Author Topic: Alien Swarm free on Monday  (Read 20032 times)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Re: Alien Swarm free on Monday
Jaeger + Vindicator + Laser tripmines + grenade launcher = everything everywhere is dead

Also, the only thing difficult about residential on Insane is the fact that no one plans out their route and sticks together. Either people get too far apart and die on their own, or they stick together and decide to just sit around in one spot trying to figure out where to go.

I'm personally fond of the Tesla rifle, mainly because if I don't swap out for the medigun correctly it doesn't matter. (I've mucked about with the PDWs too but ammo runs dry too quickly.)

I've yet to play a Residential on any level where somebody didn't manage to pick up a parasite in the ducts. Usually it goes in a semi-counter-clockwise manner.

I've done that, 2 player too, on Normal. It was bad arse, we aced that mission. Only downer was swapping out my flamethrower for fire extinguishers and back again whenever we had to clear a route (2 Players means 1 has to be a medic, 1 has to be a tech, and the tech needs to carry Ammo. I was the tech)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
you can extinguish fires with the flamethrower. just press the middle mouse button (aka the scroll wheel), thats how you do alternative fire on many things
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline mxlm

So one complaint I had about the game was that there was nothing like L4D's tank. Turns out I was wrong. Oh, man. Modders, work faster. FASTAR!
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
There were a lot of bugs that weren't used.

Here

Also, I want that music - Path of Borealis remixes ftw.

Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
We've held a session for our LP yesterday night, trying to clinch the Insane difficulty. If we didn't try M2 at least thirty times, then none at all. :D

My recommendation is the Spec Ops (Wolfe) autogun + marksman rifle + freeze grenades.
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
The thing I don't like about anything that freezes is that someone always seems to be carrying the flamethrower, and that always negates the freeze.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Notes on Dev Console Commands

First Person Perspective:
-You shoot just underneath the center of the screen.
-It is impossible to hack without reverting to the original controls.
-Looking up == Major slowdown.
-It turns out that sniper rifles do have a maximum range.
-Freaking Cool.

Director Mode:
-Do not attempt on hard+ difficulty in singleplayer mode.
-Seriously.
-I'm not joking.
-I mean, if Landing Bay was like that, imagine Timbor Station!

Fast Load Under Character:
-Kind of small.
-Might be better than looking away.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
So a day ago I beat the campaign with 3 other people on normal or hard as the heavy weapons guy with a full loadout of stock turrets plus the tesla coil. Twas fun :D.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So a day ago I beat the campaign with 3 other people on normal or hard as the heavy weapons guy with a full loadout of stock turrets plus the tesla coil. Twas fun :D.

Hey, tell them about the time we tried insane on the bridge and we all loldie'd, two of us to friendly fire. That was awesome. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I beat the campaign on insane, so I decided to play on easy just for the lulz. I took medic with a medigun, healing beacons, and adrenaline. No one ever died.

I also had the most kills each mission.

EDIT: Speaking of which, we should all try and go for a melee only playthrough.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:07:53 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Hades

Yeah, that and/or an insane play through. I'll bring my turrets
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
you can extinguish fires with the flamethrower. just press the middle mouse button (aka the scroll wheel), thats how you do alternative fire on many things

Yeah, I knew how to Alt fire, I just assumed the flamethrower wouldn't have any, until I actually unlocked it and read it's description. Cue facepalm.

Edit:

Oh, Hades full loadout of turrets was with some friends of mine and myself, it was bloody hilarious. When he says 'beat it', he and our medic died in the last three levels before the end of them :P (Leaving myself as the Tech and our officer to carry on)

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Hades

I've yet to play a Residential on any level where somebody didn't manage to pick up a parasite in the ducts. Usually it goes in a semi-counter-clockwise manner.
Yesterday on normal or hard on that level, my two team members died about 1/3 of the way and I beat it on my own without getting infected in the vents :D
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
New update, and I feel the need to point one of the fixes out:

Updates to Alien Swarm have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

The Vindicator’s grenade explosion effect should no longer crash users running a GTX260 graphics card.
Fixed a bug where marines would continue to be buffed by the Damage Amp if they were standing in it when it expired.
Fixed ammo usage on the Tesla Cannon to properly decrease 4 times a second instead of 2 (doubled clip size to account for this).
Rebalanced Tesla Cannon’s damage to encourage it to be used more as a support weapon.
Tesla Cannon will now use ammo slowly even when it isn’t damaging something.
Fixed Unicode text chat

How in the Hell did they miss that one?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Rebalanced Tesla Cannon’s damage to encourage it to be used more as a support weapon.

Whew, good thing I already finished my insane playthrough.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I just got out of a game where the Medic leeroy'd every time we started a level.

Delma Bridge's patented Anti-Leeroy Jenkins bushwhacking ate him alive. Without the medic, the rest of us were soon gribbly bits. Goddammit man, you're L20, act like it!

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd attempt trying this out with a few of you guys if it didn't mean having to do the work to get it.  We still have to organize some TF2 rounds, though. :p

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Playing the game with only one player (not bots) is quite challenging: on easy.  I can't get past the hacking section on the bridge. :/

Oh, and shieldbugs are really easy to take down if you stun them (either through electricity or freezing), and then take the chainsaw to their backs.  It's practically a one-hit kill on a no-lag game.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd attempt trying this out with a few of you guys if it didn't mean having to do the work to get it.  We still have to organize some TF2 rounds, though. :p

What work?

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

Pressing the install button is hard.

Anyway, when are you studs usually playing?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:24:13 pm by mxlm »
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.