Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 222797 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
[Edit] Also interesting to note that in the beginning, we actually had more players there than the game supports. And this stuff is only just getting started :)

Could this be the reason why my computer suddenly died?

Offline Shade

Doubt it, since they just joined as obs instead and everything was fine.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Any idea why it crashed? I think it may have... Overheated. :shaking:

Offline Shade

Did you get any error message or was it a complete shutdown? Because I haven't heard of any MP bugs that could cause the latter, whereas there are a couple of 'normal' crash bugs in mantis. So if it's the latter, heat sounds likely.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Meh, I think it was an overheat

Offline Shade

Well... next time, bring ice.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I did but it melted. (seriously)

Offline Shade

Hmm, you might be able to downclock the CPU a bit then, that can really help heat issues. Even a few hundred Mhz can make a significant difference. And reduce detail settings a bit too so the video card won't make up for it. Oh, and bring more ice, too :p
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:55:43 pm by Shade »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That was really fun :) And CP, that mission of yours is crazy. First time I've run out of respawns, though half of those were due to the AI camping the respawn point :p

I guess I am becoming infamous for this kind of thing. :nervous: On the plus side though, you can rack up kills very quickly when the Vasudans swarm that respawn area. I ended up with 59.

And yet we nearly had it. Just gotta be a bit faster at taking out the main turrets on the heavier warships and we keep the corvette alive. 5% more health when the final destroyer jumps in and we got it.

[Edit] Also interesting to note that in the beginning, we actually had more players there than the game supports. And this stuff is only just getting started :)

We actually did very well, as that mission and the OOG medal is supposed to be one of the toughest to get among the validated ones. There should generally be one person focusing solely on defending the corvette after it arrives (first taking down the Bakhas and later the beam cannons), but I forgot about that when the Hatshepsut initially refused to show up.

And yeah, it was great to see so many people. We can try a dogfight next time we get that many. There will be another session later tonight, so hopefully we'll get a nice turnout again.

I'll check which missions give medals and under what conditions they do so before we play next time.

Something freaky just happened. My computer crashed, for some strange reason. I started it back up and tried to join the game again as observer. FreeSpace crashed on me and it says "FreeSpace has encountered an error and must close blablabla." Then I tried again, and then it said "cannot join because another person is trying to join the game at this time. Try again later". Then, after a while, it said "Join request rejected because identical player is already playing." For the rest of the Sirius blockade mission, it did that for me. Then, after the game had ended and I turned off my Laptop, it said "Online Users: Snail"...

The double user thing is a known problem. In any case, the ingame joining feature is unfinished and doesn't quite work at this point. I think the game is not supposed to let you do it at all, actually.

Meh, I think it was an overheat

Post your system specs. There are various programs available to monitor hardware temperatures. We can check if anything looks off the wall.

Offline Shade

I guess I am becoming infamous for this kind of thing.
It was also one of the most fun missions, because it was so hectic. So it's a good kind of crazy.

I ended up with 59
Wow. I think I had 4 fighter and 1 warship kills, plus assists on the remaining warships. And all but one of the fighters were just trebs I lobbed off while getting into bombing range, though I did dogfight one because the bastard wouldn't leave me alone :p

There will be another session later tonight, so hopefully we'll get a nice turnout again.
Really? I better take a quick nap then so I can play again, having too much fun with these sessions to miss it. Just having someone to ***** at when you get rammed by an arriving capship makes such a difference ;)

[Edit] Ah, the 3am one... guess that would be tonight for you. Tomorrow for me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:36:38 pm by Shade »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Any word on those black boxes around the bombers? That was bothering me...

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
On the plus side though, you can rack up kills very quickly when the Vasudans swarm that respawn area. I ended up with 59.

DISCLAIMER: This is only possible if you are the host, or are playing at an LAN party.

----

@ Snail, did you try running the game without one side of the case?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:33:13 pm by BloodEagle »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I've had my server up for 20 minutes, should I just shut it down?

::EDIT::

For making an ornery Cajun wait more than twenty minutes, Command is proud to present you with The Medal of Tardy Bravado.

I'll make an image for it later.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:52:48 pm by BloodEagle »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Cole, what did you do with the games I put in at the end of August?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Sorry, I got tied up with something earlier. I can see your game and will join once it ends.

On the plus side though, you can rack up kills very quickly when the Vasudans swarm that respawn area. I ended up with 59.

DISCLAIMER: This is only possible if you are the host, or are playing at an LAN party.

It depends on the latency. It's still mostly possible if your ping is consistently below about 80, as that makes the primary weapon lead distance fairly small and easy to get used to.

Cole, what did you do with the games I put in at the end of August?

I think he's away right now. Just post your times here and I'll add them to the schedule.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Do you guys allow spectators, or not at all because of lag?

:)

I can't play anything above Medium, hence the question... plus it's almost lunch time here as at the time of typing XD
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I can't play above "Very Easy" but I still joined in. :nervous:

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Yeah well, actually I don't feel like playing. More like I want to watch a couple matches, see how HLPers really fly and the like. :D

Another one of those Sunday afternoons... :P
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hey! There's a game on right now! How dare you not tell anyone. :p

Bad on you, BloodEagle!

You know it's not exactly a battle "night" if it's at 7AM in the morning (well, 3AM).

Oh, well, I missed it. :o
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:54:14 am by Snail »

Offline Shade

There was a game on for pretty much the last 5 hours straight :p Oh, and if you feel like being obs, just join. It's open to all, and obs don't count towards the 8 player limit in coop games.