Author Topic: Has anyone tried running FS2 on a large TV?  (Read 3727 times)

Has anyone tried running FS2 on a large TV?
Contemplating building a small/cheap PC to run a few older nostalgic games/emulators on my TV. The one game that I have really been wanting to replay is FS2 with all the aesthetic mods installed. Has anyone ran this game on a larger (60") TV? If so, how did it look? I'm worried about the aspect ratio and graphics not translating that well on larger modern TV screen given the age of the game. Any experience would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Has anyone tried running FS2 on a large TV?
I have played on a 55 inch tv screen a couple of times. It's totally fine :pimp:

Aspect ratio is fixed in SCP (native widescreen support) and HUD is adjustable. All resolutions are also supported.

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
I can confirm it looks very good on a 60" TV (1920x1080), details are amazing  :v:  :yes:
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I did it in 2006 using s-video to scart.   Probabubbly no longer relevant.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I play everything that way:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97004.0

These TVs are the best gaming monitors now, especially for dark games like FS2. The 16:9 aspect ratio works fine with FSO.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Just keep in mind that in higher resolutions (4k) the HUD might become really small compared to the rest of the screen. But if you don't have a 4k TV or feel fine with using a lower resolution, that shouldn't be an issue. You'd need to try it out first.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I gave it a go a while back playing on my 65" lounge TV at 1080p (the tv is 4k native). I found the limiting factor was not the display but the control method. Using a flight-stick on the couch is a bit awkward. I got it working pretty well with the Steam Controller. By adding Knossos as a 'non-steam game' you can set up profiles to launch when it runs. I think you'll be able to do this for a normal xbox controller too. I used the back button as a mode/layer shift. I had a mouse mode for the menus, and two modes in game in order to get enough bindings (you could probably use button combos to avoid needing an extra layer here tho) It was a bloody mission to set up, but it worked well when done.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have the mouse/KB on a small table on wheels, which can be used from either an office chair or recliner. I actually prefer it close up for FS2, so the TV fills up your field of view.