Author Topic: Aardwolf Presents "Everything in One Thread"  (Read 11263 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Re: Aardwolf Presents "Everything in One Thread"
:bump:

That silly XNA game with the particle smoke is on hold for now. I'm working on a new project instead.

NRel (Newtonian Relativity)

Click the links to view full-size. And no, as far as a game, it doesn't do much yet.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
what on earth XD

Anyways, I have no idea what that ship is, but it looks like a Capellan supernova survivor :lol: :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Because of the textures? Sort of random looking, I suppose...

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Yeah the textures. The first thing I thought of when I saw the ship was that "burned-out" look (or even that destroyed look from the X series).

I see some engine pods at the back?

Can't say much besides that but that's fine I guess :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'd love to see the 2D Freespace game completed.

That ship needs better textures, because as of now it looks like a slab of burned-out metal.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Update, now the turrets actually do something!

Edit: Another screenshot, while the next video is uploading:

Edit II: The video is done uploading:

Edit III: Work on lighting, and also you can see I've been messing with the uv/textures on that ship. Also, I added two controls (for my benefit in making pics/vids), one is to switch which ship I'm viewing, and the other is to switch which one is able to fire.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:46:03 am by Aardwolf »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I've been doing a bit more work on this. One of the biggest changes is some optimization I've done on the collision detection. Since lighting is still a slow spot, though, the screenshot with the 300+ shots has muzzle flash and explosion lighting disabled.

I'm going to do a bit more experimenting to see how much of the slowdown (from 60 to 12 fps) is from drawing the shots, as opposed to the shot physics. I reckon a big part of it is.

Edit: looks like it can keep up 15-20 fps with around 450 shots, but only if i don't draw them (or the muzzle flashes, or the explosions).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:23:07 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Yeah, rendering THAT MANY dynamic lights can be a huge performance hit.  Some way to combine or limit them would be helpful for you.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
How about trippling the damage done by any shot, drawing each "shot" as a set of three shots, and combining the dynamic light. Then you'd only have one light for every three shots fired.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Out of curiosity, how does the FS engine handle this? It obviously isn't using real dynamic lights for every sun, laser, missile, and beam... but whatever it does results in a pretty decent simulation with little to no framerate cost.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well what Kalfireth said is actually sort of similar to what FreeSpace does, at least as far as the lighting is concerned. Shots fired together (I think it requires that they have the same velocity) get a single light. It picks the (max 8) lights closest to the ship when applying the lighting.

I think.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Youtube video of one of my older games, for no apparent reason. Even though it's Java, the OpenGL bindings (JOGL) aren't as cross-platform as I'd hope.

Edit: Game Downloads:

Version for 32-bit Windows
Version for 64-bit Windows.

They require Java, run the .jar file to play them.

Be warned, it's challenging. As Galemp put it:
Quote from: Galemp
you can call me sir-die-a-lot
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:19:02 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

I finally figured out how to make an applet version of some of my older Java games.

CLICKY

Controls include: Arrow keys, Ctrl, S, and J

Edit: The sprites for the player fighters, the teal fighters, and the orange-red-magenta fighters were done by Turambar.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:30:04 am by Aardwolf »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
That one's not bad :D  ...though the gameplay has a few minor issues...

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I honestly can't figure out what that radar is trying to tell me.  I did better by ignoring it. :/

Nifty, though.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I honestly can't figure out what that radar is trying to tell me.  I did better by ignoring it. :/

Nifty, though.

The thing you must know is that you are on the surface of a sphere...

EDIT: Aardwolf is a spelling nazi
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:42:31 am by blowfish »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I honestly can't figure out what that radar is trying to tell me.

As blowfish pointed out, the region you fly in, like the radar, is on a sphere.

Single-pixel dots on the radar are on the far side, and X-shapes are on the near side.

Blue represents jump gates. Or wormholes. Or whatever they are.

Shades between green and red are ships with varying degrees of damage. The original reasoning behind having it like this (instead of based on what team the ships are on) was because this way it forces you to get a visual on them before firing. Nonetheless, the AI is simple enough that if you know what team at least one of them is on (preferably a friendly one) you can track how they move relative to one another and figure out what teams they're on.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Working on a multiplayer game for my "Network Transmission and Data Compression" class. Basically I added multiplayer to an existing space combat thing I made. Screenshots in a moment...

Edit: technical difficulties... apparently the printscreen key does not generate a keypress event, and even if I try using another key, the output I end up with is buggy:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Aardwolf001/Quick%20Illustrations/thescreenshotiswrongwtf.png

:(

The game itself looks much better, but I was hoping I could get a setup similar to FS2's, where I can press the printscreen key in-game and have it generate a file (instead of having to paste it into an image editor in order to not have it be replaced by the next screenshot I take)

Edit, again: Yay, fixed. It was something stupid... I don't know why this didn't cause errors before, though... real screenshots in a moment ;)

Edit, hopefully the last? Finally got some screenshots. It's just me playing against some bots on the loopback interface, but whatever.

Yes, I borrowed nebulae and explosion animations from FS.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:32:25 pm by Aardwolf »