Author Topic: The Next Great Starship - SC Contest  (Read 8872 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: The Next Great Starship - SC Contest
I thought I was clear, I wasn't speaking about the proper behavior of an empoyee. I was talking about the proper environment an employer must create around himself.
Not very clear to me. To me it reads like you think in your post that yes-men environments are a mythical thing. Like they aren't real.
I take it now that is not what you meant?
FWIW I took it in a similar way, I thought it was like he was saying they had been stamped out now, and everyone is free to question their boss.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
1. Use regular font colour like the rest of the forum ya doofus
2. I don't give a **** who's call it is. This is a discussion forum, I'm giving my opinion.  I'm not suggest that you or any other individual can't present their opinion so why are you calling into question the right or place to present mine?

Back. The ****. Off. In this thread, you have consistently argued in an completely over-the-top aggressive manner. You have made your points (several times over, in fact), and now you're participating in a debate. That means that you are expected to behave in a civil manner, and that includes not calling people "doofus" (even if I personally would rate that a rather mild insult).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

You don't see an issue with it because you're not an artist.  You're a hobbyist.

This is not the attitude of the artist, it is the attitude of a professional craftsman. Do not speak of things which you manifestly do not understand. Artistry is the act of creation and divorced from anything unrelated to said act.

That sounds like another way of saying that people should create art because they love it and not because they should get paid for it.

Back. The ****. Off. In this thread, you have consistently argued in an completely over-the-top aggressive manner. You have made your points (several times over, in fact), and now you're participating in a debate. That means that you are expected to behave in a civil manner, and that includes not calling people "doofus" (even if I personally would rate that a rather mild insult).

Are you expected to behave in a civil manner in your capacity as moderator because telling someone to "back the **** off" is a complete and utter failure.

Okay, I really don't want to get into this thread, it took a bad turn and is becoming toxic at lightspeed in my opinion. I'll just quickly drop my opinion regarding one thing Akalabeth Angel said.

According to your view, you hate that lesser artists take a chance at improving themselves and creating art and making a name for themselves through this contest. It's a very negative and elitist view in my eyes. Which becomes puzzling to me because you are saying it here, on HLP. A site dedicated towards modding and indirectly promoting a video game made by a studio that no longer even profits form it now a days as the publisher now holds all rights to the franchise. Interplay keeps making cheap money without having to put any work whatsoever into the Freespace franchise because of this community. The people who actually made this game don't even get a dime out of it anymore. All their sweat and blood had dried up, it is us who keep this game going, it is us who encourage Interplay to exploit the fans of the products they publish. It is esarai, Aesaar, Hades, Oddgrim, Goober, niffiwan, The E and everyone else who makes any mods, models, audio, special effects or coding who, from what I understand from your view, are damaging all artists everywhere.

No I don't hate the artists I hate that a company is asking people to do free work for them with the slim hopes of getting paid.
I also dislike the fact that said company is creating a game based on backer dollars and is using that same money for said-contest.

Like they're having a contest, which requires people to work for free, and as prize money they're using money that was given to them on faith to create a game. It's the height of hubris to throw other people's money around like that when it's been given to you for an express purpose.

And so are the people who enter these contests! Your perspective seems to be that there are no circumstances where this is okay. So, in your ideal world, if I'm a passionate SC fan who also happens to be a talented amateur modeler but not a professional artist, well, too bad, my work can never go into the game ever under any circumstances. Is it the prize that bothers you? They would still be getting all of these "ideas" that bother you so much if there was no prize but the fun of seeing your ship in Star Citizen and they'd probably still get tonnes of entries.

What bothers me is that a professional company is asking artists to do a ton of free work for what is basically a taste of that company's table scraps. And adding insult to injury but the table scraps are from a meal that the company didn't prepare themselves, it was money given to them for the promise of a game.

Contests like these have been around for decades -

The fact that the work of artists has been undervalued for decades doesn't make it okay to perpetuate it.

The benefit to the company isn't in the actual individual entires/entrants; it's in the buzz that the competition creates, and they are paying for that, well beyond the cost of the prize pool. You think that that youtube video was shot, mixed, directed and edited by a volunteer? You think the woman presenting it didn't get paid? Of course not. The company is paying for the contest in all sorts of ways to generate marketting buzz - it's no different from their perspective than running TV ads.

Paying for it with whose money?

Look, if they were sourcing their entire asset base this way, then maybe (maybe) you'd have a point. But as it stands, with one ship getting added to the game this way, those five or six people you're talking about - they're still getting paid. And locking everyone (amateurs and professionals alike) of a fun little contest like this, preventing them from engaging with a game that has excited people like very few others in recent memory just because the professional artistic community don't appear to enjoy the competition is petty.

And what about the other 195 or more artists that did dozens or hundreds of hours of work and didn't get anything for it?

Oh, and as for the rules about personal attacks, you may not care about them, but they are being enforced. Play the ball (people's opinions), not the man.
[/quote]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We're done here. If you can't understand what "civil debate" means (and no, it does not mean debate free of strong language), then this thread is over.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Well. This was interesting to read. Naturally, some posts got reported. And what a mess. Fact of the matter is, plenty of GOOD points got made in this thread. Which is a shame, since I think they'll get missed in the over all tone and attitudes that took place amongst many sides during the course of the conversation.

I'm going to to basically wash this whole thing off right where it stands, with this thread locked. I certainly hope that a moderately less frictional conversation on this subject manages to take place though. I've got some PM's to send out addressing some things. If you don't get one, then you've got nothing to worry about. And even if you do get one, you probably don't have anything to worry about.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys