Author Topic: Sneaking about, and looking good doing it.  (Read 22503 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Sneaking about, and looking good doing it.
HTL Pegasus.

UPDATED!!!
The model is now fully finished (hopefully) and officially released.

This ship still doesn't have shinemaps, and what I did won't be near as obvious without them.  And yes, the pilot is to scale.  I still have no idea how he fit.

I've also got the Hippocrates and Typhon in the HTL process.  Both of those are coming very slowly though.

EDIT: Oh boy, there's some kind of artifact underneath these things that's only visible in certain situations.  I'll have to fix that up a bit before this is ready for prime-time.  But if anyone knows where a shinemap might be hiding, it'd greatly improve what I'm trying to do here.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 10:22:36 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline starfox

Wow, it certainly looks promising...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Promising ? That thing is teh hotness ...really needs a shinemap though.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Uh... why the hell does a spacecraft have intakes?!?

Other than that, it's a good start! :yes:

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
They use the dark matter for propulsion of course! :nod:

The design looks pretty good. It was a great looking ship to start with and now it's even better. Just waiting to see this one with animated glowmaps...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Um... I don't mean to be rude but I feel I should say it...

...aside from the cockpit, I don't see any difference at all. Some elements may look a bit more rounded but generally it looks very very flat (as in... the hull doesn't look like it has any modelling where the textures are).

Perhaps it's my eyesight however, I just can't see any little ridges etc. I don't suppose you could post an untextured version?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i have to agree, i dont see the hi-polyness.

as for intakes, lets just say they are the freespace equivelant of a buszard collector. or nebular gas postburner apuratures :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CaptJosh

What are you calling intakes? If it's the two holes above and behind the cockpit, I think those are the primary mounts. If it's the two large scalopings to either side, if you've seen the craft in game those are actually openings in the superstructure of the fighter.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
Holy crap. One my my favorite designs. Though, yes, I don't see much difference other than the cockpit. Has much promise though.  On a side note:  did anyone ever do a reskin of that ship?

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Originally posted by CaptJosh
What are you calling intakes? If it's the two holes above and behind the cockpit, I think those are the primary mounts. If it's the two large scalopings to either side, if you've seen the craft in game those are actually openings in the superstructure of the fighter.
Oigh vey! I was talking about the large, intake port structures at the point where the superstructure first meets again after the two holes, and although you make a good point about likely being gun-ports, my observation was based on humour. Also, I find it rather hurtful that you'd think me moronic enough to confuse Intakes with giant holes in the sides of the craft :sigh: ...

Offline CaptJosh

Take it as a comment on my confusion rather than your intelligence.

Oy vey. You'd think I'd know better than to post right after waking up by now...

BTW, the ones behind the holes themselves are probably the missile tubes. Nice detailing, there. I don't recall seeing such detail on the original model.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I think that this is lloking great compared with the original.  I'm surprised that you didn't recess the ventral cutouts, though...

Great to hear that you have a Typhon in the works!
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I can't believe people would not download this to see for themselves what I changed.  Fine.

The reason I didn't recess the ventral cutouts is that the ship is just too thin.  I can't recess them all without running in to geometry from the other side, and if I can't recess them all it would be inconsistant to recess some of them.  I didn't change the overall shape much at all, though, because I didn't see anywhere (other than the cockpit and some slight work on the engines) that major changes would look better than the original.

And the "intakes" are quite clearly there on the original model, if anyone cares to look it up.  Maybe I should compose a comparison shot.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:57:24 am by 570 »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think you need to add detail on the underside too, but otherwise tis very nice.

Maybe add in some detailing to those recessed bits, like Bob did with the Hercs engine 'pods'.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I downloaded it immeadiately ...hence the praise. But it needs a shinemap, so the recessed parts are really visible.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That was intended to be a not-so-subtile hint to Kalithunder ;)

Originally posted by aldo_14
I think you need to add detail on the underside too, but otherwise tis very nice.

Maybe add in some detailing to those recessed bits, like Bob did with the Hercs engine 'pods'.

I thought about that.  Unfortunately, I don't have the depth to work with that Bob did with the Herc so I don't think the detailing would do much more than cover up the glowmap.  I'll play with it though, because it does have that pesky in-game artifact still.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 12:35:29 pm by 570 »

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Cool. I never much cared for the Pegasus, but I'm liking it now. :yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline starfox

I'll admit I looked the model bit hastily for the first, but after a few serious test runs the Pegasus really looked much nicer. After the shinemaps have put in, I'm certain it looks even more impressive.

Btw, is the "HTL - Status v.2" thread updated on regular basis, or when something new pops up. Wouldn't it hurt to put a link there ?

Keep up the impressive work !!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:02:45 pm by 1857 »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ok, so I figured out what the strange geometry is.  It's the insignia.  Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way to get around this short of not having any insignia at all.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i got some nice hires textures to go with that
the glowmaps gonna be a ***** though, i dont know how to do that animation stuff
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D