Author Topic: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]  (Read 452763 times)

Offline ShivanSpS

Re: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED

Spoiler:
-MM the Krios msg in "Betrayed" gets cut up somethines because it gets destroyed before finish the dialoge, the initial delay is way too much, the Krios take too much time to hail the pilots...
The timing is fine for me.  Are you afterburning toward the Krios?  Are you using cheats?
afterburners, anyway, is not common, it have see it happen about 2 times out of 20...

"Terran pilots fired on Vasudans with intent to kill."  One of GTI's priorities is to stop overzealous pilots from jeopardizing the Terran-Vasudan truce.  In this particular case, the fighting had already started, so GTI had to sanitize it.  As for Command, what do you mean?
Those where GTA and PVE operation vs Shivans until they attacked each other... i cant belive there ist a "command" monitoring that operation from start(before the player arrive). But nevermind.

BTW, is clear that those Repulse fighters destroyed the convoy, as well is really clear that they whould have kill you if wast of the Krios arriving in time, for the first time, the Shivans saved the player :P
Excellent catch. :)  We hoped that players would figure out things like this. :)
I wonder what the Shivans say when the Krios arrive... "WTF is going on here.... two destroyers god knows how many fighter wings for two escape pods " :P

Spoiler:
About Secrets Reborn, i just departed my wings by accident and Bragi and Skadi just ignore me, as well Epsilon never came.
This will give you an idea of the departed ships, it was well before the cruisers arrive.
http://i39.tinypic.com/288yu5k.jpg
The cruisers have already arrived in that screenshot.  Once that happens, the Lokis stop targeting you and start firing on the cruisers.
The screenshoot was only to show you what ships i departed, this happened when Zeta betrayed us, them i was left alone, they killed all Osiris and just stay flying doing nothing, i could kill them 1 by 1... it just didt attack me, when the cruisers arrive they started to attack them.
[/spoiler]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Spoiler:
To the storyline dude (Goober5000?). Why did you go and make the GTI hate the Vasudans? That's totally uncalled for and non-canon. I thought the GTI were cool but turns out they're just the NTF 32 years early. :(

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Spoiler:
To the storyline dude (Goober5000?). Why did you go and make the GTI hate the Vasudans? That's totally uncalled for and non-canon. I thought the GTI were cool but turns out they're just the NTF 32 years early. :(
Spoiler:
I think it makes perfect sense for certain elements of the GTI to have strong anti-Vasudan sentiments.  It's obvious that the Hades project had to be in the works long before the Shivan incursion, and with the impromptu alliance seemingly strengthening as the Shivans were pushed back, those who worked on it easily could have viewed it all as wasted effort.  When you add that to the fact that GTI technicians were able to adapt the Shivan technology and data that they captured, one can see how the Vasudans could have been viewed as unnecessary, and even detrimental, to the continued progress of humanity.

Besides, GTI were always jerks. :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Spoiler:
Also why wasn't the Hades deployed against the Shivans? Turn their own technology against them? (I'm talking about GTA High Command who might have known about the project

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Spoiler:
Also why wasn't the Hades deployed against the Shivans? Turn their own technology against them? (I'm talking about GTA High Command who might have known about the project

It probably wasn't finished.
Spoiler:
The shipyard present during the attack on the Repulse suggests it might only have been launched recently.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Mongoose and General Battuta have the right idea.
Spoiler:
And besides, the entire GTA could be "the NTF 32 years early" if you want to go that route.  Keep in mind that they're only six months out of a fourteen year war.  There's still a lot of hostility.  We're not trying to ret-con FS2 into FS1 here; these are concepts straight from the FSRef Bible.  (In fact, parts of the conversation in Exodus were lifted directly from the deleted bar fight scene.)

Also, the storyline wasn't written solely by me.  Galemp and I collaborated and debated and even fought with each other for years and years to fine-tune the story and the missions.  Take this post from 2005:

Well, after a long period of inactivity, the wheels are moving again on ST:R. It's good to get working again, but we're reminded of why things went so slowly last time; Goober and I are debating everything from the name of the player's squadron to the types of weapons the Hades uses to whether or not the PVD Pinnacle was involved in the Battle of Deneb. None of it really matters, of course, but we both have far too many ideas. :rolleyes:
Galemp is so busy right now that he hasn't had as much time to devote to following this thread as I have, but he deserves just as much of the credit.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Been so busy recently that I haven't done much in the way of anything in FreeSpace.  But I was feeling a little cabin feverish this weekend with the snow and extreme cold and the generally wanting to stay indoors and away from all of the flu/cold ridden people out there....so....

I downloaded everything.  MediaVPs, FS Port, and....Silent Threat: Reborn.

I'm not done yet but I think I may write a proper review at some point.  In any case ST: Reborn is definitely well worth the download and I'm enjoying myself immensely with a set of new (and challenging!) missions.  The voice package is also superb!  So congratulations are definitely in order for the ST: Reborn team and all of the various contributors!  Its nice to see a long running project finally come to completion....there is hope for the future :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Awesome. :)

New core VP uploaded, btw, with minor bugfixes.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hey guys.

Taking a much-needed break at home after my semester wrapped up, FSPort, MVPs, FSPort MVPs, and ST:R were all released, AND I had vacation time.

So I've been following this thread, but not replying very much. I do want to say thanks so much for all the praise, and I'm glad most everyone has been enjoying it and its storyline.

Snail:
Spoiler:
Re-read the command briefs for the last mission again. Given what we had to work with, that's the story that brings together all the elements of the original Silent Threat: rogue GTI, the appearance of the Hades, ghost ships, etc. Given what we had to work with, I think it's pretty solid.

Like Goober said, it's not that the GTI was inexplicably anti-Vasudan, it's that the GTA was suddenly pro-Vasudan, after fourteen years of war. You can see a lot of that sentiment in Exodus and Secrets Reborn. Behind the scenes, we're looking at that kind of fracture in Terran politics that contributes to the ultimate dissolution of the GTA. During reconstruction some Terrans want a full alliance, some want segregation, others merely tolerate the Vasudans and some are outright hostile. It took thirty years for a true Terran-Vasudan Alliance to gather enough steam to become the dominant power in the galaxy.

Imagine the politics of unification here on Earth: Apartheid, the Civil Rights movement, the Soviet Union breakup, the European Union creation. It's a complicated issue, and the GTA's post-Great War position probably wasn't a popular one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:56:18 am by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline eliex

Spoiler:
Zeta wing's defection to the GTI midway during the mission Secrets Reborn is my favourite example of that.
EDIT - Actually perhaps Alpha 2's rail against a Vasudan freighter.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:55:51 am by Galemp »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Spoiler tags plz

Whoops.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:56:37 am by Galemp »

Some thoughts, since I finished the campaign:

The GTI is funding pirates just to steal Bosch Beer (Yeah, I noticed that cargo container :P)?

I liked that the "Rescue Vesudan Starbase" mission has that nifty-sneaky zeus bomber in it. It did not appear on my first playtrough (Where the Hades appeared earlier, and when I tried to escape from the explosion I got fried by a loki). It did appear on my second, suddenly, and then it fried the station (My comm subsystem had been fried and I could not understand what the hell they were talking about...). On the third playtrough I managed to knock it out, seeing that it was listed as a bonus objective. I quite liked this, it is the most radical aproach to "Make the game more difficult if the pilot is good" I've ever seen in a game.

THe last mission was a tad bit boring though. It was the longest assault mission I had ever been on, and the Hades did not pose much of a threat. Neither did I had much trouble with it's fighter complement, but I might just have been lucky. Still, it is a lot better then the "Put the Lord of the Rings on the ctrl-key, enable time compression, and get a cup of chocalate milk" approach on the original one.

Offline acalas

Gentleman, I have been a HUGE fan of your work over the years. I have to say that with the release of STR and the update to 3.11 you have done nothing short of the incredible. The graphics, gameplay , voice acting, and overall feel of both not only improves on both but it has set a standard that I highly doubt even the big boys could compete with. Simply Outstanding pilots!  :D

Thank you for keeping the dream alive and making it better then the original.
If and when there is a DVD made available for the install of both I can tell you this, I would damn sure shell out my cash for something of this quality then I would for some of the "commercial" releases out there.

Anthony aka. Warlock
Signing off.

p.s My 8 year old son has given you his highest form of praise. "It rocks the rocks dad"  :lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Spoiler:
In "Cloak and Dagger", why are the first pirate freighters to arrive at the Talus merely drones? One of your wingmen points this out during the mission, but the reason why is never explained.

Is Wingman 4's callsign really "*****"? That would make for some fun com chatter, wouldn't it?

"Attack my target, *****!"
"Return to base, *****!"

"Cover me, *****!"  :pimp:

;)
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I originally thought your *****s meant something unpleasant (which they are).
* Androgeos Exeunt refrains from firing his LRABeam at acalas.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:47:50 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
You know, that showed up just fine in the preview.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
That's because you have the word filter on.
I see them just fine.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ShivanSpS

Spoiler:
the krios msg timming is getting worse... i dont know why, it just happen to me 5 times in a row, when i was testing that...

Last time the Krios started to talk when it was at 2%...
http://i44.tinypic.com/10z38cp.png

BTW, im using a fake campaing file to unlock all missions in the techroom, because i didt complete the campaing on this pc and i forgot to take the pilot file... but i dubt this is the reason...

BTW2, if all escape pods are destroyed the directive "Protect escape pods" still in blank, it does not goes red.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:59:25 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt uncensors all words.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
After failing Blood of the Innocents three times in a row on medium (by being blown into itty bitty Valkyrie pieces), I have decided there are WAY too many ****ing Lokis in that mission.  That, and that the Interceptor doesn't intercept nearly as well as the Harpoon.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]