Author Topic: Bad Design Choices in Otherise Excellent Games  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Bad Design Choices in Otherise Excellent Games
Dune 2000, being forced to build concrete under your buildings.  Caesar 3, having the residential buildings devolve when one of the many people walking by who maintains the building status decides to take a different route.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In C&C, I think GDI mission 14 was the only one where you had to do that. I always liked those limited-force missions and their puzzle-like gameplay better than the base building ones, which frequently just felt like skirmish games.

I didn't mind them, if, again, they actually allowed me to recon so I could chose my fights. Otherwise "puzzle-like" becomes "trial and error" and unless you're in a Sierra adventure game "trial and error" is not a phrase that should considered normal operating procedure.  (Or if you are in a Sierra adventure game either; there's a reason they didn't last.) This didn't always happen until Tiberian Sun.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
The bit of SS2 where you have to go on the Rickenbacker. The best word I can use to describe the layout of this ship is "retarded", especially considering it's supposed to be a military ship. Four levels of frustration and mediocrity totally overshadowed by the awesomeness of the preceding sections of the game. The ending didn't help matters either.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Dune 2000, being forced to build concrete under your buildings.

I've only ever played Dune 2. What was the issue?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lorric

Dune 2000, being forced to build concrete under your buildings.

I've only ever played Dune 2. What was the issue?
You have to build concrete on the sand and then put your buildings on top of it. You don't have to, but if you just build straight onto the sand, your buildings take damage slowly, so it's a lot less cost effective having to keep repairing them than putting them on the concrete.

I imagine he found the process annoying and thought it brought nothing to the game. Me, it took a bit of getting used to, but it didn't annoy me after that and soon became second nature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I vaguely remember having to do it in Dune 2. And it wasn't really a bad choice there.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It was a bit tedious in Dune 2 but I didn't really mind it. I think people actually bashed Emperor later on because it did not have concrete.