Author Topic: Black Prophecy closed beta  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Black Prophecy closed beta
I've played it, and I have quite a few gripes. My biggest one definitely has to be the lack of any actual ship variation. Last I played it, there were literally only three different ships you could fly, and they were for the three 'races' you play. So effectively, one fighter at a time.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

I've played it, and I have quite a few gripes. My biggest one definitely has to be the lack of any actual ship variation. Last I played it, there were literally only three different ships you could fly, and they were for the three 'races' you play. So effectively, one fighter at a time.

Yeah, it's missing a lot of stuff, but as long as you go into it remembering that it's a beta and tempering your expectations accordingly, it's not bad. It has potential that makes it worth keeping tabs on. If EVE goes down in flames, I might look into playing BP in something other than a "Hey, I've got time, why the heck not," kind of way.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Just started playing this a couple of hours ago, seems pretty fun so far. I'm Turey in-game, was wondering if anyone else played. I'm on the NA server.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:30:41 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Belisarius

• I will not give up my ship!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Legends of Middleearth
I wonder a bit about Reakktor Media's release concept. Here in europe it already got released and from what I read here some major features from the release version aren't yet in the beta version that americans play. Or did I missunderstand Hades' comment about the ship variation?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I wonder a bit about Reakktor Media's release concept. Here in europe it already got released and from what I read here some major features from the release version aren't yet in the beta version that americans play. Or did I missunderstand Hades' comment about the ship variation?
I'm not sure, my comment was about there being only a total of three flyable ships, one for each possible player race (the regular humans, the tyr, and genide all only have one ship the player can control each, totaling three player ships)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:06:26 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline -Sara-

This isn't that hyped/AI controlled experimental space game is it? Long ago I know some people in the online world mused about a space game in the making where everything developed itself through random events and calculations and the server trying to patch A and B together to extrapolate event C etc. Supposedly the devs had to make the graphical content and code, while the script would write itself constantly: if you entered a zone no-one went to yet, the game'd generate something based on odds and what's already going on. It'd be heavily based on physics and exploration or such. No idea on that title but sci-fi buffs worshipped the concept, a few indie guys worked on it, also don't know if they still do: many in the Trek communities were on about it when the original Star Trek Online devs failed to deliver. Can't remember the name of the game either, something with Dark <something>. Planets and stuff supposedly would randomly spawn under certain cosmic conditions and content concerning civilizations would be placed according to Drake equations and what not. Sort of a very evolved and adult Spore, but you stayed in space and communicated with AI elements and players alike as a commander/pilot. Sounded very conceptual to me rather than something solid, perhaps only vaporware after all. But that isn't this is it?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:27:50 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Belisarius

• I will not give up my ship!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Legends of Middleearth
I'm not sure, my comment was about there being only a total of three flyable ships, one for each possible player race (the regular humans, the tyr, and genide all only have one ship the player can control each, totaling three player ships)
Ah ok. Have to admit I don't need an own fleet. One ship for the player I think is enough and the way you can upgrade your ship also is a really nice feature. If I wanted a fleet I'd play X or something similar.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
This isn't that hyped/AI controlled experimental space game is it? Long ago I know some people in the online world mused about a space game in the making where everything developed itself through random events and calculations and the server trying to patch A and B together to extrapolate event C etc. Supposedly the devs had to make the graphical content and code, while the script would write itself constantly: if you entered a zone no-one went to yet, the game'd generate something based on odds and what's already going on. It'd be heavily based on physics and exploration or such. No idea on that title but sci-fi buffs worshipped the concept, a few indie guys worked on it, also don't know if they still do: many in the Trek communities were on about it when the original Star Trek Online devs failed to deliver. Can't remember the name of the game either, something with Dark <something>. Planets and stuff supposedly would randomly spawn under certain cosmic conditions and content concerning civilizations would be placed according to Drake equations and what not. Sort of a very evolved and adult Spore, but you stayed in space and communicated with AI elements and players alike as a commander/pilot. Sounded very conceptual to me rather than something solid, perhaps only vaporware after all. But that isn't this is it?

Was it Infinity?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline -Sara-

Might be, if it's for years in the work already. I remember reading it and thinking "Wow, nice!". Then reading it again and thinking "They'll probably cut on most promises eventually". Mostly because it sounded far-fetched back then.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.