Author Topic: Looking for a Modern air combat flight sim (Helicopter or jet)  (Read 7922 times)

Looking for a Modern air combat flight sim (Helicopter or jet)
Anything would do (except Flight Simulator, because I already got that one :P). I am bassicly for a good helicopter sim, preferably one which features blowing up stuff.

Any recommendations?

EDIT: Now... I'd like to fly jet planes too (WW2 is okay, but I want some variation), any recommendations? (Except HAWX, which isn't a sim).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:16:53 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Looking for a Helicopter (Combat) sim.
Black Shark or Lock-On Modern Air Combat: Flaming Cliffs 2 (which amalgamates LOMAC, Flaming Cliffs 1 and Black Hawk into one game).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Dude, everyone knows Hind is the only Helo sim. ;)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Gunship 2000, baby!

Crap, I think I just dated myself. :p

I hear that Jane's Longbow 2 is pretty good as well.

Offline mxlm

People say good things about the two Enemy Engaged titles.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i was gonna buy dcs blackshark then i found out it had some crappy drm (it uses starforce) that only lets you activate the game 3 times before it locks it down. its so bad i wouldnt install it on my computer if you gave me a free copy. then i thought about pirating it, but the installation procedure was so complex that i said **** it. ive always wanted a realistic, modern, combat chopper sim. its such a shame to finally get one, then have it raped my drm. ****ing games industry.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
battlefield twoooooooooooooooo

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Battuta, that's not a realistic simulation...

:p

However, if you're going for a mixture of realism and simplified physics, ARMA 2 isn't bad. Although the little things demonstrated that it wasn't going to take the cake for accuracy (as well as being inherently simplified for integration into what ARMA truly is - an infantry simulation), the overall feel of flight is very lively, which makes it highly enjoyable. That said, it's worth a look - you can get the demo on ARMA's website.

As far as realistic flight without the combat, you might consider X-Plane, which is constantly improving. You might hold off on buying it though, as X-Plane 10 should be coming along in the near future. And then you might want to wait until the price comes down/the bugs are sorted out. Whatever you do, X-Plane is a great investment... And should you want to fly a chopper that you can't get or doesn't exist, you can always make your own:cool:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Battuta, that's not a realistic simulation...

What are you talking about? It's the only sim I know of where you can do a backflip, jump out, fall, and then catch the helicopter on the way down and get back into the cockpit.

I seriously doubt the realism of any sim that doesn't let you do that.  :blah:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i could attatch some bottle rockets to my chinese made r/c helicopter.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Re: Looking for a Modern air combat flight sim (Helicopter or jet)
Lock on looks nice enough, especially since it has jets too.

Anything else on that department?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Strike Fighters?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
lock-on is a good one.  though to be honest, i've heard bad things about flaming cliffs 2.  if you're not going to play multiplayer regularly, i'd stick with the original lock-on.  good game, but Eagle Dynamics doesn't have the first clue how to properly handle releases.
I like to stare at the sun.

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline newman

ARMA2 isn't a sim, though, and if you're looking for a pure helicopter or fighter jet sim it's not going to satisfy. It's more of a FPS with the ability to fly but don't expect too much realism there. The way flight control is handled leaves a lot to be desired too.
The game itself is fun, though, it's just not really a flight sim in any serious sense of the word. Also, the single player campaign was extremely buggy back when I tried the game - to the point of being unplayable. Not sure if they fixed that by now.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
battlefield twoooooooooooooooo
gtfo bf n00b :P

Right. So. Jet Sims.

Lock On: Modern Air Combat.
Falcon 4.0: Allied Force.

Are two of the better ones I've played (as have the other posters). I haven't played Flaming Cliffs so I can't say much about that. Warning with the two of them though, if you haven't had much to do with this genre, they might require some serious effort from you. One of our F/A18E pilots once said "Anyone can fly a Hornet, but not everyone can operate one." Games like LOMAC and F4 model the systems of their aircraft to a reasonable degree, so you'll be able to witness the truth of that pilot's statement with regards to modern military aircraft. Of the two of them, F4 is the one I found to be harder, but as with all things it'll be easier to those who have a genuine interest in it. And of course, the more you play the better you'll get.

It's been years and years since I've played X-Plane (ran like a ***** on my ol' Windows 98), so I don't know how good that's turned out.

Free Falcon is great : www.freefalcon.com

i was gonna buy dcs blackshark then i found out it had some crappy drm (it uses starforce) that only lets you activate the game 3 times before it locks it down. its so bad i wouldnt install it on my computer if you gave me a free copy. then i thought about pirating it, but the installation procedure was so complex that i said **** it. ive always wanted a realistic, modern, combat chopper sim. its such a shame to finally get one, then have it raped my drm. ****ing games industry.

Guess what.

Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 1 has Starforce. It will only run on Xp or lower as a consequence.
* -Joshua- growls.

Oh well, let's just uninstall that one, LOMAC and then crack it.

Did some digging on Falcon. Apperently, you will need the original 4.0 to install stuff like Free Falcon or Open Falcon, and then there is the  'official' Allied Force version of Falcon 4.0. And they are all incompatible with each other. hmm..

Anyone with experience on this? What do you recommend?