Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 307148 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
:) Nope. Also I hate that song btw.

Heresy! Blasphemy!

Zeta's not very good, though, and that stems entirely from its terrible characters. You have Char pretending to be human, Kamille is a vaguely humanoid bundle of rage who ended up on the right side by pure chance after he stole a giant robot to terrorize people with, Reccoa setting back feminism by decades all on her own, Katz being a complete moron, and we're left Bright, Apolly, and Emma Sheen as people who are actually worthy of some respect. And Emma's a walking talking demonstration of Tomino's misogyny, explicitly rejecting femininity to become the only respectable female pilot in the series and then going out like a goddamn moron.

Amuro's lost his self-confidence and declares a truce with Char mainly because he thinks he's not mentally able to fight him (note how quickly Amuro leaves the series once he starts to regain his confidence), Hayato's pretty much the only guy on the planet Earth with his head screwed on straight, Beltorchika is a rare female who knows what she wants and sets out to get it so Tomino was compelled to make her completely unlikeable, and for some reason the series wasn't about Kai Shiden, Secret Agent which was a terrible mistake.

On the other side you have Scirocco the Supernatural Pickup Artist, Yazan who despite his reputation really doesn't do anything of note until the second-to-last episode save manage to be a completely contemptible excuse for a human being and a teamkilling prick, Bask Om who is so incredibly and obviously damaged that it's inexcusable he has an actual military command, Four who's a complete doormat for the Titans without any evidence what they're offering her is even possible and destroys Hong Kong because of it, and Jerrid who's actually okay until he rapidly starts sliding down the slippery slope after Kamille kills his girl and his mentor. Oh and Reccoa's still over here setting back feminism. Again.

Pretty much the only show with a more unlikeable cast in the Gundam sequence is Stardust Memory, and the only one that manages to be more painfully sexist is AGE.

ZZ has genuinely the best villains in the franchise with Haman Kharn and Glemy Toto, a selection of competent female pilots on both sides who aren't **** on in some way by the director, and everything that looks silly in the beginning...really isn't by the end. Mashmyre thinks he's in a fantasy romance; see where he ends up.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:42:12 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I will have to watch the two back to back to get an honest grasp of my opinion on the two shows. Since it has been a few years since I watched Zeta.

And... I do not really think Haman is a very good villain, either. I have read CDA btw.

I will admit, the cast of Zeta did annoy me at first but they kind of grew on me. They actually seem like a family by the end. I also like the MS designs in Zeta much more than all of the MS in ZZ.

But my favourite series so far seems to be either 0080, Victory or Unicorn. My favourite manga seems to be currently Gundam Crossbone:Steel 7 or Were Federation Hooligans.

... MSG:S7 made me feel man. I am also waiting for them to finish fan translating Ghost.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Overlord, Monster Musume, Non Non Biyori. Gatchaman Crowds Insight.

Those are the new titles I added to my playlist on this season.
Habeeb it...

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I will be watching the Live-Action Gundam movie tonight or tomorrow: G-Savior.

I have been told that on the one hand, it's a B-movie at best, but on the other, it has a few incredible ideas, and have seen repeated praise for its final battle. (Beamsaber duel on a colony mirror surface. I have to admit, that sounds pretty cool.)

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Anyways, I watched G-Saviour and never commented on it. I should do that. G-Saviour was a 20th anniversary Gundam movie. Live-action, made in Canada. I can hear you screaming "NOOOOO" already. Hush, children, while I tell you about it via a fixed-up breakdown of my thoughts as I posted elsewhere.

The opening pan of the movie shows us...a colony cluster, in visual range, with individual colonies ACTUALLY ROTATING. And you know, I've waited my entire Gundam fan existence for this shot. It was ****ing worth it, late '90s CGI or not.

But then we get what I swear is a lost opening to a SeaQuest DSV episode, and honestly that's a crossover I could get behind. Nathan Bridger and Bright Noah teamup. Plasma torpdoes, 50% charge, let's bust some Z'Goks.

Apparently I shouldn't say that, as what I presume to be our main character is piloting what seems to be a cross between a Z'Gok and a JIM suit. Honestly it doesn't look bad, and I kind of like it. (Seriously though this whole underwater sequence I'm waiting for like the edge of the SeaQuest to poke in or a WHSKR to sneak through the background of a shot. This is so SeaQuest-like it hurts.) After our obligatory opening action scene the movie continues briskly through introducing who I presume will be our villain and also...

...****ing really? Those Starship Troopers armors? Those have been in everything. They were on Power Rangers for chrissakes. Also come on man, you're on Earth, don't tell me you don't know about the Antarctic Treaty and how it deals with surrender.

We get a flashback/nightmare to when our protagonist piloted mobile suits in combat presumably, but it doesn't last. Now they're on land, and a scene with his girlfriend, and a party, and then an interview, and then somebody kills a prison guard and blames it on our lead and then our people go down the chute from the morgue and land in a pile of bodyparts and medical waste and this scene should be way the hell bloodier and they should probably freak out a little more. Yes, he's a vet, but he's a mobile suit vet. That's a little cleaner than being line infantry, y'know?

Incidentally, this has more black people in it than probably the entirety of the rest of the Gundam franchise.

More people show up, resistance types I guess, also interns for the doctor. The uniforms of the faction in charge of Earth are a weird kind of half-Zeon half-Feddie thing, they've got the Zeon little "bib" part outlined in gold braid, but not actually separate, and the Federation's red collars, but they're navy blue or black overall because Nazi Germany I guess.

And now we get a mobile suit on the move again. Two of them. They're moving fairly slow, but it's not a bad scene if they're at a walk. It also demonstrates, contrary to the usual claims about this movie, that the suits involved are actually more advanced than Mobile Suit Victory Gundam-era ones. These suits may not have panoramic cockpits or Wings of Light or crap, but they ARE capable of atmospheric flight under thruster power alone AND can survive reentry without complex mode-changing systems. The former is something only a few UC suits, mainly modified Goufs, ever achieved. Even the Victory had to cheat with its Minovsky systems. The latter is something only expensive transformation system-equipped ones managed, but here the average mook suit can.

As for the suits themselves, they look surprisingly like a GINN from Gundam SEED, and as for the scene of them in motion I'm heavily reminded of the FMVs for MechWarrior 4 as well.

The shuttle design for the shuttle our characters hijack, on the other hand, looks awful and moves too slowly.

The colony shot of Side Four's New Manhattan makes up for it, and now we get...

IT'S A GUNDAM. They called it the G-C or something, though. And now our villains are putting on the Reich extra super special hard. Our protagonist got drummed out of the army for saving one of his buddies when their suit malfunctioned. Honestly the whole thing sounds pretty stupid, it was apparently an open-space rescue during an exercise, there was no logical reason to order him not to save the guy. It was apparently done out of sheer dickishness.

And now they call it G-Saviour. Okay movie, titular suit's first flight. Impress me.

...The cockpit impresses me as actually looking way more like I'd expect a cockpit to look than any other Gundam cockpit. He's got a beam rifle, plus a gun on the other arm. Beamsaber too, not sure where it's stored.

Side Eight, Gaea, interior of an Island Three, bloody gorgeous. The colony's been hacked, though, and it's the girlfriend's fault, so the colony's anti-debris defense systems are responding to a baddie destroyer as a valid target. Frankly that we've never seen a colony with these before doesn't bother me since it makes sense they'd have 'em. The destroyer is hit, but it doesn't look too bad on the surface. The bad guys are happy about it now since they've just got an excuse to send in the mobile suits.

Main character discovers girlfriend is pulling a Katejina and getting the whole colony killed just so she and him can go home and live happily ever after. Well, it was Gundam, I suppose it had to have SOME moment where a woman acts crazy and irrational.

Wait, is that Starbuck powering up a mobile suit? Holy crap, this movie's heavy on the crossovers. Okay, Gaea just launched mobile suits. They look...pretty GM-like, honestly. They don't look bad. And scratch several. They don't die like GMs though. They're completely ineffectual at first; outdated, not professional pilots; or at least not professional combat pilots. It's not as curbstompy as Gundam Unicorn could be, because despite their failure to score kills not too many of them are actually dying and a lot of them are still their dogfighting when the G-Savior deploys. Most of them that die, maybe all, seem to be the result of the primary villain's direct action. I should also note that very few people just take a hit and explode in this movie; it takes repeated hits to stop even mook suits a lot of the time.

And now we get the primary villain's suit. We're running a little Alpha Azieru, a little Jagd Doga, and a little Sazabi. It's not a bad look, really.

The G-Saviour finds your mass-production models crunchy, and good with ketchup. A couple of GINNs (not really but they look it) invade the colony and interpret their orders to "secure the settlement" as "shoot up random ****", while Betrayal Girlfriend continues to Betray.

I refrained from calling that a beam shield, it seemed ephemeral, but apparently it was. The bad guy definitely has one. So now we get down to it, and for one of the few times in Gundam history, we have a reason why the good guy accepts a beamsaber duel: bad guy cut his gun in half when he went for a "block with the shield, shoot him" technique.

And our climatic duel will, in fact, take place on a colony mirror. And the big bad's historical reference is incredibly stupid. (Caesar? Selective starvation? What?) One of the GM-alikes actually gets a kill here, in the background. Guess they're learning fast Bad guy has...shoulder vulcans? They seem very widely spaced, like they're on the shoulder tips. Okay that's new. Bad guy suit doesn't die, just gets cut up; multiple hostiles turn up only for friendly reinforcements to arrive as well.

The general big bad takes a Gaean ship because he's dumb, and doesn't tell anyone BECAUSE HE'S REALLY DUMB. We get a nice fight inside the colony with the G-Saviour having converted for atmospheric flight briefly, but it's over way too soon.

Big Bad does Big No, gets killed by own side BECAUSE HE IS ULTRA DUMB.

Trite wrapup.

So, that was G-Saviour. What's my opinion on it?

Within the confines of the budget, they made a good movie. The complaints I've usually heard about its mobile suit action are bluntly garbage; no, the suits aren't animated slowly, we simply see them move slowly in a few noncombat scenes early in the movie. When it comes to the actual combat later on, they move relatively quickly yet with enough weight to preserve the idea they're giant robots.

The movie has a surprisingly quick pace that serves it well by giving the audience no time to dwell on its faults. It lacks focus on the mobile suit aspects, which is to its detriment; they're some of the best parts of the movie. The actors' performances are not perfect but they are far better than might be expected from the movie's reputation, with only the Big Bad (played by veteran character actor Kenneth Welsh) turning in a genuinely poor performance. At least part of that is simply because he's very badly explained, switching from seemingly-reasonable to Jamitov-is-my-role-model about midway through the movie for no adequately explained reason and to little purpose. It didn't add much. We could have just had the colonel be evil on his own.

The effects were genuinely pretty good for a 2000 movie, and the mobile suit design is genuinely excellent; a good, solid gut-check towards mobile suits looking like giant war machines over the tendency to visually busy and durability-questionable designs more recent series have tended to drop at times. (Or all the time.) The battle scenes are actually much better realized mobile suit combat than many of the animated series were probably capable of, with a real sense of motion and plenty of maneuvering. Nobody stands still and gets shot; they take hits because they didn't evade, but at the same time they're not just sitting still and getting blasted either like in most of the anime series. They're moving around and firing and engaging targets, and one of this movie's crowning triumphs is the fact that most of the people who take hits and die do so for an immediately obvious reason besides "they're a complete moron and not moving"; they were staring into the sunglare and didn't see it coming, they were chasing another target and got bushwhacked by someone outside that fight, or they were just way too outclassed on every level.

So is this a good movie? Not really. It's got a lot of little flaws that collectively weight it down. I've only mentioned a few, but there are others: the main character comes off as a bit of an impulsive asshole, though more likable than most. The villain is decidedly one-note and spouts cliches at odd moments; the big bad is just bland and has issues I already noted. The lighting team decided they needed to add some effects to certain scenes they never should have. The movie is arguably too fast-paced, edited down, and could have benefited greatly from another thirty minutes both to get to know the characters and to more fully integrate the mobile suits. The mobile suit concept is badly integrated into the movie and has relatively little screentime. This is undoubtedly because CGI was expensive as balls, but still, this movie originally was fully backed by Sunrise Studios and god knows they probably could have afforded more.

Is it a good Gundam movie? My answer to that, to my surprise, is yes, this is a good Gundam movie. The mecha design is good, the main characters are likable enough and manage to avoid all the usual Gundam protagonist tropes that tend to infuriate people, the details it adds to the universe are coherent to what exists and seem positive additions. Despite the paucity of mecha combat, what we do get is of a high caliber; the only other stuff with fights this good are some of the combats from 0080 and 0083. I understand why people would wish to exile it from the canon; plotwise and tonally it has only Zeta for company, and a lot of the expected Gundam tropes are either not present or played very differently. But change is not necessarily a bad thing, and in the end, I don't think this movie deserves the exile from canon it's been subjected to. I'm not sure where it would fit, but it's far from the abomination in the eyes of man and God it's often made out to be.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
In other Gundam-related news: Tomino talks about Reconguista In G, reveals himself to be something of a ****.

“Gundam shows made by other people are crap, including Origin.”

“Sometimes I force myself to watch them, but I can only last 5 minutes.”

And my personal favorite, regarding Murrue from SEED (I've got big problems with SEED, less with Destiny, but still, this is...yeah):

“There’s no way a beautiful woman with a big chest would be a battleship captain”.

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sounds about right for Tomino.

I wasn't aware of this.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
i've been watching Part 3 of JoJo's bizarre adventures, with amazing lines such as "OH MY GOHD" and "HORY ****". Couldn't find a full English dub but thankfully the Japanese voice acting is sufficiently hammy.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if you enjoy engrish in your anime, have you seen Panty and Stocking?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I watched all of it in English a year or two ago.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you missed out on that then.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I have only seen parts 1 and 2 of Jojo's. I should get onto watching part 3 as well as finished the rest of GaoGaiGar.

Offline FIZ

Not series or Anime, but if you are a fan of Event Horizon you might get a kick out of Infini on Netflix.  I was going to add some more if you like "" but it basically gives the plot away. 

I just looked at the Trailer for that. Actually looks pretty good. Too bad I don't have Netflix.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Welp, looks like the Fall season is right around the corner.

Looking forward to Gochiusa, OPM, Utawarerumono, Gundam Orphans and Noragami.
Oh and of course GuP Movie.

Though the Young Black Jack could be interesting too.
Habeeb it...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Owarimonogatari is coming, and I'm waiting for it anxiously.
el hombre vicio...

I'm more anxiously waiting for them to pull their heads out of their asses and make Kizumonogatari already!

Seriously, though. It's like having a giant building missing one of its key foundations.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm more anxiously waiting for them to pull their heads out of their asses and make Kizumonogatari already!

Seriously, though. It's like having a giant building missing one of its key foundations.

If they are not teasing us again...

http://www.kizumonogatari-movie.com/

el hombre vicio...

Yeah, I saw that.

Still not holding my breath though. Could just be them trolling everyone.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"