Author Topic: RELEASE: Hi-poly Knossos  (Read 31041 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That would be pretty neat.. at least for some of the major texture details!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
IMHO, no. I don't think the Knossos would really benefit from that many polies.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I'm not sure that your wirefram shot is telling the whole story, as that poly count seems oddly high. The Hatty is near the 30K mark, and it's surprising that the Knossos would approach those numbers. Am I missing something in regards to where all of those polies are going?
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Kolgena

I think he means that that's the total for all 8 subunits, unless I'm missing something here.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It sounds a heap, but 32k polys total would mean a poly budget of 4k per component, which isn't really all that much compared to most HTL ships of comparable size of an individual component. As such, detail is going to have to be somewhat limited I guess. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That doesn't really matter a massive amount in the long run, I think, since the components are just about always in motion, so you won't be able to pick out fine details anyway.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
That all makes sense. I would also say that the knossos being in motion will make it hard to pick out any details.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Okay, so no modelled-in waviness then? Like Kolgena and VA said, it's the grand total polycount I'm talking about.

Offline peterv

Knossos being in motion is one thing. There's also Knossos in stills.
And since this is a very beautiful (and big) design i think that the polycount is not that important.
Afterall it's less than 10 high-poly fighters.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Knossos being in motion is one thing. There's also Knossos in stills.
And since this is a very beautiful (and big) design i think that the polycount is not that important.
Afterall it's less than 10 high-poly fighters.

The poly count is important, especially on objects like the Knossos, where you can't see the detail.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The poly count over all is less important than the texture count.

And normal maps can only go so far.

And how many of these are in any one mission?

I'd say, keep the existing working item. Make a duplicate where the "ripples" are modeled in. We'll see how much it increases poly count during smoothing and conversion and which impacts performance the most. If it's negligible, we'll put in the "ripple" version.

Of course, I'm only speaking as someone who can barely manage to import a DAE, size and smooth it, export it and have it turn into a POF in Blender, so I realize that this is something I can't really do and I appreciate the amount of skill and work it takes to do this, and I think it would look really sexy. And I think the engine can afford it, but it would be better to have one that isn't to fall back on, just in case.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Okay, well, here's a preliminary conversion attached. It's a tilemapped, unLOD-ed version. What I intend to do is unwrap this model onto a single UV-space and bake these textures onto it, and combine it with an AO bake.

I'm aware of two texture-distortion issues in the current model, which I'll fix before baking - see picture below. If you spot any other errors, please let me know.

[image expired]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:39:00 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
These are looking really good!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

About done unwrapping detail1, I'll create the detail0 mapping based on this one.

[image expired]

[image expired]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:39:21 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

In PCS2, Header tab, there's a section called "Cross Sections". The original Knossos has 25 of them. What is that, does it actually do something?

Also, do I copy mass, centre of mass offset and MMOI from the retail model or does that not matter?

Edit: Oh, and does anyone know how to bake textures with alpha channel in Blender?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Copy over all the retail data that you can. Don't change things unless you have a good reason to.

In fact, when the Mass was incorrect on the high-poly Cain model, it actually broke a mission.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Right, if nobody knows what those cross-sections are for, I'm not gonna put them all in manually. So yeah it's done. MediaFire download
If anyone feels like improving on the maps, that would be much appreciated; because of my inexperience with texturing, the shinemap is just the diffuse map without AO, and there's no normal map. But otherwise, it's just plug and play.

Edit: Download here
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:01:18 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Edit: Oh, and does anyone know how to bake textures with alpha channel in Blender?

I don't. But I know how you can cheat:

Extract the Alpha channel from the image in photoshop/Gimp. Use it as a diffuse map. Apply it to your model. Repeat for as many tiling textures as you have.

Bake the Black-and-white textures to a single black-and-white texture.

Use the black-and-white bake texture as an Alpha channel for the final texture.

Profit.

I suppose it's for the shinemaps?

P.S. Very good job, BTW.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Loving these - I just finished another run through FS2 (with BP shaders and a new hud, although antipodes is still rather unstable), and I couldn't help but notice the knossos as it is now.  an upgrade has been a long time coming, thank you!
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Enioch is awesome :)

Shinemap
Normal map

Edit: See here
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:00:42 am by FreeSpaceFreak »