Author Topic: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines  (Read 50579 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines
Also, Pecenipicek, way ahead of ya on the customization front, dat Whammy has been a thorn in my eye for a while(and not because it's a whammy) so i decided to DO something about it.
:yes: :yes:
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
The main thing is we've been *winning* engagements for the most part, right? Also, if I'm parsing the reports properly, our losses aren't too terrible- it's worth remembering that we are fighting a Clan after all. We've got extra cash and equipment, and so long as nobody's getting killed (RIP Dragon and your Atlas), we can probably soak quite a bit of loss. Not saying that we should, but it's probably prudent to keep some perspective here.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, it's my understanding that the weapons are installed in pods, then the pods are installed onto omnimechs and omnivehicles.

And equipment (JJs, BAP/GECM, TAG, ammo, targeting computers even count as pod-based gear IIRC). However if you read up more on it and some of the modifications (like a pair of actuators disappearing when certain weapons are mounted on the arm), it becomes clear that Omnis are a lot more modular than even that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

The Man O' War however, is prime repair material! Granted, it needs a NEW gyro to replace the one Trashman effectively nuked with his dual UAC5s and it's awesome TAC abilities(seriously, Round 2, 4 shots from these things, all TACs). According to MekHQ, Gyros aren't restricted to either IS or Clan(regular Gyros that is) and i'm just going to shell out the 1.2M to replace it, i reckon that sum of cash justifies the oddity of just stuffing an IS built Gyro into a Clan unit, yay interchangeability!

Bad news is that Trashman got ammo racked and we lost the Rifleman.

Am I dead or in the hospital again?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Patriot

Yup, hospital. :P

Offline Patriot

Ok boys, update time.

It's January 3051 and 1st Company is about to rip the Wolf forces a new one, i hope.
In 3 separate battles, 1st, 2nd and 3rd lance have to engage the Wolves in tricky conditions, 1st in a light snowfall in -3 degrees Celsius, 2nd in a bit of light rain in 7 degrees Celsius and 3rd is lucky, they get sunshine and 23 degrees, fighting on the equator and all.

The Man O' War is operational, save for 2 shots of the UAC20 that we're missing, and i assigned it to Sparda, handing his Marauder to a no-name in 4th Lance, which is technically under pecenipicek's command, though he doesn't have the rank at the moment(need xp to get the skills).

Also, i'm not going to have the clans deploy 2 tanks for each point in a star, MegaMek doesn't like it as i've tried it in the previous battle. That kept crashing and i had to reload it several times. MM just went, nope, not even when you divide em up under 4 bots.
Sorry Scotty, i just can't get it to work smoothly :(

Oh sweet, new tanks! And a replacement Manticore! <3

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ammo-based weapons start to look more and more like liability. Especially when considering their weight compared to laser weapons. (even counting heat sinks)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Ammo-based weapons start to look more and more like liability. Especially when considering their weight compared to laser weapons. (even counting heat sinks)
there is nothing quite as fun as rummaging up to a mech, while toting 2 LBX-10's.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

You're fighting three constraints: heat, tonnage, and slots. DHS eat one of those like mad. Remember that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Going by MW4, a single heat sink is 1 ton. A heavy laser is 4 tons. A Gauss Canon is 13. AUC 10 is ... 10 tons?

So far I've been getting better mileage out of various lasers than cannons. They eat so much tonnange it's not even funny.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
by heavy laser I presume you are talking large laser which generally I hate, prefering a PPC for long range energy
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Large_Laser
Code: [Select]
Heat 8
Damage 8
Minimum Range n/a
Short Range 1-5
Medium Range 6-10
Long Range 11-15
Tons 5
Critical Slots 2
Ammo Per Ton n/a
Cost (unloaded) 100,000
Ammo Cost (per ton) n/a
BV (1.0) 124
BV (2.0) 123[1]

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gauss_Rifle
Heat 1
Damage 15
Minimum Range 2
Short Range 1-7
Medium Range 8-15
Long Range 16-22
Tons Clan = 12
IS = 15

Critical Slots Clan = 6
IS = 7 Proto = 8[2]

Ammo Per Ton 8
Cost (unloaded) 300,000
Ammo Cost (per ton) 20,000
BV (1.0) 321
BV (2.0) 320[3]
40 (Ammo)[3]

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Autocannon/10
Heat 3
Damage 10
Minimum Range N/A
Short Range 1-5
Medium Range 6-10
Long Range 11-15
Extreme Range 16-20
Tons 12
Critical Slots 7
Ammo Per Ton 10
Cost (unloaded) 200,000
Ammo Cost (per ton) 6,000
BV (1.0) 124
BV (2.0) 123[1]
15 (Ammo)[1]

though if you are looking at long range combat you are usually looking at an AC/2 or AC/5 at the heaviest
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Autocannon/5
Heat 1
Damage 5
Minimum Range 3
Short Range 1-6
Medium Range 7-12
Long Range 13-18
Tons 8
Critical Slots 4
Ammo Per Ton 20
Cost (unloaded) 125,000
Ammo Cost (per ton) 4,500
BV (1.0) 70
BV (2.0) 70[1]
9 (Ammo)[1]

and for completeness
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Particle_Projector_Cannon
Heat 10
Damage 10
Minimum Range 3
Short Range 1-6
Medium Range 7-12
Long Range 13-18
Tons 7
Critical Slots 3
Ammo Per Ton N/A
Cost (unloaded) 200,000[1]
Ammo Cost (per ton) N/A
BV (1.0) 176
BV (2.0) 176[2]

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/LRM-20
Heat 6
Damage 1/Missile (20)
Minimum Range Clan = N/A
IS = 6

Short Range 1-7
Medium Range 8-14
Long Range 15-21
Tons Clan = 5
IS = 10

Critical Slots Clan = 4
IS = 5

Ammo Per Ton 6
Cost (unloaded) 250,000
Ammo Cost (per ton) 30,000
BV (1.0) Clan = 220
IS = 181

BV (2.0) Clan = 220[1]
27 (Ammo)[1]
IS = 181[2]
23 (Ammo)[2]

and because no discussions about BT weapons is complete without it
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Medium_Laser
Heat 3
Damage 5
Minimum Range n/a
Short Range 1-3
Medium Range 4-6
Long Range 7-9
Tons 1
Mass 500 kg
Critical Slots 1
Space Slots 3
Cost (unloaded) 40,000
BV (1.0) 46
BV (2.0) 46[1]
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Given that difference between AC5 and AC10 is just 18 vs 15 (on long range) i can't really see how one would be a long range weapon while other wouldn't be - especially if you include LL (with range of 15) to the comparison. AC2 is however long range sniper rifle, well, nuisance rifle rather than sniper rifle.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Going by MW4, a single heat sink is 1 ton. A heavy laser is 4 tons. A Gauss Canon is 13. AUC 10 is ... 10 tons?

So far I've been getting better mileage out of various lasers than cannons. They eat so much tonnange it's not even funny.

Double heat sinks eat slots, IS versions consume 3 each vs 1 slot for normal heat sinks (and both normal & double heat sinks weigh 1 ton each).  IMHO, energy weapon heavy designs are generally slot starved rather than weight starved.  Don't get me wrong, I love energy zombie mechs, but the other weapons can be really useful, especially once you have CASE to partially mitigate the problem of lucky ammo explosions blowing your mechs sky high.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Given that IS mechs with XL engines have three crits in both side torsos and that CASE only prevents damage from spreading to next section of the mech its utility on IS mechs is, to put it politely, limited.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you have an XL engine sure, but refer to my comment about zombie mechs above :D

Having said that, in MekHQ I believe that a destroyed side torso (with XL engine) still leaves the mech repairable, which is not the case for most mechs that suffer an ammo explosion without CASE (unless you're super lucky to have so little ammo left that it doesn't destroy the centre torso)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
MEh. Makes no sense to me personally.

Larger caliber = shorter range? Since when?
That's probably why artillery guns are low-caliber and why pistols outrange sniper rifles.... oh wait, they don't! Actually they do in the MW universe. Balance (I guess. It's a crappy way to balance things)

Bullets exploding when hit? Maybe, if they are HE bullets or missiles and they are hit by a HE or incendiery. Otherwise? Very unlikely. And impossible when talking about gauss/rail/coilguns. They have no propellant.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Bullets exploding when hit? Maybe, if they are HE bullets or missiles and they are hit by a HE or incendiery. Otherwise? Very unlikely. And impossible when talking about gauss/rail/coilguns. They have no propellant.

Yes, and GR slugs don't explode when hit. I don't know where you're coming from with ammunition explosions being so improbable, it's something that even happens in modern armored combat. Primer is already designed to detonate because of some percussive force, and the powder/fuel isn't supposed to be much more difficult to ignite. :p

Offline Patriot

Yes, and GR slugs don't explode when hit. I don't know where you're coming from with ammunition explosions being so improbable, it's something that even happens in modern armored combat. Primer is already designed to detonate because of some percussive force, and the powder/fuel isn't supposed to be much more difficult to ignite. :p

You forget to educate the man on the fact that even Gauss Rifles can suffer splosions, the weapon itself in this case.

And the sourcebooks for Table Top explain why bigger damage rating = less range. An AC/20 can be of lower caliber than an AC/5 for instance, the rate of fire determining the damage per 10 seconds(which is 1 round of combat)

And while i'm here, i'll give an update on them three battles i talked about.

1st's battle went ok-ish. IronBeer lost his Thunderbolt, so i placed him in the Stalker i bought at the beginning of the month. No salvage worthy of mentioning, just a tank or two to strip some armor and weapons off of.

2nd's battle went much better, though Hobbie's Kintaro exploded, it didn't die(CASE baby, CASE) and he proceeded to rape the ****er who cooked off his ammo. The only one from our Lance to get kills too, he downed a Puma and a Vindicator. Victory was declared when our friendly FRR Hunchback shot his third enemy in the face, then exploding in a great ball of fire from the return fire in the same round. Again, no salvage that didn't involve stripping a husk down of valuables.

3rd's battle was MUCH more interesting, as they drew the short straw and had to go up against an Assault Star. The RNG decided to mitigate it's *****yness by doing the Unit weights within this Star as 1 Med, 2 Heavies and 2 Assaults. The only survivor was the Medium, stupid Vipers way too fast for us to catch up xD. But hey, everyone scored a kill. We salvaged a Hellbringer and a Cataphract(the only IS unit they had, the Assaults were a Man O War and an Executioner) but they turned up as strippable only, sadly enough.

The week after these battles, 5th Lance had a battle with a Single Heavy Star, the RNG did not favor the Clanners, rolling three IS mechs and 2 Clan Omnimechs. These Omni's were a Summoner C and a Timber Wolf Prime. 6th Lance was available for reinforcements, though they were hardly needed and could hardly do a thing in the first place, as the battlefield was split up in a particularly wide river, over which our Griffin and StarSlayer's Wolverine could jump, Trashman and the no-name Wolverine+ had to wade through water, which went without trouble.
Trashman gets credit for a Timber Wolf kill and an enemy Archer and our Griffin took out the enemy Griffin. Both are salvaged and are repairable, though it will take some time before the Timber Wolf is operational again, needing extensive repairs including a reinstallation and repair to the engine after Trashman first TAC'd the CT with an engine hit and promptly destroying the Right Torso, killing it by engine "destruction", lucky for us. The Griffin also needs extensive repairs, but as it is an IS unit it's not much of an issue, only the PPC was an issue, but it turned out we had a spare one left over from the Cataphract that was recovered from 3rd's battle the previous week.
More of note is that Deathfun has netted his third Mech kill(and Scourge and the crew by extension) in the form of the Summoner C, which we weren't able to salvage due to contract clauses.

In this same week we had another Aero Pilot, this time a Regular skill coming with it's own Light Aero Fighter. As a houserule i'm treating the recruitment of Aerospace pilots similarly to the recruitment of MechWarriors in the sense that they get to roll for bringing their own fighter in as well. Difference being that they can't bring a Heavy into the mix, as ASFs only have 3 classes(though they still get up to 100 tonnes) it wouldn't be fair. This means that in the table for it(and Scotty ought to have had experience with this) the chances of a Medium is shifted to an 11 and a 12 on a 2d6 and the chance of a Light is increased with filling in the 10th result on the table.

As i don't have a Faction Assignment file for ASFs, i've chosen to adopt a standard fighter for the weightclasses, the Sabre being the one for Light and the Stingray for the Medium class. Both aren't available in another variant as they're either SL tech or have botched images(which i fear will make the game crash when used). In any case, i hope this isn't giving us too much power. Also, for a new houserule on the use of ASFs save for putting them in a strafe run is have them delay a lance/star for 12Rounds-WalkMP of the slowest unit in it.

And right now we get to do another SL Cache mission, this time a Royal Assault, in the form of a HGN-732b. If it's intact, we get it :D

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Explosions don't kill me. They only make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

So what does this mean? Do I need a new mech or something? 'Cause if so, I want that Highlander. :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.