Author Topic: Games that wowed you  (Read 23222 times)

Offline Mikes

Re: Games that wowed you
There's also Sins of a Solar Empire, not so much "wow" as being a gem in the genre.

Well... technically, i guess you could even sort of say it was the game that founded the genre of 4XRTS lol ;)

Offline SPARTAN-367

• Olly olly oxen free
    • SPARTAN-367 (PAT)
Freespace 1: Enough said and understood.
Freespace 2: Enough said and understood.

Half-Life 2: Everything about it is awesome + mods are awesome.

Longest Journey: Awesome story.
DreamFall: Longest Journey: Awesome story.

Halo 1: Story & single player & multiplayer gameplay, After reading the first Halo book I got attached to the Halo storyline so deeply and I can't get out.
Halo 2: Story & multiplayer gameplay
Halo 3: Story & singeplayer & multiplayer gameplay

Mass Effect: Story is good, Books drew me in deeper also.

Kill.Switch: First ever simple game to introduce the cover system and did it so well and was a blast, just too short :( had a good story going too.
Bourne Conspiracy Game: Such a simple game which is fun to play, just too short.
Call of Duty Series: Amount of crap happening at same time is orgasmic.
Mirror's Edge: Differently cool and beautiful.

Battlezone 1: Graphics wise nice and gameplay was so fun!
Battlezone 2: Graphic wise nice... gameplay wise sucked :(

Starcraft: everyone played it for sure...
Diablo: everyone played it for sure..
- SPARTAN-367 (PAT)

Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied.

"TROOPERS we are GREEN, and very very MEAN!"

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
There's also Sins of a Solar Empire, not so much "wow" as being a gem in the genre.

Well... technically, i guess you could even sort of say it was the game that founded the genre of 4XRTS lol ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haegemonia

Been there, done that.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Um, Homeworld?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
In Homeworld you don't claim planets and don't do diplomacy iirc.

Sins of a Solar Empire? It's cool for a while but: Ships are ugly:(, lacks 3D battles :(
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Mikes

... i don't think anyone could mistake either Homeworld or Haegemonia for an actual 4X game. They are both "RTS in space"... but if you call them 4X then you basically are saying any RTS is "4X" as long as it has Spaceships. ;)

Don't take me wrong. I consider Homeworld one of the best games of all time. Heagemonia not so much. But good or bad is beside the point. Matter of fact i would say that Homeworld is/was quite a bit better suited for Multiplayer than Sins of s Solar Empire is, simply for the reason that it is NOT a 4X game LOL ;) Heagomonia just proves that "4X" is not just about having planets to colonize either.

The idea behind the 4X label is a scope scale and metagameplay that has little to do with classical RTS gameplay.
So matter of fact, Sins really was the first game (to my knowledge anyways) that was built as a 4X game in realtime (instead of a "classic RTS in space / 3D" , which is something else entirely).
The only other game i would know of in the genre (coincidentially with horrible 2d graphics ;) ), would be the new indie game "Ai Wars: Fleet Command".

Don't mistake your apples for oranges and don't mistake my intent here: I definitely am not as silly as to propose discussing wether a game has to be an apple or an orange to be "better" either LOL ;)

What they are however, is different.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:50:43 am by Mikes »

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
What does differentiate Haegemonia from Sins of a Solar Empire?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

A lot.  Hegemonia might not have much diplomacy (but then again, neither does Sins, most people play Sins with locked teams just like an RTS), but Hegemonia is much more of a 4X, at least in my opinion since it has a much deeper research tree and you get involved with your planets more.  In Hegemonia you can build all sorts of structures on your planets.  In Sins you conquer, colonize, build a few orbital structures, and spam frigates.  To be honest, I was hoping Sins was a cross between Hegemonia and Galactic Civilizations 2.  I thought it had fewer planets, more ship-to-ship combat, and a bit more micro than it does now.  Instead I got what I refer to as Supreme Commander in space, when I thought I would be getting an involving 4X game in real-time.  Yeah, I suffer from a good deal of buyer's remorse.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Mikes

A lot.  Hegemonia might not have much diplomacy (but then again, neither does Sins, most people play Sins with locked teams just like an RTS), but Hegemonia is much more of a 4X, at least in my opinion since it has a much deeper research tree and you get involved with your planets more.  In Hegemonia you can build all sorts of structures on your planets.  In Sins you conquer, colonize, build a few orbital structures, and spam frigates.  To be honest, I was hoping Sins was a cross between Hegemonia and Galactic Civilizations 2.  I thought it had fewer planets, more ship-to-ship combat, and a bit more micro than it does now.  Instead I got what I refer to as Supreme Commander in space, when I thought I would be getting an involving 4X game in real-time.  Yeah, I suffer from a good deal of buyer's remorse.

Hegemonia appeared way too one-dimensional to me, with a quite linear upgrade path and a severe lack of diversity in unit types, tactics and strategy.
It offered neither the scope nor complexity that is a staple of pretty much any 4X game and i rather left the impression of some sort of "poor mans Homeworld" on me.

And while in Sins a simple "spam" strategy is possible there, it is also easily counterable and there certainly is a much wider variety of possible fleet compositions with ships that actually fill specific rules, including carriers, fighter defense, long range missile attack, anti structure siege torpedo ships, and a WIDE range of utility ships offering fleet wide targeting bonuses, individual ship repair, sabotage drones, et cetera and a range of capital ships with unique special abilities to top it off. Heagemonias unit selection is quite embarassing in comparison not just to Sins, but the almost any "decent" regular RTS i played up to including Homeworld and Supreme Commander, ... but i guess that goes to show how opinions differ ;)

Imho. Heagemonia would be a rather lackluster example of a regular RTS game and that is what it was to me: An RTS game that happened to play in space, but sadly didn't offer much complexity in gameplay or strategy.
That it has a "Tech tree" and happens to play on maps that features a couple of planets instead potential resource/base locations doesn't suddenly put it into a new genre.
There are enough titles that offer a quite similar gameplay experience that "just don't happen to play in space".

And Homeworld would be an example just how much better and playable the basic idea of "classic RTS in space" can be spun.
Sins on the other hand has a quite different gameplay focus, scale and scope. It's gameplay on a different level that requires different thinking.

Again... that doesn't make it better or worse, not even more or less complex than other games ... but the different focus on gameplay with the emphasis on the strategic layer instead of other games tendency to focus on the tactical layer as well as the scale and scope of the decisions that have to be made and the odds that have to be balanced, matter of fact is what could be an argument to put it in a genre of its own.

I.e. i would argue again that there is a difference, and it's not a differnce that could be measured by pairs like "good/bad" "complex/simple gameplay" or even "diffcult/easy"... rather it's different... in what kind of gameplay it offers and focuses on.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:31:49 pm by Mikes »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Games that wowed me ... hmm...

Raptor: Call of the Shadows for extreme difficulty;

Freelancer, because it is very lively and filled with excellent (American) chatter;

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 because it has a sandbox and lots of stuff to mess around with without any tedious view controls (:ha:, RCT3);

Tyrian 2000 for having lots of features;

Jets'n'Guns for unrivalled side-scrolling gore and shout-outs every ten seconds;

Dr. Lunatic Supreme With Cheese for Dumbness;

SuperTuxKart for OS mascots racing each other; and finally

Bejeweled Twist for fruit.

The only games that I buy or obtain are those that really catch my eye.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline mxlm

Imperium Galactica and Pax Imperium were both 4xRTS space empire games released years ago.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Imperium Galactica was technically real-time, but it went into a tactical mode for battles.

I loved that game dearly, though.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Battlezone 1: Graphics wise nice and gameplay was so fun!
Battlezone 2: Graphic wise nice... gameplay wise sucked

I think it's the other way around, especially after having played both recently. BZ1 was revolutionary but had a lot of serious flaws in its gameplay and balance, most of which were fixed in BZ2.

This game was actually on the easy side by the standards of side scrollers, even on the elite difficulty. :p

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

This game was actually on the easy side by the standards of side scrollers, even on the elite difficulty. :p

I'm talking about Outer Regions on Elite difficulty. Of course, Jets'n'Guns puts that to shame, but still... :nervous:

It's interesting to note that DemonStar didn't really impress me as much as Raptor, and although it's never mentioned by Mountain King Studios, I suspect that DemonStar is Raptor's spiritual successor.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm talking about Outer Regions on Elite difficulty. Of course, Jets'n'Guns puts that to shame, but still... :nervous:

It's interesting to note that DemonStar didn't really impress me as much as Raptor, and although it's never mentioned by Mountain King Studios, I suspect that DemonStar is Raptor's spiritual successor.

Even Outer Regions isn't that hard. I guess I played that game way too much and had memorized all the enemy waves, but I never found it to be a big challenge.

Demonstar was supposed to be exactly that, but many people consider it inferior to Raptor due to the slower pace (in terms of both your and enemies' movements) and the lack of a money/shop system. I do think it's somewhat harder though, since your ship can only take a couple of hits unlike Raptor.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Even Outer Regions isn't that hard. I guess I played that game way too much and had memorized all the enemy waves, but I never found it to be a big challenge.

Pfft ... easy for you to say. I've only managed to complete Wave 9 of Outer Regions earlier this year, and I still find going through the whole of Outer Regions a headache on Elite.

Demonstar was supposed to be exactly that, but many people consider it inferior to Raptor due to the slower pace (in terms of both your and enemies' movements) and the lack of a money/shop system. I do think it's somewhat harder though, since your ship can only take a couple of hits unlike Raptor.

The shield system in DemonStar is rubbish. What's the point of having shields if you blow up when:

- you hit two red shots;
- you hit three big yellow shots;
- you fly into any enemy;
- you get skewered by a blue laser for 0.3 seconds;
- you touch a red laser;
- you fly into the debris of an enemy ship; and
- you hit an asteroid?

As a result, I spend most of my time playing DemonStar worrying about not hitting anything.

Secret Missions 1 and 2 makes the shields a bit more powerful, though. Not only do they recharge if you don't shoot (like Raptor on any difficulty except Elite), you get two seconds of invulnerability if you pick up a shield crystal with full shields. In addition, they can withstand stronger projectiles. I once got skewered by a blue laser in Secret Missions 2 for 0.5 seconds before I died.

DemonStar also has that "systems damaged" quirk from Raptor. In Raptor, you lose a weapon with every hit if your regular shields are below 10%. In DemonStar, if you somehow manage to get your shields down to one bar, your primary weapon drops by a level.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Sword of the Stars.

nobody mentioning it is a crime against humanity. Best 4X EVAR!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mikes

Sword of the Stars.

nobody mentioning it is a crime against humanity. Best 4X EVAR!

uh.... not... lol.

MOO2, GalCiv2, Imperium Galactica2 and even Sins kinda just say otherwise, with emphasis.

SotS main trapping in my eyes was that it was mostly built around allowing these tactical space battles to happen,
as often and painfully as possible, because gameplaywise the battles themselves were way too simplistic to be interesting and the framework (i.e. rest of the game) around them couldn't carry any weight of its own either.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:33:33 am by Mikes »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Do you guys have DemonStar? I thought I was the only one... :eek2:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The shield system in DemonStar is rubbish. What's the point of having shields if you blow up when:

- you hit two red shots;
- you hit three big yellow shots;
- you fly into any enemy;
- you get skewered by a blue laser for 0.3 seconds;
- you touch a red laser;
- you fly into the debris of an enemy ship; and
- you hit an asteroid?

As a result, I spend most of my time playing DemonStar worrying about not hitting anything.

Secret Missions 1 and 2 makes the shields a bit more powerful, though. Not only do they recharge if you don't shoot (like Raptor on any difficulty except Elite), you get two seconds of invulnerability if you pick up a shield crystal with full shields. In addition, they can withstand stronger projectiles. I once got skewered by a blue laser in Secret Missions 2 for 0.5 seconds before I died.

Yeah, you basically have to avoid getting hit at all in most situations. This wouldn't have been a big problem in itself, but your ship moves quite slowly and makes it harder to dodge things. Raptor definitely had better game mechanics in general.

I played through the original Demonstar many times, although I never got the secret missions. Are they any good?