Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 307082 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
It's nice to see that people can talk about this here in a civilised fashion. I've seen this come up so many times elsewhere, and it devolves into some of the most venomous dialogue. People reacting like you insulted their mother or something. And it always in my experience comes from the subs over dubs crowd. I've even seen it for Dynasty Warriors games. Does anyone have any insight into why they react like that?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Does anyone have any insight into why they react like that?

The extremist Sub>Dub group are essentially purists and react violently to anything that defiles the purity of the work.
I lean towards that side myself, tbh, though I won't berate people for choosing dubs. (I'll just make a mental note that you're an uncultured barbarian :P ... okay, I jest, I jest)

Then again, this is mostly because how I am now, it's no "language I don't understand" vs. "language I understand" anymore, its "language I understand less" (with subtitles and notes) vs, "language I understand more" with no fallbacks (putting the subs up here, which don't match what's being said, is even more confusing). In such cases I find it vastly easier to understand the former over the latter. I routinely miss things in verbal conversation in tongues I grew up speaking (this is bad, I know - I go 'pardon?' a lot), so I find being able to refer to text in those cases is very helpful. Additionally, I get to be immersed in more or less 'the intended experience', with voice talent that I'm familiar with, so it's a no brainer why I go for subs. On the plus side, listening then reading subs (hopefully accurate) is also a good way to grasp colloquial usage of terms, vocabulary etc. if you have good subs, but this is assuming you actually have the slightest interest in actually learning said language.

That, and I can't stand to wait for years for things to be dubbed. How am I supposed to follow and discuss this season's shows with my buddies that way?

But enough about me; I can totally understand why some people, such as those with much better auditory comprehension skill, like dubs more though.

On another note, next season looks promising.
http://randomc.net/2013/09/18/fall-2013-preview/

Following From Start (Probably):
Kyoukai no Kanata
Kill la Kill
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio ~Ars Nova~
Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd Season

Maybes:
Unbreakable Machine-doll
Log Horizon
IS-2 (no, not the soviet WW2 tank)

What about you guys?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:46:16 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Breaking Bad might just become the best thing ever put on TV if it keeps this up and nails the ending.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Right?

AMC is playing the entire series from episode one until the finale starting at 8 pm EST on Wednesday and running until the last episode premiers at 9 pm EST on Sunday.  It's four solid days of literally nothing but Breaking Bad, for great justice.

Tonight's episode was excellent, but I still say that Ozymandias (last week's episode) was probably the best episode of any TV show yet aired.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't know that I'll ever get around to watching the show, because honestly live-action TV series never manage to hold my attention very well, but just the bits I've seen from my brothers watching it were enough for me to see why it gets that much acclaim.  Hopefully the ending will do it justice.

you don't actually think either one of us is going to change our opinion here do you?
Nah, but I at least like to try correcting misconceptions so that we're all arguing based on pure opinion. :p

Offline watsisname

I am just so happy they finally got the Emmy for Best Drama Series.  Holy **** do they deserve it.

Also still recovering from the meeting between Todd and Andrea.  Jeez. :(
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
in a whim i decided to download star trek the animated series, which ive heard about but never actually seen. its actually pretty good.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I've been watching Attack on Titan...

And while I'm enjoying it, I just found out that the manga is ongoing.

That means there's next to no chance the anime is actually going to finish the storyline! Damn it! :sigh:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Already seen femme forms bum. So already peaked.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Disappointed that that's it for the foreseeable future.

The only response I have to the last episode is.... 0.0

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Rewatching Darker Than Black with friends that haven't seen it before. Having almost as much fun watching their reactions as rewatching the (excellent) series.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Oh, hey, new Index volume is out!

Spoiler:
So the world ended. What now?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, Legend of Korra seems to be hitting its stride now. Let's see how they continue it.

Person of Interest started its third Season. Opener was pretty good at reestablishing the themes and giving us more Root, which is always a good thing. Also, sidenote, I want Amy Acker and Sarah Shahi in everything.

Agents of SHIELD started. The pilot was very uneven; the only reason it didn't fail completely is Clark Gregg, here's hoping that the actual episodes fix a few of the pilot's failures.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

i watched it intermittently for about ten minutes and the dialogue was just too smarmy
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline watsisname

Oh damn, I forgot Legend of Korra's second season started this month.

Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple.  A no-brainer when the ads for it promise martial arts... and boobs!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I'm about a quarter of the way through Fairy Tail, and I'm not sure if I want to continue.

Do they ever stop treating torture and attempted murder like some sort of childish prank?  Everything else aside, that **** is really pissing me off.

Offline watsisname

Goodbye Walter White.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'm tempted to put spoiler tags on that for you.

Better: Goodbye Breaking Bad.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Still digesting it, but.... A solid ending.

It felt like it was missing something, though.

Definitely one of the best television series ever made.