Author Topic: Multiple sound cards under Linux  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Shevek

Multiple sound cards under Linux
I have a more or less fresh install of FSO on Kubuntu 10.10 that seems to be working well so far, except I can't get sound. I have tried setting the sound device to both PulseAudio and ALSA in the YAL launcher, but neither works. My hypothesis is that FreeSpace is using the dedicated sound card I have installed, when I want it to use the integrated sound card. I'm not sure how to test that, since I don't have any speakers I can hook up to the dedicated card at this point (I mainly use it for input), and the integrated card is what connects to my headphone port. I could also be totally wrong and I'm just not getting any sound from Freespace at all. Suggestions?

Details of my system are in my signature.
AMD Phenom II X3 740, 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM 1600 MHz
ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 motherboard
ASUS GTS 450 925 MHz
60 GB Mushkin SSD 285/275 MB/s
640 GB WD Caviar Green HDD
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card
Kubuntu 10.10
Trust Predator joystick

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Multiple sound cards under Linux
Well the easy way to test is to unplug the headphones from the integrated output and into the card output. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shevek

Re: Multiple sound cards under Linux
The card doesn't have a quarter inch or eighth inch output.

EDIT:

Upon further investigation, I don't think this is a FreeSpace problem, since at least one other application was having similar symptoms. Solved temporarily by disabling the dedicated card while I don't need it.
AMD Phenom II X3 740, 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM 1600 MHz
ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 motherboard
ASUS GTS 450 925 MHz
60 GB Mushkin SSD 285/275 MB/s
640 GB WD Caviar Green HDD
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card
Kubuntu 10.10
Trust Predator joystick