Author Topic: Letters to Voice Actors  (Read 8052 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Letters to Voice Actors
Hey guys,

I want to put together a sampling of community feedback (by which I mean 'praise') for a few of our hardest-working semipro voice actors. These guys did some bang-up jobs, completely for free, with no prior knowledge of FreeSpace or the community, and I think it would mean a lot to them to hear back about what we thought of their roles.

So, if you guys have any comments on the roles of Admiral Bei, Samuel Bei, the GTD Temeraire, Lumin Kristae, Iwakura, or Esmar Al'Fadil, could you post them here? I'll pass them on to our voice actors once we have a few.

Consider it an applied thank-you note that bumps up our chances of getting them back for War in Heaven if we ever decide to VA it as well.

(And of course we all love Dekker.)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: Letters to Voice Actors
No comments to specific roles, because they were all great! :yes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Awesome. If you feel inspired, could you pick out a few, specifically any praise for the roles listed above?

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
They were all bloody awesome and did a brilliant job. If they could be encouraged to return, I think we as a community would feel honoured.

Admiral Bei and the Rear Admiral of the Temeraire were frankly my favourite performances, though your two wingmen and Samuel Bei were excellent as well.

Orestes control was brilliant as well, yay brit!
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Temeraire especially, she did a fe roles right? I think she carried it off bloody well. And i would love to have her over to my C&C for a debrief pass on my thanks for a great contribution. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
So, if you guys have any comments on the roles of Admiral Bei, Samuel Bei, the GTD Temeraire, Lumin Kristae, Iwakura, or Esmar Al'Fadil, could you post them here? I'll pass them on to our voice actors once we have a few.

My favorites from that list would have to be Samuel Bei, Lumin Kristae and Esmar Al'Fadil. Bei fit his character perfectly, and I could tell exactly what the character was feeling pretty much all the time. Kristae and Al'Fadil, like everyone else, sounded realistic and emoted very well, but they'd be among my favorites because they sounded like GTVA officers. I'm not sure what it was about the voices, maybe some of the inflection, but it was done very well. Same for the good Colonel as the Orestes as well.

Iwakura and Admiral Bei were also done very well, and really all the voice acting in BP is about an order of magnitude better than what could be expected from a non-funded game mod. The Admiral didn't sound the same way I pictured him, but since I pictured a mix of Admiral Petrarch and Captain Picard that one would be hard to top. :p

Although it's not on the list, I'd like to make a note about the processing on the Vishnans as well. They sound more alien and enigmatic than I could have possibly imagined. Of course, the fact that the other lines sound so clean and unprocessed is an excellent achievement as well...

Hats off to everyone involved. You've all made a significant contribution to one of the last things the original BP was lacking. :D

Offline -Norbert-

Awesome. If you feel inspired, could you pick out a few, specifically any praise for the roles listed above?
Considering that they were all so good, that's quite hard...
But I really liked Iwakura. Apart from having a charming voice, she got the differences between the Sanctuary crew and the 14th battlegroup across very well. There are after all a whole universe and several decades of time between them to make sure there are some differences in pronounciation between them.
And while he didn't get included in the original post, I'd also like to commend the voiceactor of Lt. Nehru. While his role was really short it was very well done.

And also a BIG THANKYOU for Rian and General Battuta for putting the voice acting together!

Al'Fadil was probably my top pick, maybe his accent made it easier on him, but he did very well imo.
Temeraire and Kristae, and Iwakura were my faves after that, the Bei's were ok....but the Admiral didn't really get enough air time (*and his first lines weren't all that convincing), Samuel was actually my least favourite because of his strange swapping between massive overacting and flat dullness, when he nailed it though, he really nailed it (see; start of The Great Preservers/Keepers of Hell, and I have a fondness for his lines on the Sathanus).
I'm probably being overly harsh on Samuel because I hear the most of him.

Corey and Taylor were awesome too.
Taylor probably did the best with emotions in the whole thing,
Corey ...."Now we've got ourselves a Sathanus to take down" = stuck in my head. ;D

As for Dekker...who recruited a Londoner...?
Haha, I jest <3
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Oh, here's a thing, does Iwakura do any voices in Silent Threat Reborn? I was playing the mission where you have to protect the Einstein escape pods, and I'm sure Alpha 4 was Iwakura.

Oops, didn't realise that the esteemed Colonel did a voice in it, may I ask who you were? (My money is on Orestes control)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
I think any voice acting that sounds half reasonable should be commendable, it really helps to set the atmosphere, and you don't spend all your time reading the text at the top of the screen. (Note, I haven't played Blue Planet)
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline -Norbert-

Then you really should. Because it's voiceacting is way better than "half reasonable".
And it also has a great story and great missions.

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
By "half reasonable" I meant no offense, and didn't mean the Blue Planet actors were only half reasonable, just in case anybody was wondering (I'm not saying you took offense, -Nobert-)
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
To the three of you who wrote me lengthy Orestes fanfic e-mails. . . . . . .  . .shame on you.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Being an anime fan, I'm really finicky about voice actor(resses)... xP
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Being an anime fan, I'm really finicky about voice actor(resses)... xP
I'm an anime fan too, but I'm generally very forgiving of them. :p

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
If you really wanted me to, I can act in an anime style.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
If you really wanted me to, I can act in an anime style.

I would *almost* pay to see that.

And with regards to the anime comments - I love anime, am a huge fan of quite a few series, and don't mind watching it subbed or dubbed. But of the many things it can be praised for, I don't think quality of the VAs is one of them (Save for a select few high value productions - GitS I'm looking at you)

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Guardian of the Spirit and FMA must certainly get that recognition as well.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Back on topic, people.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
+1 for the Titan control. There was one line, ONE LINE that had me completely. And it wasn't even the whole line, but rather the way in which some words within that sentence were spoken. I'd pin it down but I'm lazy to skim through all the audio clips :lol: :blah:

Sure a carrier isn't as 'awesome' as a battleship that is the Raynor, but to do that, some would see that as playing towards a common cliche so the role of a carrier commander is just as well.

I forgot whose voice was Dekker's but IIRC I was expecting the voice of some 'experienced old rough father dude' and I think my last reaction was "oh boy am I so wrong" or something... LOL...

seeing as how I one-shot the whole thing and haven't re-played it again :nervous:

Damn, I'd mention more on some of the other characters, but no more wall of text from me. XD
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."