Author Topic: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on here.  (Read 14928 times)

Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on here.
Karajorma recommended that I create a thread so that the mod team can keep an eye on my progress. It is my hope that I will recieve feedback enough for me to put my skills over the edge, and join up with the modding team. With that, here's something I've been playing with.

If anyone else has some model work they have been doing, feel free to post in here as well.

Just fartin' around with Coxxon's Viper.

EDIT: Sorry, Better render now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:44:40 am by Furyofaseraph »

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on he
shiiiiiiiiiit

that's nice

BtRL runs epically slow on my pc for some reason so I haven't been able to properly play it, but the model is looking pretty good

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Re: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on here.
Getting better. I'd suggest less scratches on the texture, they dont work that well on a space fighter. Maybe more grime and small impact marks from space debris and such.

Also, minor amount of backdrop radiosity to lighten up the dark areas would be nice.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on here.
I really should point out that this stuff isn't for the game. Furyofaseraph is at the level where he's almost good enough to join but not quite. So I suggested that he work publicly on his texturing so that the modellers on the team (and anyone else passing by) can help him improve to the point where he is ready to join up.

I like the shot you posted on SFM too. Keep working at it. This stuff is already better than the ones you posted on the recruitment thread. :yes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Scratches actually work fine on a space fighter, in fact if you check out show's viper renders you'll see quite a lot of them. But they're always strategically placed - like I said before, try to think of logical places where they would occur. I do agree that they can't be dominant over other types of damage.
Also take care that you orient them properly, and play with color and density till it looks right. You might also expect to see some paint chipping along the surface edges, and dirt and grime all over the place, with black exhaust marks near the engines, service ports, guns..
Basically it boils down to this - you have the raw skill, but your texturing principle is too random; when you're adding weathering to your texture try to think of the process that lead to that weathering to occur - for instance, if the fighter was flying straight and got hit by a micrometeorite how would the damage be shaped and oriented etc. Having scratches at an angle of 90 degrees to ship's default flight path doesn't look too good, for example.
You might also expect the painted on stripes and text to have faded in some areas, or see parts of it scratched off (btw purple looks horrible imo - viper for pimps? :D)
In short, think of what happens to it as it flies and try to add damage and weathering in some sort of logical pattern.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I edited the first post to clarify why I'm posting, lol. Sorry about that.

Here's the shot that Kara is talking about

I will add some "meteor" hits across the fusalage and wings (high surface area places). And I'll rethink where to put the scratches :-) Give me about half an hour.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Looking more good.

I've always understood the origin of these painting effects as follows:

1.- Scratches, minor and/or medium impacts: Caused by wreckage generated during a combat. And, if you want, some little extra percentage of it caused by several environmental conditions.. By the way.. hope you dev guys do not include Cylon blood splashes.. that would look too gore; IMHO.

2.- Enemy (and friendly =) ) hits,  which mean hits and/or impacts and/or even holes with their several burned areas.

3.- Residual effects caused by the engines and/or environment: Dirty edges and/or areas around and over the engines wings, as well as maintenance requirements over other fuselage areas; as for example, stripes and so on...

Newman has probably explained better than me. It is just that I like to list thingies as specs :D

I'd recommend more horizontal angles for those scratches.. Keep up the good work

-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Snagger

Re: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on he
Apart from around acces panels and the cockpit edge, the vast majority of scratches should be fairly linear around the craft's longitudinal axis as this is the path that most objects it hits would be.

Offline newman

Might want to use layer masks with the stripes and painted on text layers, to simulate wear..
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Might want to use layer masks with the stripes and painted on text layers, to simulate wear..

Well, what i've got is a layer above the paint group. The layer is a solid color, and then the paint is masked away. The paint mask was based off of the GI-bake, but Looks like I need to add more to it, lol.

Apart from around acces panels and the cockpit edge, the vast majority of scratches should be fairly linear around the craft's longitudinal axis as this is the path that most objects it hits would be.

I will make the scratches a bit more longitudinal, but not by a whole lot.

Ill up the burns and impacts some, too.

Offline Snagger

I will make the scratches a bit more longitudinal, but not by a whole lot.

Ill up the burns and impacts some, too.
I think they need to almost all longitudinal, with a handful in markedly different directions.  I wouldn't put much more dirt or scorching on it, just a few boot sole black marks around the cockpit and on the "gun steps", and some grubby finger marks around some access panels.  Just don't over-do it.

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
If anyone else has some model work they have been doing, feel free to post in here as well.

More of a test shot than a final product, but I think I'm getting there slowly...gotta fix the engines a bit and the lighting needs some work still

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Nice pic. :yes: Reminds me Kobol's Last Gleaming.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Zmur

Very very nice looking ships. Both of them.

Talking about scratches, I would say that there is one more "type" of scratches apart from other three mentioned above - the maintenance scratches, which appear while technicians repair the ship. They, as I think would mostly be around covers, cockpit, places where armour panels are fastened together and so on.
Having one marker, it is possible to colour up everything, except that marker itself. Having two markers, it is possible to colour up everything at all.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I made this a while back ( it was inspired by Adalla's first released pic on BSGP ) as i converted Coxxons fleet for my vid.

btw. does the background look familiar? :D

I made this a while back ( it was inspired by Adalla's first released pic on BSGP ) as i converted Coxxons fleet for my vid.

btw. does the background look familiar? :D

You need just a little bit of GI. I know its not really accurate, but thats a rule that ought be bent for art. Maybe put a very light blue GI-dome at a low intensity and you're set.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
... I would say that there is one more "type" of scratches apart from other three mentioned above - the maintenance scratches, which appear while technicians repair the ship....

And do not forget about the scratches Colonel Tight does as he goes down drunk to the decks and does his thingies with his bottle.. I think that there're not other scratch types to mention on there after all that
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Adalla, I like this picture. However, if I were you I would add some blur to this picture like in show. Just look at any space views of Vipers/Raptors. They've got some kind of motion blur. For this moment I see only nearly invisible, blurred stars. I'd recommend adding more blur to the fighter and less blur for stars or just making stars brighter.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline newman

Look again. He's got blur.