Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211561 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by Flipside
Well, he has posted 'permission' already, he said that if anyone wanted to develop a FS2 clone, the Source Code is out there, and we can feel free to use it.

In black and white :)

But FSO is not an FS2 clone, :wtf: ?

Originally posted by kv1at3485
I say let him have a go.  He deserves that much, and who knows, it might turn out ok. :nod:

I have been saying the same since my first post.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
*reads*

Oh, so that what everybody meant about the pop machine...

So any news? Since page 17 :p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/
Good news, I emailed Tycho of Penny Arcade about this. I seriously doubt he'll read it.. I tried to make it short. Ah well. Hopefully it'll make for a funny comic. ^^ I <3 PA.
I'll think of a siggie later..

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
He sounds condescending to the dedicated fan base that has kept Freespace alive for five years. If anything, he should have done the reverse and ackowledged the imprtance of places like HLP (not just for Freespace, for any game). Without mods, HalfLife would have 1/5th of the fame and Valve would have 1/5th of the money it does right now.

Seriously, no one is better qualified to comment a game than its fans, and the fact that he pissed all over HLP is one of the main reasons I've got it in for him.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
TopAce, by definition, as long as long as it uses the FS2 'Engine' it is a clone, it's like FireWarrior, which, I believe, is a Halo Clone.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Setekh
the actions by the HLP crew (not all of them of course)

He has some nerves saying that, after I don't know how many comments on how the HLP folks are retarded fanboys.
Ah well, the important fact is that he stated that he'd let the SCP dudes alone, the rest I don't care. If he does get the license, let see if he can keep true to his words.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Originally posted by aldo_14
In other words, develop a game for Battlecruiser fans, yet with a name that actually means something in the internet.

Why am I hearing "MoO3" in my head?
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Zarax

Rictor, i'm sorry but i think it's unfair to say to from you...
There is plenty (or at least it used to be) of good developers around, and with [V] scripts plus some community feedback they can do a great work...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Crazy_Ivan80

Why am I hearing "MoO3" in my head?

Because you live next to a farm?

:p

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
:lol:
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
as long as it is set in the FS universe it's a clone

being on the same engine doesn't make it a clone
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
TopAce, by definition, as long as long as it uses the FS2 'Engine' it is a clone, it's like FireWarrior, which, I believe, is a Halo Clone.

I nieither know FireWarrior nor Halo, if they are two different games, they are clones. But FSO and FS2 are the same game, just one of them is the 'uberized' one.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Rictor
He sounds condescending to the dedicated fan base that has kept Freespace alive for five years. If anything, he should have done the reverse and ackowledged the imprtance of places like HLP (not just for Freespace, for any game). Without mods, HalfLife would have 1/5th of the fame and Valve would have 1/5th of the money it does right now.

Seriously, no one is better qualified to comment a game than its fans, and the fact that he pissed all over HLP is one of the main reasons I've got it in for him.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is an act of over-reaction or ignorance (not him being ignorant; they're distinct). Think about it - what person in their right mind would ever do something like this if they knew what was at stake? You wouldn't, would you? Yet many of us have been slightly guilty of doing similar things ourselves- things that people in their right minds would not do - like antagonising members from another forum of the same community (the FS community). We're over-reacting, I think he is too - nothing more.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
No, I didn't mean that the community should develop the game, I meant that they should be consulted. And if 95% of gamers, all fans, say that you should not make it, then thats a pretty clear signal. He is not trusted, and if anyone is going to make FS3, he ought to be very trusted. better nothing than a bad sequel.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Quite frankly, I'd just like us to throw it into the SCP big time now. I just read through that thread again. I need a shower :(

You know, we could always wait until it's released, and if it gets a really poor review just Email the magazines and say 'We've got our own version of a sequel, and the code has been developed in exactly the same way as Freespace 2 was.'

If it gets a good review, then fine, we had fun :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 12:52:48 pm by 394 »

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Originally posted by aldo_14

Because you live next to a farm?

It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
A 'clone' game would be depicted as one which had the same gameplay as another.  I.e. Firewarrior - IIRc - had the same basic look & 2 gun dynamic as Halo, etc.

Of course, there's a difference when it comes to sequels.  Whilst no-one would want the same game remade & resold, neither would you want or expect the gameplay to be totally changed.

I wouldn't say the community should be consulted so much as listened to. i.e. the same basic feedback you'd want from a beta test  - the advantage of any existing fanbase is the range of opinions towards the weaknesses & strengths of the game / series.  

One of the main examples I'd point to is GTA:Vice City - Rockstar invited and implemented many suggestions from the fans of GTA3, and this led to one of the best & most succesful games of all time.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Not to mention Relic, who not only accept fans, but have built an entire department around helping modders.

Ever wondered why they are Big-League?

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Tiara

What are we waiting for? Seriously, a community wide project in conjunction with the SCP could be a major success. Especially since we don't ask gamers to pay for it. the right media coverage et all would make for a pretty damned good game. We have the talent, so I ask you: Why not?

Because nobody will never agree on the plot. I know I won't, I have my own ideas. I know it's the same for everybody. Would I do concessions on the plot, I'd work on it only half-heartedly.
I'm sorry, but FS3? I'd rather use Ferrium and do my own campaign, with my own ideas. A TC, this time, because, as the arrogant french bastard than I am, I consider my own scifi universe ( on which I've worked on for at least half a dozen years now ) superior. So between making a bastardized FS3 from scratch and doing my own thing? There's no question.
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Not to mention Relic, who not only accept fans, but have built an entire department around helping modders.

Ever wondered why they are Big-League?

Well, mod support is vital for most, if not all, AAA games.  The only exception is maybe the cross-platform games, i.e. those originally developed to use more arcane, non PC native, file types & whatnot.

Just look at  the success of both Epic (UT) and Valve (HL) in this respect.  It's obvious you'd be an idiot to ignore or obstruct modders, because it only hurts longevity of your titles.  And, of course, it also forces developers to make true advancements for sequels - because otherwise the fans will do the same through mods.