Author Topic: so, who is a top gun? :)  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Nighteyes

so, who is a top gun? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxuxRKRO23o&feature=youtu.be

its possible to get a medal in M1, who of you guys managed to get it? :)
I thought it might be fun to post your highest kill numbers for M1(and possibly other missions as well)

the reward?

I'll start this off at 58 kills:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: so, who is a top gun? :)
Just to be clear the Galactica Stein is redeemable only via Nighteyes and is not officially offered by the Diaspora Development Team.  So nobody show up at my address looking for their stoneware mug, I'll loose the warhounds.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Nighteyes

Just to be clear the Galactica Stein is redeemable only via Nighteyes and is not officially offered by the Diaspora Development Team.  So nobody show up at my address looking for their stoneware mug, I'll loose the warhounds.

lol and I'll be further clear, there is no redeemable "reward", just the fuzzy warm feeling of accomplishment :)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I doubt that was in Insane, was it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Unlikely, but when I have some time, I'm gonna beat his score on insane. :)

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Shame on your landing sequence!!!!!!!!! :D
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Aether

Video says the difficulty is set to normal so that's pretty impressive! Well done! Now I am going to try and beat it! (If at all possible  :blah:)

Honestly, I didn't even think there were 58 raiders in M-1, but there you go :lol:
So say we all!

Offline Nighteyes

In the video description it states this was on Normal, I didn't like all those videos ending with 10-15 kills(not to mention a certain sepia post processing effect) and thought I'd show how its meant to be played IMO...
the main issue is to conserve the ammo, in the video I got 54, but on another run when I wasn't recording got the 58

dragon, let the games begin! :D

Aether: there are many more raiders, 58 is all I got, Theseus and the other vipers are effective and its a race to kill the raiders before they do

Epic landing!  I'm quite envious.  I get an average of 4-5 kills per mission.  Usually, I actually shoot down twice as many but they get counted as assist due to the Raiders already being heavily damaged by flak, collisions with Theseus, and NPC Vipers (in that order).

Offline Aether

Story of my life. I'll be chasing a bandit, 30% left, 10% left, 2% left, THESEUS SHOOTS IT DOWN  :sigh:
So say we all!

Offline Demitri

I just had a quick run through the first mission on Normal and got a pitiful 25 before getting jumped by a particularly sneaky raider! :hopping:
Having said that, most of my damage came from repeatedly flying through the flak screen! Will be attempting to improve upon that score tho. :)
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Anybody getting that many kills on Advanced yet?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I'm more curious to see who can beat the last dogfight in training mission 2 on Insane. Without using missiles. :)

Just remember, the AI can get quite a lot harder than that. :D

For the record, I think the most I got while counting was 40+ kills on Hard (or whatever we renamed it to, second-highest) on M6. That was an earlier version of M6, though, that was slightly broken (I was able to get so many raiders because I was keeping the Theseus alive for far, far, far too long).

Offline Demitri

33 kills, 15 assists second run through on Normal. And there aint no way i'm trying Insane. Dont want to be resarting the mission every 10 seconds!!!
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline newman

Meh.. normal difficulty. If you guys are going to have a top gun contest, it should be at least on advanced or above. On difficulties below advanced you still have autoaim which means killing raiders is as hard as popping bubble wrap. I once completed the game on insane, then went to play on normal just to compare with having autoim. I recall having about 60+ kills in M1 (61, 62.. somewhere in that vicinity), then running out of ammo :) Without autoim that kill count drops, drastically. And I find a lower amount of kills when you have to work hard for each one a lot more fun than dozens of easy ones.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i'm all for an insane level  contest.... let's start to become MEN!!!! :D

I think the Galactica top gun Contest  could wait until the MP will works good.
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

That's why I'd like to see the difficulty setting show on the stats screen. Then we could get a competition going. :)
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Aether

Insane level contest?  :shaking:

I played M1 on Insane 4 times, did not survive one...

I'm getting pretty excited with Torc's idea of having a MP Top Gun tournament when Multiplayer gets fleshed out. Just the idea of having Tournaments alone is getting me pretty giddy :lol: Clan vs. Clan type matches until there's an eventual Top Squadron also. Maybe make it like a one weekend a month kinda thing?

Ah! So many plans! :P

I'm going off topic anyway. Looks like this weekend I'm going to try and get 50+ kills on *gulp* Insane difficulty...  :nervous: Good practice for Multiplayer anyway. ;)
So say we all!

Offline Nighteyes

hmm a contest for insane will probably scare off some of the new guys... maybe we can just have a rank for each difficulty?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just use this and play on whatever difficulty you like.

http://fs2downloads.com/Misc-Downloads/Builds/Top_Gun_Competition_Builds.zip

Based on current trunk (the only uncommitted code from Diaspora builds is to do with FRED anyway, so why not). these builds will print the skill level at the top of the stats screen.

To use, extract to the Diaspora folder and select from the launcher. Remember that when patches come out you'll need to go back to using the official Diaspora build.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]