Author Topic: Picard  (Read 19270 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Upcoming series, apparently about a vineyard.  :yes:

EDIT: For those who cannot watch the embedded video (which might have region restrictions), this seems to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGijGIZrGKc - Sandwich
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:03:44 am by Sandwich »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Inb4kirkwars.

I'll be keeping an eye on this topic.  ;7
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
My feelings on this are massively mixed. If it's any good then yay, but if not then I'll just jam my fingers in my ears and go lalala like I do with Discovery.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I'm excited to see what the Post-Nemesis world of Star Trek looks like, and Patrick Stewart is a net improvement to anything he's in. Hopefully it's good.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Patrick Stewart is a net improvement to anything he's in. Hopefully it's good.

I agree with you on all accounts except one:

Lest anyone forget that the Emoji movie was a thing that was actually made. :nono:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
He probably was an improvement on even that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
Step right up, get your Picard vintage! Step right up!
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So getting into this a wee bit more, the voice-over in the trailer says:

"15 years ago—today—you led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history. Then—the unimaginable. What did that cost you? Your faith? Your faith in us? Your faith in yourself? Tell us, why did you leave Starfleet, Admiral?"

Also, from Wikipedia:

The series is set 20 years after Jean-Luc Picard's last appearance in Star Trek: Nemesis (2002), and finds the character deeply affected by the destruction of Romulus as depicted in the film Star Trek (2009).

So 5 years after Nemesis, Picard leads a rescue armada. The most likely destination for this armada is obviously Romulus. The mentioned "unimaginable" is possibly the actual destruction of Romulus, or perhaps some terrible mishap that took place shortly thereafter. Regardless, this "unimaginable" event seems to have some sort of connection with a decision Picard made ("...the unimaginable. What did that cost you?").

Thoughts?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Is the trailer region locked?  It says unavailable in the UK :/
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Region locking a trailer would possibly be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. "No you can't watch an advert for our product, it might make you want to buy it! You might help create a buzz about it online. You might encourage other people to see it."

Region locking a trailer would possibly be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

I've heard of movie production companies copyright striking the official trailers for their films on the films' official YouTube channels.

Never underestimate the power of dumb.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Region locking a trailer would possibly be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. "No you can't watch an advert for our product, it might make you want to buy it! You might help create a buzz about it online. You might encourage other people to see it."

I'm guessing that's a direct quote from CBS? Because the trailer is indeed region locked. Easy enough to find mirrors though.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Never underestimate the power of dumb.

I was going to comment underneath that sentence saying that since it's that dumb, of course that's what happened. It's not that I didn't believe they'd region locked it, it was just that stupidity like that should be pointed out.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I know releasing the full versions of shows & movies is highly-dependent on distribution rights in each local region... perhaps trailers are for some reason subject to the same restrictions.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Yeah, that's more or less the point.  All real barriers to distribution are pretty much gone.  You can watch anything you want and whatever time you want where ever you want.  Except for these daft little artificial barriers to distribution that the cable companies and content providers artificially impose in order to hang onto a hopelessly outmoded business model.

Seriously.  I've been pretty religious about buying legitimate copies of anything that I like enough to stream more than a few times.  But when they insist on this kind of asinine restrictions on, "Oh, you found a legal copy of the song you want, but this album is only available in iTunes Nigeria currently.  Please check out the offerings available in your current region..."  I'm paraphrasing, but I'm not making this up.  Found a rare song by a band I liked and wanted to buy a legitimate copy.  I can't.  Because I'm not in fricking NIGERIA.

This is when I seriously start asking myself why I even bother trying the legal approach.  When they make it this difficult to be the good guy, why bother?  Why not just be a pirate?  And this is me, ME saying this.  I haven't pirated anything in darn near 2 decades!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Luis Dias

So getting into this a wee bit more, the voice-over in the trailer says:

"15 years ago—today—you led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history. Then—the unimaginable. What did that cost you? Your faith? Your faith in us? Your faith in yourself? Tell us, why did you leave Starfleet, Admiral?"

Also, from Wikipedia:

The series is set 20 years after Jean-Luc Picard's last appearance in Star Trek: Nemesis (2002), and finds the character deeply affected by the destruction of Romulus as depicted in the film Star Trek (2009).

So 5 years after Nemesis, Picard leads a rescue armada. The most likely destination for this armada is obviously Romulus. The mentioned "unimaginable" is possibly the actual destruction of Romulus, or perhaps some terrible mishap that took place shortly thereafter. Regardless, this "unimaginable" event seems to have some sort of connection with a decision Picard made ("...the unimaginable. What did that cost you?").

Thoughts?

Seems you got it pretty much figured it out.

I guess this will be a show with Picard starring as a kind of a captain of a rogueish ship, with questionable characters in it. I like where this is going, almost reads like what Logan is to the X-Man series.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Patrick Stewart will not be a part of a Trek that is complete garbage, so I have faith this will actually be good.  As someone else said, PatStew makes everything better.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
*cough* Nemesis *cough*

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
That was.........pissing awful.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.