Author Topic: Why is sketchup so popular?  (Read 5457 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: Why is sketchup so popular?
Hit the Decompose button in tS then the down arrow button until the interior chunk is highlighted, then delete it. Another problem I've run into with models exported from Sketchup is verts and edges occupying the same space but not joined- like a pair of playing cards touching without being glued together.

Yeah, umm, this is TS trying to open up the model:

As I said, poor old SU exports massively unstable geometry. If Blender can't help, there's no way on earth that TS can. ;)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Water

Sketchup does seem to have the tools to  find the hidden faces and edges, including a section tool (clunky version of alt-b in Blender) So it would be up to the modeler to sort it out. That's where it falls apart. The skills needed to sort that out are not what a Sketchup user should need to know.

An advanced Sketchup user may be able to do it, using layers and components but as the model becomes more complex other software may start to look more attractive (which is basically what you said)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I just delete unneeded edges, faces, etc while I model.  It saves me the trouble of finding them all at the end, and I come out with a solid mesh that shouldn't have any problems.  Sometimes I have to show hidden geometry to find weird edges that SketchUp has generated, and almost all of the time, I have to fly inside my model to get all of them.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Well me and bengal have had some sucess with .obj exports then redoing the model in TS 3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
What do you mean by 'redoing' though? What we're after is a nice clean way to export SU stuff that doesn't require you to spend hours fixing up all the problems the program or the export created, because if you have to do that then there is absolutely no reason to use SU for FS modding.  :(
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline blowfish

What we really need is a PMF exporter for SketchUp.  It would export hierarchy, geometry, and smoothing, and you could do firepoints etc in PCS2.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Does SU support that kind of scripting? I don't think it does but I could be wrong.

Anyway, Kazan still hates blender for a small bug in an export format from many years back due to all the hassle it caused him when people blamed the bug on PCS1, and SU is exporting stuff that is infinitely less stable than that. :p

So uh,....yeah - I doubt Kaz would be too happy to do that.
Twisted Infinities

Offline blowfish

I think SketchUp supports plugins built in Ruby.

And I don't know why people have so many issues with SketchUp exporting unstable geometry.  Except for a few isolated scenarios, all of the stuff I have exported with the 3ds exporter has had no visible problems.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Sketchup does support exporter plugins built in Ruby - I myself have .ASE and .LWO exporters installed.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Sketchup does support exporter plugins built in Ruby - I myself have .ASE and .LWO exporters installed.
Eh. You could have mentioned this capability to me at some point on MSN during the hours we spent trying to work out a solution. :p
Twisted Infinities

Offline blowfish

Post removed — I read "does" as "doesn't".  Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:19:17 pm by blowfish »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Eh. You could have mentioned this capability to me at some point on MSN during the hours we spent trying to work out a solution. :p

Well I figured since it still came out of Sketchup, it wouldn't matter :p Get online tonight and we can try it out :)