Author Topic: Anyone using FRED in linux?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Cerebus

Anyone using FRED in linux?
if so, how did you do it?  Wine, VM, something else?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Anyone using FRED in linux?
I was about to reply and say that I could run FRED under wine but I couldn't save anything.  However, I thought I should just try again (3.6.14 RC6 FRED - latest version I have hanging around) and saving worked just fine! :)  This was a clean WINEPREFIX (WinXP mode), wine-1.5.14 on Mint13 x86_64.  Note however that I haven't done anything except add 4x Hercs, create two wings Alpha & Beta, then saved the mission so it's not exactly a good test...

And - just noticed that you're asking about Diaspora, not FSO.  Oops.  I don't have the Diaspora Windows FRED exec on my PC and a couple of GB download just to get it from the installer seems a little excessive, but it may work OK as I described for FSO above.  If you want to post your Diaspora FRED exec, I could give that a go and report back...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can't see any reason it shouldn't work. Unless the code that fixed it was introduced in the last month or so. In which case, I can get you more recent builds. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cerebus

I tried getting it working with WINE once and couldn't get it to open last week, I'll give it another go, I'm using mint as well.

I'm running it under wine. all builds but retail have worked perfectly for me.
May the Force be with you