :yes:
It fits a lot better. What is it?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
:yes: :yes: :yes:
It fits a lot better. What is it?
After consulting my IRC logs, I'd say it's Will o' the Wisp by Jillian Aversa (with Christopher Tin).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Luis Dias

It's being worked on:

ahah gone 404. Guess someone didn' like the advertisement! Too bad I only peeked in my phone that doesn't support p3d...

Offline crizza

Just read about weaponry in the wiki...
the Winter King is said to consume the full power of a meson reactor.
But what are the power requirements of other beam weapons or are these reactors only used on Titan- and Raynor/Erebus-classes?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Other beams, including the Ice Queen beams on the Titan, can be powered by the main reactor of the ship. The Winter King beam is a bit of a special case here. While it would be possible to build a ship with a main reactor capable of powering a WK beam, the additional weapon systems on the Erebus require so much power that the simplest solution was to make the WK beam independent of the main power supply. This allowed the design team to fit the same main reactor assembly as is found on the Titan class, reducing per-unit costs considerably. In addition, it is believed that future upgrades to the class' main armament will be made considerably easier, since they would not require as extensive refits to the main reactor as the ones necessary to upgrade the old Orion class to carry beam weapons.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

None of the Links ist working :(

Offline crizza

Other beams, including the Ice Queen beams on the Titan, can be powered by the main reactor of the ship. The Winter King beam is a bit of a special case here. While it would be possible to build a ship with a main reactor capable of powering a WK beam, the additional weapon systems on the Erebus require so much power that the simplest solution was to make the WK beam independent of the main power supply. This allowed the design team to fit the same main reactor assembly as is found on the Titan class, reducing per-unit costs considerably. In addition, it is believed that future upgrades to the class' main armament will be made considerably easier, since they would not require as extensive refits to the main reactor as the ones necessary to upgrade the old Orion class to carry beam weapons.
So... could you say how many of the "smaller" beams can be powered by a dedicated meson reactor?
Im just curious :D

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So... could you say how many of the "smaller" beams can be powered by a dedicated meson reactor?
Im just curious :D

Technically, all of them. There is nothing to stop a ship designer from incorporating dedicated reactors for all beam mounts; the problem is that this vastly increases complexity and cost, which is something TEI designs try to avoid if at all possible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hi guys! I am taking a couple days off between novel contracts to try to get Simms' VA polished and into SVN. All the recording for the Director's Cut is long done, so the holdup is me.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
:welcomegreen:

Great to see you back, Battuta!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:57:28 pm by deathspeed »
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Just spotted these on youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwk65I25DI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HwH37irCik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVfNIrRtTmU

They look amazing. Especially the new Artemis video...just wow.
I would just like to second this. The new AoA credits video shows off some fantastic FREDing, especially with regards to the camerawork:

Especially that transition at 0:45.

Stunning work all around, by everyone involved.

What was the song in the video the middle link - apparently it was Within Temptation? I'm curious to see which one might've been picked.

And what's the song for the AoA credits? I'm really digging it. The camera work - especially the shot involving the Sanctuary and its pilots - is phenomenal.

I remember when Derelict was first released with the GTFf Saphah and when the first TBP release happened. It's crazy just how far this community as come.