Author Topic: Sneaking about, and looking good doing it.  (Read 22510 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Sneaking about, and looking good doing it.
Originally posted by StratComm
Ok, so I figured out what the strange geometry is.  It's the insignia.  Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way to get around this short of not having any insignia at all.

Which is fine. I don't see why a sleek, dark, stealth vessel should have a large pink square on it's side anyways.

Oh, and I did DL the model and look at it. I agree with aldo, but at one point, I did the same thing, and attempted to HTL it only to find that the top and bottome will crisscross.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I was going for something like Nico put on his Ezechiel; a small, unobtrusive placement that doesn't compromise the dark nature of the ship.  But I'm inclined to agree; squad logo rendering has not kept pace with the rest of the graphics so they're out of place now on anything.

I've already cheated and made the top thicker.  I'm still trying to figure out the bottom, so until I figure out the best way to do it this will remain a WIP.

Originally posted by Turambar
i got some nice hires textures to go with that
the glowmaps gonna be a ***** though, i dont know how to do that animation stuff

The textures I want.  The glow I'm not too worried about right now, though it would be nice to get them back later on.  Right now, the resolution is, to put it mildly, terrible.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:36:06 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Fractux

Nice work, StratComm! I like what you've dont to the mesh.

I've always like the Pegasus's design, but I've never been a fan of the textures it was given. Maybe it just the shade of Blue... heh.

Than again, I've completely failed at ever finishing my own textures, so its not really an issue I have the right to bring up too often :)

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Looking very nice.  And a hi-poly Typhon in the works?  That has to be a hard ship to HTL-ize, but I'm looking forward to seeing where you'll go with it. :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Why don't you extrude those areas instead of recessing them? There's no reason to make it thinner than it already is. :p
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by StratComm
I can't believe people would not download this to see for themselves what I changed.  Fine.

Sorry man, I don't have FS2 installed right now (it doesn't look so good without shinemaps and since my 9800 Pro can't do shinemaps for FS2 there's little point. Anyway.. that's why I didn't try it for myself :)

That said, I'm glad that I did indeed miss the detail that's clearly there. In that case it's the textures letting the model down. Also, it might be nice to have the details extruded as Galemp said... as the blue elements look like piping of some sort that should be jutting out anyways.

All just my 10 cents, but still :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
From what little bit od detailing that is in the textures (it's not much) the parts that are recessed are clearly supposed to be underneath the superstructure.  When I said I cheated, what I meant was that I'm actually making the frame thicker around the recesses (I extruded the man body around the holes, not the other way around) so in that sense it is thicker than it was.  The blue elements could potentially be elevated segments above the plate of the recesses, though.  I'll have to play with that some.

Also, I did go ahead and recess the holes on the underside.  I should fill them up with techy stuff, but the thought of doing that quite frankly scares me.  I want to see the high-res maps before I go and make the model completely incompatable.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Beta 2.  Link in the first post has been updated.  The insignia is gone, and the underside has some detail added in.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

thats the texture, FS2 isnt happy with me at the moment, so if one of you guys could turn it into a .tga, load it into FS2 and disable the glowmaps, then take a screenie it'd be appreciated
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy

It's not perfect for what I did, as you changed the cockpit edge so much that my model no longer fits.  Not much I can do about this, as the shape's pretty important and I'm not reworking the cockpit.  There are also some changes in the width of particular sections of blue stripy bits, as I'm now getting blue outside of the recesses on my model.  But if we want to accept this as "canon" then I can adapt that detail.

If I send you a .3ds of the model or something, can you adapt the texture to suit by chance?

Offline Turambar

i'll just eyeball it ( i havent got any modelling skillz)

i'll fix that right up for ya
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Turambar

allrighty

i sent you an updated version of the texture, mostly to see if everything fits right now
if its all good, i'll touch it up a bit more and make it look more pretty

now one of the most deadly fighters has some more style. when the terran gauntlet first was released for FS2 back when :v: was pre THQ. I used to play that mission with the stealth fighter with the right guns she owns as long as you keep moving. if you can't pick them up then you don't know someone's about to shove something up your tail pipe.  :drevil:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy

Much better.  I can clean up the rest in the model.  You have a shinemap to go with that high-res texture? ;7

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about an animated glowmap to go with this redux?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Turambar

i'll see if i can cook one up

you oughtta show everyone the bottom, what did you do with it?  does it work with what i did?

edit: i still see some bad bits in the texture too, let me clean those up too
(some blue bits still sticking out)

i'll take care of it tomorrow/saturday

i got a chem test, then im going to the fair with my girlfriend
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:56:29 pm by 1794 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy

The bottom has much wider margins of error.  Everything matches up well, for now.  It's still TBD how well I'll be able to microdetail that though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:12:24 am by 570 »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Now we're talking, I can really see the detail there. She looks great :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You ought to bump out those pipes. It doesn't have to be much, but have the cross section like this --^-- and make sure it's smoothed properly, it should look great. See how I did it on the solar panels of the Faustus. Don't forget to map those extruded edges, too; the hi-poly Fenris used a seperate map but you should be able to include it in the main Pegasus hi-res UV.

Overall, though, it's fantastic! Great job. :) Keep it up.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by Turambar
edit: i still see some bad bits in the texture too, let me clean those up too
(some blue bits still sticking out)

i'll take care of it tomorrow/saturday
 Don't worry about that on the wings, I've adjusted the UV space to fix that and changing it back will be more trouble than its worth.  The only spot that bothers me is the little chunk of blue that's climbing out of the recess near the nose; the foremost of those lines needs to be pulled back a little bit.  Since you're obviously very good at eyeballing things, I'm posting a closeup of the affected section here.

And if you get the chance, could you put in a long and narrow "bevel edge detail" along the top-right corner of the map?  It shouldn't be used by anything on the model, and it will allow me to map the the recesses more appropriately.  Preferably there'd be two; one darker and one slightly lighter (to match the extrusion color on the underside).  They don't have to be very wide, as they're mapping to a surface that's very small even if you're right on top of it.

EDIT: I've modeled in the major pipes on the underside.  I'm waiting for Turambar to get the blue stripes finalized before I touch them, though I'm really inclined to say that, because they glow, modeling them in is probably a complete waste of time.  Not that I won't try ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 04:10:36 pm by 570 »