Author Topic: HLPX-COM: Enemy Within  (Read 44010 times)

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Reporting for duty! Assault if possible. No other particular preferences.  ;7

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
wow, nice colors there deathfun  :lol:

I'd like to request my soldier to speak spanish, everything else up to you. Though I must say I like the super mec dude :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline crizza

I wanted in too  :(

But it's ok, it is fun to read  :lol:

Offline Patriot

I'll take a Russian speaking guy, and to be a bald guy if possible, else, short hair.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"You want us to take one alive."

"If possible. Too many things about this situation do not make sense. The aliens have clearly planned this operation for months if not years, undertaken extensive genetic and surgical alteration of infiltration operatives, developed informants and subverted information sources. But they refuse to engage in open warfare. Their goals and motivations and even their bases are a mystery. Wars are won by offensive action. Find me somebody who can give me targets to hit."

Operation Lost Thunder, Syndey, Australia, 5:30pm April 4th
Deployed: Deathfun (support, mission commander), The E (assault), Trashman (sniper), Micheal Sanderson (MEC)

How does a MEC fast-rope? It doesn't. It just jumps.

"Move up through the store and find some aliens, people. You're not rookies, you know how to do this."

"Jesus, watch the crossfire people, let's not trigger the underground tanks okay?"

"****!"

"Trash, this is what happens when you're not aggressive-"

"Holy ****! What the **** is-it's strangling him!"

"Get the **** off!"

"E, you okay?"

"He gave me a thumbs up but he's catching his breath, that thing just appeared out of nowhere."

"X-ray down. We've still got other stuff to fight, people."

"God, they shoot as bad as me when I was a rookie."

"All the ones that have fought us are dead. He is a rookie."

"Well, this one's gonna live. In a cage."

"Contact!"

"Winged one!"

"He'll make a good second addition to the zoo. Move up!"

"Target down!"

"DEATHFUN, BEHIND YOU!"

"Christ, that was close. Thanks Mike."

"No prob. Killing the last one. We can cap others some other day."

"Agreed, those cloaky bastards make it too risky."

"Target down."

"No movement, no targets, no IR. Think we're done here."

Gratuitous MEC pinup.

Deathfun is now a sergeant. His nickname is Axle.

Like hell.

The new Arc Throwers aren't exactly my idea of a good capture weapon, but their effect was as advertized against the little grey bastards. I pleaded with Doctor Shen to give me one, I can take some hits while I close to effective range, but there's too much metal in the Warden's chassis. I'm too good a conductor. Deathfun got it done clean. The man's a pro, it could have gone much worse.

The cloaking things, we're calling them Sentinels...they were a nasty surprise. We're not used to having to cover each other with guns and it's a hell of a thing to realize you need to do. It was pure luck Trash was able to shoot that one off The E, he was running on adrenaline and it wasn't really the best idea to try. If I hadn't seen a flicker of movement behind Deathfun god knows how we'd have gotten it off him. As it was the Warden chassis came through a made a shot I'm not sure I could have done reliably before enhancement.

In other news, a second MEC chassis is being prepped. Short list is apparently Ralwood...that grudge must run real deep. Docs want me to talk to Ral about it, acclimatization, and they're doing a psych workup this time as well. You must be this sane to become a cybernetic death machine. Doc Shen has been hanging around a lot...

I wonder if he's having second thoughts. I haven't yet. I keep wondering if I will.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Sentinels eh?
That's a truly new one.

I'm impressed at the luck I've been having. It is unusual, so I'm totally wondering where and when things are truly going to start going to well...
...where all LPs go on HLP
"No"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
In other news, a second MEC chassis is being prepped. Short list is apparently Ralwood...
Oh hell yes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Checking in. Would love to be dorf'd... I mean, rookie'd up.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Got a general question for everyone here

If I were to start shall we say the B-Team of the XCOM Project to run parallel to this one, would you guys be okay with that? I don't want to take any spotlight here, just give more people an opportunity to be involved
"No"

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I wouldn't be opposed, but wouldn't that be tricky to organize?
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Might as well. I've got a lot of room for pilots left and support stuff, but only a few infantry.

Some of them will be appearing now. Because do you guys feel like new content missions? I feel like new content missions.

Commander. The Council has been monitoring unusual reports about a hijack attempt on a French military convoy. The perpetrators were human, but the French relief effort was interdicted by aliens. This raises interesting questions about the convoy and cargo. The Council has invoked its authority to investigate alien incidents. We need to know what happened to that convoy and what it was carrying.

Operation Cryptic Paramour, Lille, France,  6:45pm, 11 March 2015
Deployed: Irina Ignatyeva (Heavy, mission commander), Admiral Ralwood (MEC), MP-Ryan, Rodo, EuclideanGeometry

“Holy ****, what happened here?”

“Central, this is Strike Lead, somebody staged a serious firefight here. Severe structural damage to nearby buildings. Burned-out vehicles. I can see at least four obvious rocket launcher strikes from where we entered the AO and evidence of sustained machinegun fire. Central...there's no sign of alien weapons having inflicted any of this damage.”

“Strike, confirm negative on alien weapons.”

“Confirm negative on alien weapons, Central."

"Strike, this is the Commander. I will be personally supervising from now on. Move in carefully. Somebody had an awful lot of firepower and wasn't afraid to use it."

"Okay rookies, you heard the man. Let's take this nice and easy."

"What the hell are those? They're not VABs.”

“AMCs. I didn't know the French actually had any in service. Those are AT4 tubes on the sides of the machinegun turrets, they packed a lot of firepower here...Commander, this is Strike Three, we have French AMC armored personnel carriers on the scene. One of them looks intact but the other has had its RWS station blown off, no sign of activity."

"The French report negative radio contact with their forces in the convoy, Strike. Identify yourself with code alpha three."

"No response. Commander, I can see bodies, but I can't make out if they're military or civilian."

"Continue on mission, Strike."

"CONTACT! Thin man! Contact down! Confirm aliens on-site Commander."

"Command, Ralwood, third AMC, this one was taken out by a rocket or someth-CONTACT! Son of a ***** cratched my paint."

"Firing. Target down. Score one for second MEC."

"Ryan, what's that AMC look like?"

"Empty, Commander. Checking the other two-contact! Thin man. He just hid behind a truck."

"Enemy moving up! Firing! Missed."

"Got him. Target down."

"Ryan, as you were saying."

"Other one is empty. Last one is definitely dead to a HEAT round, commander. Commander, there are bodies here, but they're not French military. A lot of them are wearing bandannas across their faces, orange armbands, civvies with some military bodyarmor over them. They've been killed with human weapons."

"Those aren't French-issue weapons lying around either."

"Would have been a nice little place to dance, once. AT4 stopped that. "

"Commander! Contact, single human!"

"Get over there and find out who he is."

"Alien rolling up! We missed him!"

"Minor damage. Chaingun empty, switching to flamethrower."

"Target is dead."

"Okay, let's do this right. Rodo, I want you on the roof of this building. Euclid, secure our backtrail. Ral and MP, secure the human."

Might as well leave me here, I've got nothing to say to you people.

"All that after Ral pointed a chaingun at him. Man's got guts. No brains, but guts."

"Unacceptable. He's the only living witness to this fight and he could have been one of the aggressors for all we know. He's coming in whether he likes it or not."

Pose as a team, because **** just got real!

"Strike One, hostiles entering the AO."

"Dammit Rodo!"

"He's lost it, ****!"

"Ryan, bring that asshole down, you're the only chance Rodo's got!"

"He'll get poisoned either way!"

"If you don't kill it now it kills Rodo and flanks us from an elevated position!"

"Firing! X-ray down!"

"Got one on an AMC in front of us, bringing it down. Target negated."

"Not bad Euclid."

This is only the beginning, it's only a matter of-*coughing*

"Somebody under my command just died to save your life you prick, you don't get a voice."

You're nothing but a bunch of *cough* puppets.

"Ryan, if he talks again whack him."

"Strike, we have hostiles dropping on top of the building near your extraction point."

"I'll go."

"Euclid, you saw what happened to-"

"I'll go."

"...do it."

"Whoa! Pretty thick up here!"

"Target down!"

This is a waste of time.

"Goddammit, shut up! I am so having Vahlen fry your brain!"

"The bastard just spit poison all over me! Target down!"

What're you trying to prove?

"Ryan, hit him."

"With pleasure!"

"Strike, X-ray dropping in."

"I have had absolutely enough of this ****."

"Jesus Irina, chill."

Still not getting anything from me.

"Goddamn, you don't know when to quit man."

We lost Rodo.

Bastards. It was all going...perhaps not well, but we were winning. We still are winning. It hardly feels it now.

There are many temptations when it comes to blame. Myself, the Commander, the people who inducted Rodo, those who elevated him. The Commander told me that the people to blame for Rodo's death are the ones who shot him, and there's no room for me in that equation. There is logic to what he says, but...logic has little to do with emotion. We are at the end so pitifully mortal.

Yet the system can work. We can produce miracles. EuclidanGeometry is one. On the rookie mission, four kills, the courage to climb that ladder and engage a pair of aliens at close quarters even after losing Rodo. That is one who has earned their black veteran's armor many times over.

A Feddie Story

Woohoo!  First mission!
Sorry about Rodo, though :(
What is an "old nazi plate"?

One puts food on it then goebbels it up.

Wait what did rodo die of
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Wait what did rodo die of

Took a hit. Panicked. Ran across an alien's field of fire. Took another hit. Stopped next to a Thin Man. Still panicking. Had the option of leaving it alone, in which case it kills Rodo and flanks everyone else, or kills someone else and Rodo's still panicking so it'll kill him then.

So I shot the Thin Man, Rodo got poisoned, and the poison killed him.

****ty options there.

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
No kidding

Definitely one of the more interesting first mission deaths though
"No"

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
nouuu damn bastards!
IARDEAD.
el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
We have a UFO on the ground in the Sinai. Scramble Strike One.

Operation Rotting King, the Sinai, Egypt. April 12th, 11:30am.
Deployed: Headdie (support, mission commander), Polpolion (support), MP-Ryan (assault), Irina Ignatyeva (heavy), Admiral Ralwood (MEC)

"I can't believe you're making me wear rookie armor on my first run. I've got more experience than most of this team!"

"Look, the SASR is nice, but frankly we don't know you and until you've been shot at with plasma fire I don't trust you. You're a rookie to me."

Ralwood in full armor, showing off the flamethrower module.

"Okay, nobody here is supposedly a rookie, there's a UFO, let's do this people. Commander would like a Thin Man, and anything else interesting, back alive.

"Got a bold one! X-Ray neutralized!"

"Christ, are those things jetpacks with faces!?"

"Winged one!"

"Okay, now you're officially no longer a rookie Polpolion."

"Thin them out people, leave at least one alive!"

"X-ray down."

"Got Thin Men trying to get in the ship from the other side! One down!"

"God, that's not a view I ever want to see again. Plasma hell right there." Note from the future: Irony.

"Stupid jetpack aliens! Popolion! Wound this one, DO NOT kill it."

"Aye-aye. Target injured."

"Sleep tight, face and jetpack."

"God, can I just HIT SOMETHING today?"

"I got this. Target down."

"Nice shooting MP."

"Got more coming in! Second down."

"Tell Doctor Shen to have some armor plates ready."

"But not too many apparently, these guys suck at hitting moving targets."

"Don't jinx it!"

"Solid kill."

"Okay, maybe a little more armor."

"One of the ones that materialize!"

"Take down that Thin Man behind the engine core but do not hit it! I like not glowing in the dark!"

"Copy! Target down!"

"Ralwood, soak some fire."

"Copy. Jesus, can't hit me-FRAK! Armor holding, returning fire!" Ralwood used the Collateral Damage ability native to all MECs, which like Suppression, costs two ammo. Unlike suppression it blows away any cover in a small radius around the target.

"Attempting stun-oh ****!"

"MP!"

"I'm all-oh ****!"

"Eat lightning you piece of ****!"

"Request permission to take down the last alien!"

"Negative. I got this."

"Mission complete. Ryan, don't move."

MP-Ryan came off the Skyranger on a stretcher. He insisted he could walk, but that was probably the painkillers we had him on. Serious burns after this vest failed, broken femur from when he bounced off the MEC after getting hit. He ran on that leg. I saw him do it. 14 days in sickbay. Amazing the miracles we perform under pressure, and those the doctors perform on us afterwards.

Deathfun makes captures look easy, but MP-Ryan...that was the nightmare we all feared captures could be. He was lucky to survive, but survive he did. The Commander has indicated a decoration is in order and I doubt anyone disagrees.

Doctor Shen was down there looking at our new hostiles. He seemed pretty troubled. I saw him and Micheal and the cybernetics doc looking pretty serious in the cantina late this evening. I think the possibilities of the misuse of Meld just...hit them in the face.

A Feddie Story

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm tougher than I look.  It would be nice, however, if the sensation of skin melting off my body would stop sometime soon.

Also, weapon and armour aside, the character model you've/XCOM assigned me actually bears an eerie physical resemblance to my actual appearance (stocky build, Caucasian, short black hair).  How strange.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Ironically, he's Chinese. You and Rodo both picked up a pair of newbies from the PRC.

A Feddie Story

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Ironically, he's Chinese. You and Rodo both picked up a pair of newbies from the PRC.

That's a Chinese character model, eh?  Interesting.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]