Author Topic: Freespace Upgrade 4.5.x Discussion Thread  (Read 5988 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Freespace Upgrade 4.5.x Discussion Thread
Starts Here.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Freespace Upgrade 4.5.x Discussion Thread
Obviously the recently-released Erinyes and Centaur models would be included.  Given the string of encouraging images being posted in the Meme thread I would hope that work is progressing on the Faustus, but someone with access to Hades would need to weigh in if that is a short-term possibility or not.  There's also the upgraded Lucifer that Oddgrim was showing off back in the spring.  I'd also like to point out there is a slight problem with the Boadicea, (now THERE'S a model that's itching for an upgrade), that's been around since retail but it only shows up on a debug.  It has two dockpoints that have the same name.  I fixed it in my install by adding a -L for one and a -R for the other (left and right).  I think the Sathanas distantce model suffers from a similar problem.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Highlight please~

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Obviously the recently-released Erinyes and Centaur models would be included.
Already in the files, awaiting for release.

Given the string of encouraging images being posted in the Meme thread I would hope that work is progressing on the Faustus...
I doubt if I can finish it for 4.5. Mesh is complete, I started working on it but looks like other stuff demands my attention more.

There's also the upgraded Lucifer that Oddgrim was showing off back in the spring.
Unlikely to be included in 4.5 unless Oddgrim pop-up from nowhere. His inactivity period is likely to be caused by overwhelming amount of irl projects, like it always does.

I'd also like to point out there is a slight problem with the Boadicea, (now THERE'S a model that's itching for an upgrade)
WiP

Overally it's not going to be huge release like the last couple ones, but it has cool stuff in. Mjn is back in bussiness, I managed to find some time to add my 2 cents to the pile. Aside brand-new Erinyes and Centaur, it will contain upgrades for existing assets like Leviathan and Rakshasa, FS1 versions of Fenris and Lev, new subspace effect, bugfixes and stuff.

It's not gonna be that awesome release with 3 HTL destroyers :]. But I doubt if anybody will be disappointed.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

IS the Erinyes model glitched or something?  It only shows up as a cockpit. There is no rest of the ship

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Check integrity of your files. The issue you experience is likely to be caused by corrupted download. FSO can't read damaged VP file that's containing textures.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

OKay, its working now, and the models are quite impressive. I see the Argo has finally gotten a facelift

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
OKay, its working now, and the models are quite impressive. I see the Argo has finally gotten a facelift
Negative. Argo still uses vanilla mesh. One of FSU artists - BrotherBryon is working on update, but BB is busy man and can only pop-up from time to time to space a moment for FS work.

Next revision of MediaVPs is likely to contain his reworked Mara.

Offline Logrus

Nebula missions do look strange: I can see the black silouettes of all the ships present, an any distance. Any way to fix this?

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Nebula missions do look strange: I can see the black silouettes of all the ships present, an any distance. Any way to fix this?
If you have post-processing turned off, try turning it on.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Logrus

Thanks, it worked!

Offline Antares

Someone might want to give the main FS2 campaign a once-over. The loadout for "Endgame" includes both Kaysers and Trebuchets.  :p
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

That appears to be regular ol' retail data, so nothing we can do about that if that's an issue. It doesn't seem to be an MVPs thing, if that's what you mean.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:34:42 pm by Asteroth »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
MediaVPs however has its own set of mission files, so that the nebulae and shivan weapons are properly used. So in theory they could include bug fixes with the MediaVPs.

But well, no idea if things like bugfixes are actually intended here because of the holy grail of retail experience.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:59:57 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Damage decals if those are possible now.

Better weapon impact effects. Especially for cap ship blob turrets - they look like they are hardly scratching the paint when capships are trading blows with them.

Any chance of making the engine plumes turn off when a ship is stationary?

Different colours / particle effects for the different beam weapons (see https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97951.msg1912593#msg1912593 for more details.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Damage decals if those are possible now.

Better weapon impact effects. Especially for cap ship blob turrets - they look like they are hardly scratching the paint when capships are trading blows with them.

Different colours / particle effects for the different beam weapons (see https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97951.msg1912593#msg1912593 for more details.

It does look kind of silly when a large ship that has taken a pounding and still looks intact violently explodes when a beam glances an antenna

Offline Antares

As I recall, we've had damage decals for a while now, but they were removed because they were taking up tons of memory. (They also looked kind of funny because they were all flat, which meant that their edges would protrude off the rounded corners of models.)

They do get smaller the slower a ship is moving, but turning them off entirely is generally reserved for being disabled, which I think is preferable to 'reserve' for them, being such an important state to quickly tell just by looking at them.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
They do get smaller the slower a ship is moving, but turning them off entirely is generally reserved for being disabled, which I think is preferable to 'reserve' for them, being such an important state to quickly tell just by looking at them.

There is a SExp that can disable (and re-enable) them without changing anything about the function of the subsystem
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Antares

Not sure when they were introduced, but Bearbaiting is seeing some changes in behavior vs. retail:

- The Sathanas's flak guns no longer fire (which admittedly makes the mission easier, but also makes disabling the guns kind of pointless), and

- It appears that it's no longer possible for the Phoenicia to escape; it is always destroyed by the Sathanas, even when giving its "Screw this, we're outta here!" message. (This means Walls Closing is no longer a valid campaign.  :( )

Just tested this in retail with the latest nightly and it worked fine, so it's not an engine problem.