Author Topic: Chimera Squad, aka Rainbow SiXCOM  (Read 1401 times)

Chimera Squad, aka Rainbow SiXCOM
Other possible titles:
BattleteXCOM
Frozen SynapXCOM
Door KickrXCOM

boy that got away from me...

So what is *XCOM Chimera Squad*? In case you missed it, there's a new XCOM game that's set some years after the events of XCOM 2, in a city where humans, former ADVENT, aliens stranded by The Elders, and alien-human hybrids live, sometimes in peace. XCOM is there to supplement the police force, and investigate weirdness, and do counter-terrorism stuff.
It's a turn-based tactics game that plays very similarly to XCOM 1 and 2. EXCEPT now instead of whole teams moving at once, every soldier is placed in initiative order, generally friendlies and enemies taking turns. Think Battletech.

ALSO, you don't get the big ol' maps that you had in other games, you also don't need to worry about accidentally activating pods before you're ready. Instead, missions take place over 1-3+ "encounters" on fairly small maps. And before each encounter, you set your team up to breach, and using explosives and other buildable items, you can get pretty cool bonuses on breach.

Also also, instead of random and fully customizable soldiers, you get (have?) to pick from a roster of existing people. But they're all sorts of species from human to alien, and they each have a different skill tree to go down.

Re: Chimera Squad, aka Rainbow SiXCOM
I quite like how they've gone about this wrt pricing.

BattleteXCOM
Frozen SynapXCOM
Door KickrXCOM

I think my favorite so far is "Snek Ops"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 02:25:21 am by -Joshua- »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
X-Cops
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

And this game gets hard fast. The biggest problem so far, is that while it's uncommon for team members to *die*, if they fall in combat they'll get a scar that inhibits their performance, and have to spend two days healing to get rid of it. "Ah, you say, no problem! Just sub in another operative!" Thing is, you can't just recruit them at will, you only get more at specific points, and you can't take a mission with fewer than 4 operatives. And you also need operatives to speed "research" projects, and go on special ops. I currently have six total people, and I'm having to send some of them into the field with their scars. And I only have one healer so far.

Fun though!

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
I heard on another forum that it comes with a bunch of adware, spyware type stuff and that's why it's so cheap? Requires an internet connection even though it's single player only, that sort of thing?

Y'all notice anything like that?

Offline 0rph3u5

Heard nothing about that, but there are other more sane explainations for the low price point: From the lack of high-powered marketing, to the lack of QA (I've not read any review that didn't mention bunches of bugs and difficulty spikes), to it being fundamentally build on X-Com 2, to trying to undercut the Gears of War-tactics spin-off (which appearently suprised a lot of industry insiders how not terrible it is), to it being an "after hours" project.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
So is this dlc, a freebie, etc?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

It's stand-alone. It costs €10 this week and starting next week it'll be €20.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:20:38 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I might treat myself....
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Shameless double post....

I did treat myself, downloading now.

Its my birthday so I deserve this :p

Also noticed that the original series plus the awful enforcer is on sale on steam for about 2 quid.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Heard nothing about that, but there are other more sane explainations for the low price point: From the lack of high-powered marketing, to the lack of QA (I've not read any review that didn't mention bunches of bugs and difficulty spikes), to it being fundamentally build on X-Com 2, to trying to undercut the Gears of War-tactics spin-off (which appearently suprised a lot of industry insiders how not terrible it is), to it being an "after hours" project.

Probably just the bog-standard game telemetry stuff that everyone collects nowadays then, and not anything too egregious (if it was I assume we'd be hearing more about it by now).

[...] to the lack of QA (I've not read any review that didn't mention bunches of bugs and difficulty spikes) [...]

So many bugs...
All my SMGs just up and disappeared. The fix is to just console them back in...

Offline 0rph3u5

If it were not for the bugs, the game actually flows quite nicely. Although I kinda miss the ability to reverse momentum and would sometimes fall back into a perviously cleared area - esspecially against the Sacred Coil.

I am don't actually like the iniative order and there appears to be a persistent problem when it picks enemies for objective-critical behavior and then picks the ones at the top of the iniative order - but without knowing the specifics I can't tell if its broken or I just don't manipulate the iniative order enough.

In contrast however, breaking up the missions into chunks actually ambilifies the "one more turn"-effect.

==================

If it were not for the bugs, the game actually flows quite nicely.

Big agree

I am don't actually like the iniative order [...] but without knowing the specifics I can't tell if its broken or I just don't manipulate the iniative order enough.

It's possible. When you really get into abilities like Terminal's Teamwork(?), Godmother's Overtime, the one-use thing ability you always have, and the motility inducer, you really start to see things pop. It's extremely satisfying to watch the red tabs slide out of initiative order and your blue tabs slide up and stack together :)

Also: snEKS-COM

Offline 0rph3u5

I just had the best ambient conversation between Verge and Axiom, about exterrestrials and cats :D

There is so little of the characters but they doubled down on dynamics that pop in short dialogue :)

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

I had to restart my campaign last night, because I'd gotten myself stuck on the finale of the Sacred Coil-arc and Ironman-mode being Ironman-mode ... you get it, right?

So what you assestment on the best route through the investigations?
Spoiler:
After my second start I went Progeny -> Grey Phoenix -> Sacred Coil now - and so far it is looking good. Before that I went Progeny then Sacred Coil and no matter who well I played or lucky I was, I got hammered in the encounter with the Gatekeeper.

I picked the Progeny first because I remember just who powerful psionics can be - and if you don't pack those flashbangs the Progeny really gives you a hard time.
Grey Phoenix however felt kinda weak as second pick, they didn't seem to have the same powerful combinations that the Progeny and Sacred Coil have.
Sacred Coil ... pulls no punches, but the kicker is really their finale with the waves of Ronin and then that f'ing Gatekeeper for a boss...

==================