Author Topic: C&C: Red Alert 3  (Read 31813 times)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
@Colonel Dekker: I've got a C2D E6850, 2GB ram, GeForce 8600GTS on Vista Premium and I have the details turned most of the way up.  It looks stunning and performance never drops for graphical reasons.  Network yes...thats buggered all to hell in the beta but it renders very quickly.  If you can play C&C3 (or even the demo to that game) succesfully then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

@NGTM-1R: I think they were definitely going for that when they designed the Shogun :)

You'd think that someone (or some company) would create an almost perfect set of network code, and sell it. Imagine how much time would be saved.
* BloodEagle dreams

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!

I'm already planning on pre-ordering it, then maybe we can see about hooking up to trash the **** out of the campaign.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
My specs are: P4 2.66GHz, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 6600 GT. Will I be able to run RA3?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Not too sure, tbh. You might be able to if all the settings are low. RA3 isn't that graphically intensive.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Hows C&C3 play for you?  If you don't have it...download the C&C3 demo...give it a try.  If you get top notch performance in C&C3 ...then you should see similar results for RA3.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Hows C&C3 play for you?  If you don't have it...download the C&C3 demo...give it a try.  If you get top notch performance in C&C3 ...then you should see similar results for RA3.

Hmm. You could do that too. Wonder why I never taught of that. :lol: Since RA3 and C&C3 are built on the same SAGE engine.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Is it still capped at 30 FPS? Bummer, if so.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It probably is. That is one thing about C&C3 that always annoyed me. The 30fps jitteriness is quite noticeable and the engine is an older one that is easily capable of much higher performance on current hardware. I got used to it after playing the game a lot, but it's still annoying. I managed to find a way to remove the cap, but the game speed is tied into the framerate so it was pretty useless.

Like many RTSs though, C&C3 (and probably RA3 as well) is rather CPU heavy especially if you play with several skirmish AIs. C&C3 was one of the very few games that would often gain more from a CPU upgrade than a video card one, so I would expect RA3 to be similar.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Huh. Y'know, I always noticed that Generals and Tiberium Wars didn't really lag per se -- the game would just go into bullet time, but the framerate would seem to remain roughly steady. It was as if the engine slowed the game down to keep it running smoothly.

Is that what you mean when you say that game speed is tied to the framerate?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There is an option somewhere in the game's config files (within one of the bigs) that lets you turn off the framerate cap. It shot up to 100fps when I did that, but the game also ran at triple speed and was unplayable.

I haven't noticed the effect you describe. The game does sometimes slow down, especially when the AIs build a lot of junk in a skirmirsh game, but this is accompanied by a drop to 20-25fps.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
*snip*
When my framerate drops that much in Zero Hour, I grab a couple of nukes and go hunting.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
There is an option somewhere in the game's config files (within one of the bigs) that lets you turn off the framerate cap. It shot up to 100fps when I did that, but the game also ran at triple speed and was unplayable....

Same happened to me, but with RA1. It's fun, but makes campaigns even more difficult.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, all of the older C&C games did the same thing. RA1 caps the framerate at all but the two topmost game speed settings, at which the cap is no longer in effect but things run at 10 times the normal speed on modern computers. It's actually pretty funny to watch a bunch of AIs go at each other in skirmish at that speed.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Is it still capped at 30 FPS? Bummer, if so.
Hadn't checked but just visually...yes still 30 FPS. Its smooth and consistent I guess...but not super smooth.  They should cap at 60 if they are going to cap it.  But that might be technically difficult given the eyecandy + lots of older machines around.
- IceFire

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
:bump:

Oookay. Who has it now? Anyone up for co-op? I wanna try the campaigns in co-op.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I bought it yesterday. I love the empire but the allied tanks sound just like me ^_^ no co-op i'm afraid. Too slow a connection, plus i think i'm still drunk from me and big K's rave in Astoria 2 last night/this morning. Gah,
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I got it. It's very pretty, and the action is fast-paced and slick. But after Company of Heroes and Homeworld and Dawn of War, I was expecting something more. It doesn't even have the depth that Command and Conquer 3 did.

I've only played through the Soviet campaign so far. They work hard at the sense of humor, but it seems as if the campaign is too silly -- it's missing some of the investment you got from Red Alert 2.

I'll see how I feel after finishing the other two campaigns. So far, I'm enjoying it, but not loving it.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
The Allies campaign was way more interesting to me than the Soviet one.  And the Empire one is so far turning out to be great too.

Online is a bit of a struggle right now but offline is fun.  I haven't tried to do COOP yet but I want to play everything by myself before I try coop.  I like to experience the single player campaign by myself (with the cool new AI ally) before I try and ruin it with another person :)

Stormkeeper: My nickname online is NSIceFire...look me up.  We can do COOP sometime soon.
- IceFire

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hmm, good to hear. Well, I still think I preferred the depth of C&C3, with the presence of unit upgrades and such.