Author Topic: BP Community Multiplayer Project (Install directions here)  (Read 37377 times)

Re: War In Heaven Community Multiplayer Project
After downloading like 40 odd files when your in a rush you would be frustrated too.... And as far as update software, we already have that, its called FSOINSTALLER.you should look into getting BPMP added :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
After downloading like 40 odd files when your in a rush you would be frustrated too.... And as far as update software, we already have that, its called FSOINSTALLER.you should look into getting BPMP added :)

FSOInstaller is nowhere near as powerful as SVN for this purpose, and would not do nearly as well. In fact, FSOInstaller is being upgraded because it's not good enough.

And you'd have just downloaded 40 odd files in a single package anyway - did you somehow have to download each of them individually? Normally you just have to press the 'checkout' or 'update' button and it takes care of it on its own. Did you somehow have to give individual commands for each file?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Here's some clarification.

FSOInstaller can download entire files. All or nothing. If the Blue Planet multiplayer package were uploaded as a single archive, which it would have to be, and then updated - which it is, every day - you'd have to download the whole archive again every day.

That'd kill a lot of bandwidth. Do you really want that?

SVN, on the other hand, only downloads files that have changed or been recently added. It saves you a ton of bandwidth and saves the host a lot too.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
The FSO Installer itself needs to be updated, and the person maintaining it knows it. As for you downloading 40 odd files in a rush... There shouldn't be much to download. Aside from the Blue Planet requirements and the Multi requirements, the only thing you have to download for this mod specifically is TortoiseSVN. It would weigh exactly the same as the vps you only need one button to download everything. If you made a mistake, go check #multi-setup on the IRC. I should mention that we aren't as user-friendly as other projects because of the following reasons:

1.) Just like Nightly builds we depend on, we're "bleeding-edge". If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't touch us. However, if you don't know what you're doing but would like to try, we'll help you. Just don't complain.

2.) We're open to the public, and we have no real leader. We don't have a person to zip up the files for you nor for the Installer. We don't need to because we're not finished. Everyone who plays contributes. If you don't have the time, then you should avoid it just like any other game or mod.

But honestly, we're pretty noob-friendly if you ask us. We prefer you to ask on IRC where the bulk of us hang, but if you can't do that, then PM someone or make a thread here. All we ask, and I'll say this again, is that you don't whine and complain. Most of us are just regular folks who plays FreeSpace for fun.

P.S. Noted that Battuta already made mention of FSOInstaller problem.

Re: BP Community Multiplayer Project (Install directions here)

FSOInstaller is nowhere near as powerful as SVN for this purpose, and would not do nearly as well. In fact, FSOInstaller is being upgraded because it's not good enough.

And you'd have just downloaded 40 odd files in a single package anyway - did you somehow have to download each of them individually? Normally you just have to press the 'checkout' or 'update' button and it takes care of it on its own. Did you somehow have to give individual commands for each file?

turey said he modded his installer a hella long time ago allowing it download UPDATES on anything you UPDATE... via version number..

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
To which not only would we have to still update to our svn, but someone would have to repack everything for the installer after every commit. Plus, not everyone uses the installer, and unlike SVN the installer has no place outside FSO. Not to mention the reasons svn is superior for what we need listed above.

In terms of downloads:

MVPs download:     gotten from installer, or by hand (should already have anyway)
BP1/2 download:    gotten from installer, or by hand (should already have anyway)
missions vps:          by hand
1.20 patch:             by hand
the installer:           by hand
SVN:                       by hand
bpmulti files:          gotten from installer, or by SVN

Not all that much is gained from bpmulti being on the installer instead of, or in addition to, SVN while we lose functionality by using the installer and makes work far more difficult for us to keep the updates on both sides of the line. Not to mention switching to just the installer now would hurt those already updating BPmulti via the SVN.

On top of this, if we screw up something with svn, we can just rollback to a good version where nothing is borked, i do not think the installer has such an option.

tl;dr?     short version: not only is nothing gained, but functionality is actually lost by using the installer
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Did you get the SVN to work [DW]-Hunter? Once you download tortiseSVN, it should be pretty straightforward.

From the original post:

1. Create a folder in your FreeSpace 2 directory called blueplanet2_multi
2. Right click on it and hit 'SVN Checkout'
3. Enter the following address in the 'URL of repository' field: https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/blueplanet2_multi/

These 3 steps should get you the blueplanet multi files, it is all taken care of in your windows file manager.

1. Downloading tortoise SVN gives you the ability to assign folders to host sites. There should be a new option when you right click folders called 'SVN checkout'

3. After assigning the folder to a host site by entering the host site's URL, you should see a red mark near the folder indicating the folder has not been updated. You right click on the folder itself (blueplanet2_multi) to update it. Tortoise SVN will then automatically upload ALL the files which belong to that folder and indicate you are updated by showing a green checkmark on the folder. So, it really is a one click download as you would like, as well as a one click update.

Once your folder is updated, use it as you would use any other mod folder with the FSO launcher. Be sure to update every time before use.

I'm curious if you have gotten the SVN to work for you, of if not, I would like to find out where the confusing part of the install instructions might be. Again, I agree the system is not ideal, but I also feel it is a comfortable compromise between development and distributability.   
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

turey said he modded his installer a hella long time ago allowing it download UPDATES on anything you UPDATE... via version number..

This capability is inadequate compared to what SVN can do.

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
version control
atomic changes
bleeding edges updates
used for dev at same time
installs a soft that you're going to need for other mods anyway

whats the problem? i dont get it.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Install directions updated for new BPmulti SVN host.

If you have BPmulti already, delete or rename the current folder, then follow the install directions.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Does anyone have any suggestions for an SVN to use with Linux? I prefer to use Ubuntu as my main OS, partially because FS runs MUCH faster on it. I'd like to find an SVN for use with BP Multi, and possibly for the SCP as well. Any ideas?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras