Author Topic: House of The Dying Sun  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: House of The Dying Sun
Great game, here is my review: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197987983168/recommended/283160/

I'm doin a little writing for this

I noticed before looking at the credits :-) and again its ****ing brilliant. And I *liked* the killing ;-) for I am the harbinger.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Mikes

Finished this yesterday on Warlord, then went right back in until I finished it on the higher difficulty as well. Then played it again on the other computer because ... well it wasn't finished on the other computer yet and it's such a blast  to play LOL. :-)

Absolutely fantastic.

The first ending I picked gave me a bit of a "Windmills" vibe and i mean that in the most positive way imaginable.

It's short yes, but I would love if more games were short and THAT good and full of "clever" content  (instead of deliberately bloated with filler content like most publisher games these days)

Still ........ maybe we can has more things to kill in the (expansion?) future? Another rogue branch of the false kings family or underlings must be out there somewhere for sure, right? ;-)
(I.e. any DLC or expansion that gets released will definitely be instantly bought.)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
There any plans to do another pass on the art?  I'm not the biggest fan of the "finished unfinished" style going around these days.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There any plans to do another pass on the art?  I'm not the biggest fan of the "finished unfinished" style going around these days.

No, there are no plans to ruin the game's awesome look.

Offline Turambar

No, there are no plans to ruin the game's awesome look.

Will there perhaps be mod support, so players can adjust style choices that offend them?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:59:03 pm by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I dunno, we'll see what Tipul's up for. He's neck deep in bugfixes right now.

You can probably substitute the textures in the game files for something slathered with greebles
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Turambar

You can probably substitute the textures in the game files for something slathered with greebles

I just don't feel like flying around next to blank triangles the size of battlecruisers.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This game looks like the future of those awesome early-90s cabinets that you played as a kid without really understanding what was happening, to you it was just a neuromancer plunge into a clean eerie world of pure polygons and alien rules, and you've been trying your whole gaming life to get some of that sparkle of awe back but everyone wants to put more normal maps and greasy smoothing on everything in UE4.

Offline Turambar

This game looks like the future of those awesome early-90s cabinets that you played as a kid without really understanding what was happening, to you it was just a neuromancer plunge into a clean eerie world of pure polygons and alien rules, and you've been trying your whole gaming life to get some of that sparkle of awe back but everyone wants to put more normal maps and greasy smoothing on everything in UE4.

That's cool.  I'll buy a copy when i can switch out those roids, or someone else switches them out, or you give people the ability to switch them out, or confirm that that ability will be added in at some later date.

Sorry, I never played those early-90s cabinets.  I played Freespace 2.  A nice chunk of the magic of Freespace 2 was that it was ugly as hell, but could be made less ugly with the love of the users over time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:30:11 pm by Turambar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
indie_gamers.txt

"This one man team left a major studio and spent years of his life and tons of his own money to make a cool game in a dead genre, he can't even model and is totally dependent on what he's able to afford from contractors"

"He should've bought some better asteroids, lmao owned"

Offline Turambar

"He should've bought some better asteroids, lmao owned"

If I make him some, will he use them? I thought it was a style choice.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No way, but since it's Unity maybe you can figure out how to put them in!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Sigh, why people are so vocal against stylization?
What I saw on youtube is just gorgeous, but then again, "more polygons means more emotions."
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I think the game's art style looks great, the only reason I haven't bought the game yet is that it's still listed as early access.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Turambar

What I saw on youtube is just gorgeous, but then again, "more polygons means more emotions."

It's not that I'm against stylization.  It's that this game looks really interesting and fun, and it's mostly all there, except for one art asset that looks unfinished, which happens to be HUGE and in a bunch of levels.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Well, I'm hesitant... I rarely purchase Early Access titles, the few being Kerbal Space Program and BroForce, which finished.

But a friend will hook me up so I'll judge it after crashing through a few levels.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Stylistic choices are by their nature subjective choices. The fact that one man's retro is another man's "that looks like ass" should neither surprise you nor be something you lament.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mikes

It's one of exactly two games where I have every single achievement on Steam now. :)

And I still wanna play it more! LOL.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Stylistic choices are by their nature subjective choices. The fact that one man's retro is another man's "that looks like ass" should neither surprise you nor be something you lament.

I never see people complaining that a movie looks like ass just because it's animated instead of live action, there is still a stigma against stylistic choices different from "trying to be as realistic as possible" that harkens back to the '90s and the ealy '00s, few people say they don't like the art style of Street Fighter because they don't like that particular art style, a lot say they don't like it because it's cartoony, at least in my experience.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor