Author Topic: Kals "Why Battlefield Is Dying" Review/Rant.  (Read 9744 times)

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Re: Kals "Why Battlefield Is Dying" Review/Rant.
I'm a huge Battlefield 2 fan, and I'm nothing but psyched about Battlefield 2142.

The end.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Good rant there Kal. I agree allmost whole heartily, and being an old BF player from the good ol' days of BF1942 MP Demo :D I feel truly saddened by the fact that these elements you have mentioned (cash-ins, bunnyhopping -and the bloody bad "fix" for it- etc.) have been put into the BF franchise.

I still enjoy playing BF2 enourmosly (allthough time to times I wonder why :P ), but mainly the core. EF and AF are good add ons IMHO, nice maps and AF expecially is fun time to times when I wan't to enjoy a good armored warfare, if you can find a server for it. SF on the other hand.... I quite regret buying it now, end of story.

I still have a 50-60 feeling towards BF2142. Sure everything in it screams MOD, not a new game at all, but it doesn't bother me THAT much  when I roam around with the walker or lauch myself sky high with the launchpod or slide around with Nekomata. I try to enjoy these small elements in it which are done quite nicely. If some miracle happens and the prize will be about same as it was with the SF then I might consider buying it. Otherwise, forget it.
Habeeb it...

Offline redmenace

I'm a huge Battlefield 2 fan, and I'm nothing but psyched about Battlefield 2142.

The end.
Which reminds me, you missed some great Karkand rounds yesterday! :p
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Having spent some time on the BF2142 forums over at PBF I fear I've become something of a troll myself. I seem to spend all my time there arguing on the "BF2142 sucks goats, here's why:" side of things and don't have much of a positive note to say.

That said, I'm not alone.

This is interesting as there seems to be a hell of a lot of people with complaints / disappointments about the game. Only a handful are really defending the game and even a few of them are being open minded enough to say "yes, we can see how this would be annoying - but overall like the game anyway".

Looks like BF2142 really is a bit of a stinker in most peoples books.

Which reminds me, you missed some great Karkand rounds yesterday! :p
What server do you play on mate?

Offline redmenace

Their are a list of servers here: www.codebluebf.com

Also type codebluebf.com into the filter field and you will see their servers. In the evenings it is active.

TS: cbbf2.com:8812
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
The codebluebf server that's in my favorites list is almost never full when I check it.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline redmenace

Evenings is the best times. Some times it takes a while to get it started up.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Even though they are almost 10 years old, I still enjoy playing Sin and Quake 2.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Well, I just saw some pre order ads here for the 2142 and looks like the prize is indeed like a full game prize, about 45euros. That's prettymuch it then. Oh and also including the adware program to the package breaks the camel's neck. This one shall be left to the shelves if I'm concerned.

Oh and for the other BF2 players here (other than Kal who allready knows it) if you spot a player named "Hakka Gortef" (Hakka being just a prefix) in any BF2 server then give a holla, that's me. There aren't any precise servers in which I resident, I pick them randomly depending on the ping and available slots.
Habeeb it...

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
I gave up on the battlefield series when I realized they hadn't bothered to find out what kind of weapons the Japanese used.

Ha! I remember that. You'd think they could do a little research, but no...

I really think the whole Battlefield genre has stagnated. They need some new and creative ideas. What about World War I or the Korean War?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I was thinking of something like Battlefield 1812 or Battlefield 1787... place it in the War of 1812 or American Revolution!! There's possibility to have accurate battles at many places...

They'll need to fix the engine a bit, however. Allow for more primary rifles, shorten range, ETC. I think cannonading would be cool... or breaking out of a fortress under heavy bombardment...

Basically any war would be good to be set in... I'd like one in feudal Japan... 13th century France... French and Post-French revolutions...
They should expand it to basically all known wars in major countries.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I really think the whole Battlefield genre has stagnated. They need some new and creative ideas. What about World War I or the Korean War?
Oh no, I wouldn't think the genre is stagnant... they're just not expanding their scope enough.

Rather than pick a modern day conflict they decided to remake Tribes 2. That's great and all but it's not what a lot of people are looking for. Personally I'd be happy if they revisited World War 2 again but really got ambitious. A new graphics engine featuring full weather, day and night cycles, fog and mist etc. - fighting across the entire WW2 stage including hypothetical situations such as a D-Day landing type mission based on a Nazi invasion of the UK etc. Inclusion of hundreds of different units and a whole range of class skills and abilities with customisable options (you could choose to be a sniper/spec ops type with a couple of explosive charges, a sniper rifle but virtually no protection etc.). Basically taking the WW2 arena and really going for it rather than limiting themselves in any way.

No pussy "random cone of fire" either. A full working physics system applying to everything universally. Units can get stuck in mud and troopers couldn't run as fast... water has the same effect. Bullets fire accurately to their weapons and do appropriate damage. Smoke grenades, air strikes from air support etc. could be called in...

Basically... really ambitious, but it'd be legendary.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
*Snip*
Yes, but that would be expensive, and there is no assurance it will be received well. As such, nobody'll go anywhere near it. Nice, but incredibly fanciful.

I was thinking of something like Battlefield 1812 or Battlefield 1787... place it in the War of 1812 or American Revolution!! There's possibility to have accurate battles at many places...

Basically any war would be good to be set in... I'd like one in feudal Japan... 13th century France... French and Post-French revolutions...
They should expand it to basically all known wars in major countries.
Other wars just aren't as interesting, or simply a bad idea for development into a game. Feudal Japan would be nice, but it's too damn obscure for it to be anything more than a niche game, the same applying to the Korean War. French war-games probably wouldn't sell all that well what with the moronic public view regarding that particular nation, and the American Revolution is nice in mods, but with a very restricted pantheon of weaponry, it would get stale rather quickly. And World War 1... well, anyone who knows anything about that war knows it's just not a war you make a big-titled game about, for numerous reasons.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 07:52:24 am by Mefustae »

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Sadly you're right. It's ambitious because it's what I'd want but whether it'd be commercially viable is another question.

That said if you really aimed for the sky - as it were - and created a landmark game, I think the profits would be there. The sort of game I have in mind is something epic... both fun but massive in scope with something for every FPS player out there.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Squadwar meets C&C plus a little Counterstrike = Battlefield 1942.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Oh, there's no question that it'd be well received, and i'm sure that if someone made a game half as good as the one you've described, it'd rake in cash like nothing else. But to make it would be an unnecessary gamble when you can make a reasonably cheap game that's nowhere near as ambitious, but will sell to a respectable degree.

As long as we're talking about games we'd really like to see; i've always wanted the ultimate RTS: Basically, we're talking a completely real-time multiplayer game that starts out in ancient times, expands, expands and expands as technology develops, transitioning to a global stage when you get the technology. You can build cities, armies and navies in incredible detail and customisation, with a completely fluid and massive tech-tree. You can zoom from several kilometres in the atmo right down to a few metres of the ground, and have realistic physics and scales. Think of launching a strike on an enemy held Hawaiian islands with your entire WW2-style Navy of custom-chosen design aesthetics and weaponry, all the while capable of seeing each and every gun firing, from flak to 240mm cannons.

Once you reach a certain stage, you can start building spacecraft [fully customisable to the nth degree], and eventually leave the Earth and colonise the solar-system, and then intra-solarsystem throughout local systems, and then the galaxy. Of course, the scale would itself be scalable, making the most detailed view larger and larger as technology and the size of your territory increase. Think Spore crossed with Civilisation and Supreme Commander, with a dash of Sword of the Stars.

Show me that game, and there would be no limits to how far i'd go to show my thanks. :nervous:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:03:34 am by Mefustae »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Speaking of games that we've always really wanted - I've always wanted a starship commander game where you have the freedom to define your own techniques, to shout out orders and use complex strategizing to win. Not just "Turn and fire" or in Bridge Commander, "Shoot him you stupid AI! Shoot HIM!"

Hell, I want an RTS that doesn't have simple unit grinding. I want something epic, where you can use fleet carriers in massive multi ship fleets, use flanking maneuvers, and have a game that basically REQUIRES strategy, not just "resource/build/resource/build". Something like Homeworld crossed with Dawn of War crossed with a fleet tactical simulator crossed with Ground Control.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:36:17 am by Unknown Target »

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Bridge Commander, "Shoot him you stupid AI! Shoot HIM!"

You could take over control over the ship, that's what I always did. It was much more fun that way.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I simply don't see the fun in a game that has iron-sights less accurate than the crosshairs.  Yes, it's fun sometimes and I enjoyed it when I first tried it, but ultimately I find it.....dull.

Wait, what? Iron sights are less accurate than crosshairs.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
UPDATE: I just got it yesterday, and I can safely say that it should be illegal for a game to be this awesome because my head is going to explode.