Author Topic: Picard  (Read 19381 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
This is giving me red alert signs everywhere. Picard? Data? Seven of Nine? The Borg? Another plot about saving the universe? Looks like a college-written pitch for a fan novel that every roomate will just laugh at its over-the-topness.

Oh no, they're reusing some of the best characters and plot lines! THE HORROR!

There's Kurtzman behind the wheel, one might appreciate the nostalgia rush but if it's gonna be bolted on another Kurtzman plot like Discovery it's just a bit of spices on a meal that tastes like nothing.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

This is giving me red alert signs everywhere. Picard? Data? Seven of Nine? The Borg? Another plot about saving the universe? Looks like a college-written pitch for a fan novel that every roomate will just laugh at its over-the-topness.

Oh no, they're reusing some of the best characters and plot lines! THE HORROR!

Reusing all good characters is a reliable method to create both epic stories and epic fail stories.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What characters they're using and what plots they hint at tells us precisely nothing about the quality of the show.

Even Kurzman's involvement doesn't (With the usual disclaimer that I like Discovery a lot)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

I like how Data looks though. Finally looking his actual age. The movies were a bit weird in that regard.

1) Data's not supposed to age. He's not supposed to have an age. The movies were "a bit weird" because Spiner's age was actually accentuated by the makeup. Now he's bloated versus slim like he was in the TV show and first couple of TNG movies.
2) What do you mean "another" save the universe plot? Even in the books those are kind of rare.
3) Oh NO! Seven of Nine's back, shown to have grown since being freed from the Collective? GASP. The Borg, an ever-present threat in the galaxy that have been part of Star Trek for almost 40 years? A what-if scenario about a Borg cube not trying to assimilate the kitchen sink? THE HORROR.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:57:24 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Jeri Ryan hasn't aged well 😭😭😭
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

3) Oh NO! Seven of Nine's back, shown to have grown since being freed from the Collective? GASP. The Borg, an ever-present threat in the galaxy that have been part of Star Trek for almost 40 years? A what-if scenario about a Borg cube not trying to assimilate the kitchen sink? THE HORROR.

Is it set only after TNG or after VOY as well? Presence of 7/9 says "yes" but the end of VOY was more like "no way".

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Is it set only after TNG or after VOY as well? Presence of 7/9 says "yes" but the end of VOY was more like "no way".

VOY takes place during the TNG movie timeline, since Janeway is back in the Alpha Quadrant and promoted to admiral by the time Nemesis takes place.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Ah OK it's been a few years since I watched that~

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
VOY takes place during the TNG movie timeline, since Janeway is back in the Alpha Quadrant and promoted to admiral by the time Nemesis takes place.

You have to wonder if Picard quit Star Fleet when she was promoted to Admiral and he had to stay a captain. Cause I know that would be the point I'd realise my career wasn't going to advance! They probably only promoted him to admiral in the hope they could Kirk him back down to Captain.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

Some misconceptions about my comments.

First, by Data showing his age, I mean he looks less "aged" than in the movies. As Cobra correctly puts it, he shouldn't age at all, but I get the point about the slimness.

Second, my red flags are about how the show seems more interested in doing a list of "star trek top hits" rather than a good sci fi story. I don't mind watching Seven of Nine again, she was the best thing about Voyager after all (perhaps excepting Mulgrew), and I have to disagree with Dekker, Ryan is just fine!

Problem is, I have seen all of these "hits" before, multiple times (what can go wrong by doing the Voyager gag of milking the Borg again) and the new "stuff" just seems boring and irrelevant.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Now he's bloated versus slim like he was in the TV show and first couple of TNG movies.

They can just say he needed more space for extra RAM. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Wasted a good bloatware opportunity there...
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Just found this trailer analysis by Trek Central. Looks like they going with post apocalypse (the controversial supernova event) Romulan's experimenting with Borg technology presumably to try and regain some lost power. Gotta love the lab sign saying 5,843 days without assimilation lol! Looks like they have control of a cube too. Considering Romulan's and Borg were my favourite villains from TNG this pleases me greatly.

(notice how they slimmed data in their thumbnail? now he looks about right haha)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:46:58 am by Blake00 »
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- MovieTV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm surprised they aren't gonna try to use the same cgi de-aging technology on Brent Spiner that was used on Samuel L Jackson for Captain Marvel... that was seamless.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Jeri Ryan hasn't aged well 😭😭😭

She's over 50 and she's had a couple of kids. She's aged kinda amazingly really.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'm just making it easier on myself to let her go 😭😭
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Oooooh looks like Robert Picardo, the EMH Doctor from Voyager might be in Star Trek Picard too. God this show opens up so many cool things for not just TNG fans but Voyager and DS9 fans too! :)

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Emulation

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
He's in anything he can get and has less range than a rubber band gun.

I do like him though 😂😂
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

RED ALERT! We've got another new trailer. The beard is back! The old uniforms make a cameo! 7 or 9 is doing her Ronin thing. And we introduce the most hated admiral in Star Trek history haha!

US:

People like me outside of US:
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Boy that sure is a lot of shooting and explosions.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.