Author Topic: 20041230 test build  (Read 30645 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 01:27:04 am by 86 »
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea I get some of the guages go missing too, but the ships and everything else in nebula missions look awesome now. :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:sigh: Taylor, is/was NEW_HUD defined in your version of hudparse.h?
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
:sigh: Taylor, is/was NEW_HUD defined in your version of hudparse.h?

I didn't define it, just what's in CVS.

*Looks* Yep it's defined.  That's the way it in in CVS too by the way.  It was uncommented in your last update to huparse.h.  I see why the energy gauges are not working at least, hudparse.cpp line 69: "#ifdef NUDE_HUD".  Ya know there is a point when the word "ironic" just doesn't cover it. ;)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by DrunkenPirate
Yea I get some of the guages go missing too, but the ships and everything else in nebula missions look awesome now. :)

the lack of guages irks me, but it doesn't spoil the awesomeness of it, i'm happy with just this minor snafu.. :nod:

just to note, the screenie was meant to show off the neat nebulas. :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 02:13:13 am by 86 »
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
That's on purpose, my way of commenting out code already using block comments. :p If you un'comment' them, you'll probably get a host of compiler errors

Anywho, that's the problem. It should be fixable by just commenting out/removing the flag from hudparse.h.
-C

Originally posted by taylor

What's your video card and driver version?

This has been reported before but I'm not sure why it's happening.  The code does tell it to reset on exit so it should return to normal.  You can use the -no_set_gamma cmdline option and it will avoid setting the gamma completely.  Not the best solution but maybe it will hold you over until a proper fix is made.

Geforce Ti200, 66.93 Detonators.

Incidentally, resets properly on exit in vanilla 3.6.5.  Crashes if I try to play any missions in OGL in 3.6.5, but it resets properly, heh.

Also, if I load up 3.6.5 after this build, run in OGL, it returns it to normal on exit.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 04:39:09 am by 2338 »

Offline mitac

Newest build works flawless and looks good. :)
marcet sine adversario virtus.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Turnsky

That just convinces me to replay desperation all over again :drevil: :D
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by phatosealpha
Incidentally, resets properly on exit in vanilla 3.6.5.  Crashes if I try to play any missions in OGL in 3.6.5, but it resets properly, heh.

Strange, there haven't been any changes to that code since 3.6.5.  Something else must be going on.  I'll look at this a bit more carefully on my test systems and try to figure out the problem.

@WMCoolmon: One stupid error on my part seemed to be the reason -loadonlyused still crashed in some cases.  With my commit yesterday it's worked perfectly for me with every mission I can get my hands on.  If you don't mind verifying this yourself to make sure, I'll close the bug.

OK.  maybe it's actually going into the missions that is causing it to not reset properly, because I can't do that at all in 3.6.5.

Incidentally, the HUD also seems darker in OGL then in D3D.  I dunno if it's supposed to be like that though.

Anyway, don't mean to sound like just a complainer.  The new lighting system looks better then the old one, and OGL seems to yield higher framerates then D3D too.  Pity bout the env mapping, but very cool nonetheless.  Once env mapping gets done, seems like I'm gonna have to switch to OGL.

Edit:  Next time, I'll read the whole thread before opening my mouth.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 07:12:08 am by 2338 »

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
I've been playing through the FSPort. The lighting is definately better. No notable frame rate losses as of yet. The only losses that do occur is when it loads a new texture, but even then its just the first time, after which it goes smoothly :D

This is what made me look up and notice it the most :D

"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead

Just OGL I think.  It's the faster light model but not very realistic.  I think it looks kinda neat but prefer the realistic way instead.

I think D3D uses the faster light model. Can someone verify this (and in that case, offer the realistic one as a command line alternative both for OGL and D3D?).
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Alright I've updated the build at the same link in the first post.  It mainly just fixes the HUD problem so if you don't care about that don't bother downloading again.  It also contains a fix for the gamma not getting reset and the HUD and fonts being slightly darker than they're supposed to be.  My fault phatosealpha, sorry about that.  And I had never even noticed that the HUD was darker.

Also included is a debug build which makes the download bigger (4meg) so have that in mind if you are on a slow connection.  I probably won't release a new build (or update this one) for at least a month.  In the next build though it will have the ability to disable vsync in OpenGL and if possible I'll get envmapping fixed too.  Undoubtedly some other new things will be included as well but that's what I know for sure.

Works perfectly now.  Killer.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper

What's your video card and driver version?

This has been reported before but I'm not sure why it's happening.  The code does tell it to reset on exit so it should return to normal.  You can use the -no_set_gamma cmdline option and it will avoid setting the gamma completely.  Not the best solution but maybe it will hold you over until a proper fix is made.

I reported that glitch.  The only workaround I found (haven't tested the build you posted in the OP yet) was to move the slider in the opposite direction of where its supposed to go and then go to 1.0.  Would've posted this earlier, but I've been busy.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
About FSport, i have one mission where I don't have the Avenger weapons instead of that i've got a twin ML-16.
So impossible to finish the mission.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Ok, I've found a rather large bug in this build.  If you play a mission that requires alot of IBX caching, it will crash.  With the way my HDD access skyrocketted, it seemed like a memory leak.  It crashes on the openglnt library everytime.

C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_T-20050103.exe -spec -glow -pcx32 -d3dmipmap -d3d_no_vsync -nobeampierce -orbradar -tbpwarpeffects -fps  -mod RR

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ running at stock freq
Leadtek K7NCR18-D Pro running the latest nvidia mobo drivers (5.10)
PNY Geforce 4 Ti4600 128MB AGP 8x with fast writing enabled. (running latest dets, 66.93)
WinXP Pro SP2

I'm using OpenGL (obviously).

The reason why I think it has to do with ibx caching is because once I relaunch FS2_Open, I can load the mission like normal.

Theres also a bug where sometimes the loading screen will stay onscreen after the mission loads and gameplay is active.  HOWEVER, if I alt-tab out and back in the screen is updated and I can play without any ill effects.  This happens completely at random and have yet to narrow down a possible cause.

All VPs are 3.6.5, with the exception of RR.vp which is the "Renegade
Ressurgence" mod, which is available here. (Which is a really good campaign, I really recommend checking it out.)

Here's what showed up in Event Viewer:

Faulting application fs2_open_t-20050103.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module nvoglnt.dll, version 6.14.10.6693, fault address 0x00076781.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 11:47:00 pm by 215 »
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I just finished testing out this new light model thing, and I must say that it realy looks cool.  It also seems to help out in spotting large ships in nebulae.  It's almost as good as having the shadowing that Bob was playing with a while back.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Vertigo1
Ok, I've found a rather large bug in this build.  If you play a mission that requires alot of IBX caching, it will crash.  With the way my HDD access skyrocketted, it seemed like a memory leak.  It crashes on the openglnt library everytime.

Is this happening on a particular mission or all of them?  Where it's crashing is way past where the IBX code comes into play.  By the time you're past the third bar on the loading screen the IBX has done it's job and doesn't do anything else.

I've just tried mission one so far but the memory usage is very high. at least 191meg in textures alone.  That's with the current MediaVPs and Lightspeed's textures.  With that info I'd say that the thrashing is just memory issues.  I am curious about the crashing though since it really should give an error message of some kind.  There appears that there may be an issue with the VP as well.  There are two m01_RR.fs2 files in the same directory and at least m02_rr.fs2 has a few corrupted "$AI Class:" entries causing parsing errors.  The parsing problem alone could lead to all sorts of random things happening.  I don't know if you are seeing this particular problem or something else though.  I'll play through more missions and see what I can find.

Originally posted by MetalDestroyer
About FSport, i have one mission where I don't have the Avenger weapons instead of that i've got a twin ML-16.

And the Avenger is not in the weaponselect screen?  Let me know which mission that was and I'll take a look.  I have to say though that this sounds sort of like a corrupted pilot file which either got converted that way or was used with another build before 3.6.5 that had pilot issues.