Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever to be released next year by Gearbox  (Read 8822 times)

Offline Mika

Duke Nukem Forever to be released next year by Gearbox
It appears that the CEO of Gearbox, Randy Pitchford, has confirmed that the development of Duke Nukem Forever has been transferred to Gearbox. Release date: next year. The news came from PAX though there were rumors by Kotaku before the convention.

Linky

After having played Painkiller and being pumped up for good old school FPS, I'm eagerly awaiting for this!
And Bulletstorm of course!
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Duke Nukem Forever to be released next year by Gearbox
Always bet on Duke.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mika

There's actually some in game footage at Kotaku!

Gotta love the plan for operation "Cockblock"

Offline Mika

Live stream can be found here

It's unfair they got to play the demo and the rest of us haven't!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
lolwut :lol:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I hear rumors that the Duke has no hit points. Instead, his health system is based on ego.

i am so pumped for this game

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I hear rumors that the Duke has no hit points. Instead, his health system is based on ego.

i am so pumped for this game

If its done by the same folks that did Painkiller I suppose "a gun that shoots dogs" isn't out of the question :P 

Lets see if they deliver on mixing in "Cooking Mama" into the multi genre masterpiece.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, hey, look, another FPS with a hypermacho protagonist! What an unbelievably new concept! I am quite certain that this WILL be the most important game EVER MADE. Nothing will ever be able to come near it!

In other news, hell just froze over. Seriously, now we're supposed to celebrate the rebirth of an IP that over the past few years has lost any shred of uniqueness or appeal? Give me a new TimeSplitters instead.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh, hey, look, another FPS with a hypermacho protagonist! What an unbelievably new concept! I am quite certain that this WILL be the most important game EVER MADE

Actually, these days we mostly get sort of quiet conflicted hurt protagonists. Duke is a relic from another era.

I was disappointed to see retinal jam regenerating health, though.

Offline Mika

If its done by the same folks that did Painkiller I suppose "a gun that shoots dogs" isn't out of the question 

Painkiller is developed by People Can Fly. Duke is done by Gearbox.

Oh, hey, look, another FPS with a hypermacho protagonist! What an unbelievably new concept! I am quite certain that this WILL be the most important game EVER MADE. Nothing will ever be able to come -near it!

In other news, hell just froze over. Seriously, now we're supposed to celebrate the rebirth of an IP that over the past few years has lost any shred of uniqueness or appeal? Give me a new TimeSplitters instead.

Duke is the first hypermacho first person shooter protagonist. And he is still rather unique - it is actually refreshing to see a protagonist that is so easily recognisable. And I didn't force you to read this thread.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Oh you mentioned Painkiller and Bulletstorm in the OP, my brain somehow leapt to that conclusion.  Well I guess the gun that shoots dogs is out but I'm still hopeful for the Cooking Mama sections though.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Oh, hey, look, another FPS with a hypermacho protagonist! What an unbelievably new concept! I am quite certain that this WILL be the most important game EVER MADE. Nothing will ever be able to come near it!

It's worth mentioning that the game has been in development since 1998. Some of us fondly remember the original Duke 3D, from 1996, and therefore look forward to a sequel that kicks as much ass as the original.

And yeah. While Doom pioneered 3D gaming and the FPS in general, Duke pioneered giving it attitude. That's something we'll always be thankful for. Afterall, who can forget the awesome DukeTalk feature?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

As a player of Duke Nukem 1, 2, 3D and Manhattan Project I would be happy to see the return of the franchise, though I will still only believe they have actually finished it when i can pick a copy from a game shop shelf and it has a disk inside with the game on.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, I've heard Duke was going to be released next year before. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Yep, DNF is just like the new Dark Eldar Codex for Wh40k: rumors of a next-year release for over a decade.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Even if this actually comes out, I can't see how it would impress anyone today (aside from the fact that it was released). It seems like a fun game but will essentially be just another FPS. It had to have been released 10 years ago to stand out in any way. Duke himself won't be much of a selling point today, especially to all the console gamers. Many of them have only heard of Duke at all because of the delays on this game.

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
Even if this actually comes out, I can't see how it would impress anyone today (aside from the fact that it was released). It seems like a fun game but will essentially be just another FPS. It had to have been released 10 years ago to stand out in any way. Duke himself won't be much of a selling point today, especially to all the console gamers. Many of them have only heard of Duke at all because of the delays on this game.
Me and every body who i know and was a PC gamer or Duke Nukem fan back in the ninetees buy this.
This game is a pure cult, this is Chuck Norris of the game industry and when i saw press confernce with Jon St. John voice actor of Duke, he confirms that DNF  is close to be realased and people go nuts. So i think that Duke sells quite well mr Prophet.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:55:13 pm by utops »
What if ?

Offline Nuclear1

I'll believe it when I see it.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Why does every game have to "impress" people?  Sometimes you just want to relax and blow **** up, and I imagine this game will provide that in spades.