Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211376 times)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
Please don't run anyone off, KT...
We don't need this, since all those people at VA... err...  VA us look real bad.
Most of us lost our temper today and need to make up for it

Right, well there's being angry that someone is going to screw over your favorite game, and then there's being irrationally angry to the point where it doesn't make our community (already accused of doing so on the topic) look worse. Especially from someone who just signed up.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Originally posted by Bobboau
if we continue maintaining the FS universe, he can (theoreticly) fuck us up, and additionaly, I think there are some major over reactions going on here, everyone calm DOWN!

And how can they do that? We play with the code. We play with FS2. Not FS3.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Wow, everyone went overboard on this.  We got our token visit by Derek Smart.  Yay.  We've passed an important milestone.  We've got people crawling out of the woodwork (And I really want to know what secret messaging system we've got installed in here; the FS legacy threat radar must have been sounding mightily to get 126 people in here at once) to do what, flame the least professional developer in all of gaming?  I personally do not feel threatened by a man who boasts that he can beat anyone with his amazing results on an internet IQ test.  You can't argue logic with someone like him, he's beyond logic of any kind.  But I say let him come.  He can't exactly damage the state of the community now, and who knows, something positive may come out of this.  

I will say though that we have not handled the inter-community relations as well as I had hoped.  I guess that was to be expected when the most avid, and unfortunately often overly-critical, members are the first to respond to something like this, but oh well.  We're certainly are a defensive lot (did I see TopAce actually pimping FSO back there somewhere?) and, well, some toes got stepped on and we stepped back.  I say lets ignore the threats and the lies and the idle jibberish and go about our normal business.  Mr. Smart is gone, and I doubt he'll ever be back.

Will we see a FS3 from him?  The possibility exists.  Though from what I can make out in the incoherent babbel that was presented as a plan, I doubt he could even find a publisher for it.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, and I doubt we ever will.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
Ok, so Derek Smart may buy the FS license.  And a lot of people think that his previous games weren't very good.  And he admits to having a big Alpha-male ego.  And we all know that V really isn't going to make FS3.  What exactly is the purpose of pissing him off?  If you don't want his version of FS3, don't buy it.

What would stop a pissed-off Derek Smart from making sure he gets all the rights and trademarks and having his lawyers send the various FS sites a cease and desist order?  Anybody here have the money to pay for a countersuit?

Buried in what he said was a truth - it's business.  If he thinks he can create a new fan base and ignore the old one there's nothing we can do about it.  Flaming him is just going to make the situation worse and end any possibility of our collective influence.
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
So we should just sit by idly and ignore him while he drives the whole thing into the ground?

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
we play with FS, to wich he may get ownership of the intelectual property of.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no we should try seeing were it goes, before going ape****.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
he cannot stop us from playing, and he cannot stop ferrium or the SCP

you want to show who's better? Get your to work on the DirectX renderer and the render API abstraction for ferrium :P
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
Originally posted by Knight Templar
So we should just sit by idly and ignore him while he drives the whole thing into the ground?

Beyond trying to offer calm, sensible advice what else can you do?  You want to jump up and down a scream?  It's not going to help. He's NOT going to react favorably to being flamed - anymore than you would.  Unloosing the flamethrowers can only make the situation worse.
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

I agree for the most part, bobbaou. A lot of the overtly negative things said early werent necessary, to be sure. I still think he can make a good FS3, its just the way he handled a bit of initial criticism that irks me. And the fact that he came to the point where he began making threats.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Falcon

CIA: He said Freespace 3 sir.
President: He did what!
CIA: Yes he said the forbidden words!
President: Time to reveal our little secret.
CIA: But that weapon hasn't been tested yet!
President: I think its time.
CIA: As you wish, turn the orbital satellite on and power the beam cannon.

Next day:

Anchorman: No one knows what happened to Mr. Smart last night sources say that Mr. Smart was abducted.
Farmer: I saws it from the skys ands it was huge and greens and it went on Mr. Smarts and I ran into the house with my cow and we hids in the bathroom.
Anchorman: We will have more for you soon as we get more information.

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
He has not done a thing yet, please stop talking as if the end is near.

When the official word is in, then react. Besides even if he buys it and ruins it we still love FS2!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Bobboau
no we should try seeing were it goes, before going ape****.

I agree. I sent an E-Mail mentioning that there are people in the FS community who want to see a sequel and do have experience in the industry and want to help out.

The reply I received was not very promising, mostly due to a post I made on the Nodewars forum that he objected to.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

I read the guys replies, and regardless of this guy's intentions, I cannot stand his attitude. People in the industry should be held to a higher standard and I can see why many folks hate Derek Smart. If he would stop ranting and respond to people who have honest opinions, maybe I could give him some respect.

As it is, I would hate to see such an immature individual make a Freespace game.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Here's my POV(which is skewed most of the time anyway, but here goes)

Best Case:  Mr. Smart is somehow able to cobble together UT2K4 graphics and sound, Good Music and as a hattrick, get the Original writers, ship designers, ect to sign on for 2 more besides FS3.  We're all happy.

Worst Case:  Mr. Smart blows it again and show the world how much he actually sucks.  Again We're all happy.

I keep seeing a comic strip with people walking around talking about how they're looking forward to FS2 or Battlecruiser "Insert Sequel Title Here" and all of a sudden a shadow falls over them with a "Hey, everybody!  Let me talk about how great I am and how much you suck!" and the the final panel has a charicature of DS with a head the size of Mars.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I started out slightly skeptical...then he started ranting about how great His vision was going to be. That bothered me a little more. Then he came over to HLP and practically flamed the whole community in his first post...then he started making threats.

For someone with a big 'alpha male' ego, he seems to have a very thin skin. If he could get over that I think he'd be much more likely to gain people's support, I know he'd be much more likely to have mine.
-C

Is anybody still trying to buy the Freespace license, so I can donate money? :confused:
"I have a present day install base that pretty much eclipses the Freespace install base. Combined. As such, I think I know what I'm doing."

- Stupid Muther****er (aka Derek Smart)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
see the other thread on this Free_The_weed

btw

:welcome:
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Thanks Kazan. :)
"I have a present day install base that pretty much eclipses the Freespace install base. Combined. As such, I think I know what I'm doing."

- Stupid Muther****er (aka Derek Smart)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Free_The_WEED
Is anybody still trying to buy the Freespace license, so I can donate money? :confused:

:nod:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25177.0.html
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25171.0.html
-C